• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The Move is on - Stairs and 3 tons

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Agree with all the accolades, it's the type of project would like to have been able to help with. I've been following from the start and enjoying the engineering solutions and pictures.
What machines are you keeping?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've purchased a lathe, a Bridgeport mill clone, a belt sander, a sandblast cabinet, wash tank, compressor, and several pedestal grinders.

Somehow, to make room, I'll have to sell one of my mills and one of my lathes. Down the road, probably another lathe.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Well, there is moving 2 more things from his back yard to my shop and one more lift outta the basement.

--This last lift is the most complex and dangerous lift of them all - the surface grinder is too tall to go up the stairs without laying it down... once it is at the top of the stairs, it has to be righted before it goes on the landing.

I'm pretty sure how to do it, but it will take some fabrication and setup.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
We loaded the LEBLONDE lathe headstock this morning and took it to John C.'s garage.

Attachments

• Offload cropped.jpg
    Offload cropped.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Wowa……. That image really gives some scale to what was actually pulled out of that basement:eek:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
So all of the lathe and tooling is in my garage. Just one 'little' piece of the mill to bring over, the mill base (900 lbs by itself)

However, I promised Bert I'd get his surface grinder out of his basement as well. It needs more prep and disassembly, and more building is needed... (the pictures will be fab - wait and see!!!)

-- So the reassembly process of the lathe begins. I'll start a separate thread for that one, assuming people would like to see how it goes.

... anyone interested in how much it costs to move a bunch of machines up stairs and relocate them 27 Km away?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Where is the mill base? Still in the basement?

Of course we want to see how the lathe reassembly goes and are interested in the final cost of removal.

What's the plan for the surface grinder? Can you break it down into manageable pieces?

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The mill base is in Bert's back yard, and I'll move it as soon as I have room for it. That will prob be in 3 weeks.

We have to lay the SG down on it's back onto a cradle, as the back of the machine is rounded. It will come up the 45 degree slope of the stairs on its back. However we have to remove the hydraulic table piston, and we need to drain the hydraulic tank, as we didn't drain it. It wouldn't have been necessary if Plan A would have worked.

There will be a neat trick at the top of the stairs as the SG is 73" tall and the landing is 39" wide. You will see how we solved that one when we move it, by pictures.....

The SG cannot be disassembled, as it would take a factory technician to reassemble it due to critical alignment requirements. The spec is to allow only 5 micron per 100mm out of square.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Is this basically the concept you're going to use?

Elkay-one-piece-piano-dolly-%28for-grands%29.jpg

(That's a grand piano on the dolly if the picture isn't clear.)

Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I can see the picture now. Still can't see the first one, but no biggie.

The stairs are covered with 2X8 on flat and we have a wheeled platform for dragging it up. So the cradle will be just 3/4 plywood with 2 X 4s cut to match the contour of the spine of the machine.

trlvn

Ultra Member
The stairs are covered with 2X8 on flat and we have a wheeled platform for dragging it up. So the cradle will be just 3/4 plywood with 2 X 4s cut to match the contour of the spine of the machine.
That's basically how the piano cradle works. The key is that the wheels at the corner are in contact whether the item is laid down or stood up. That makes it "easier" to manipulate. Not easy but somewhat less difficult. The frame doesn't even have to be super-strong since it is securely strapped to the item being moved.

Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
So Bert hired out the surface grinder lift (what a relief!) so my moving of stuff is over, except for the mill base, which will happen late next week, and is very easy.

I wish that were all, but I have to repair all the wiring that had to be cut. And deinstall the rotary phase converter. So not quite done, yet - but soon!