• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

The Move is on - Stairs and 3 tons

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm starting the big move from Bert's shop to my garage. I'll be starting on the 3400 (3700?) pound lathe -I'll know the weight soon! Then the Mill will be disassembled, and all the small bits will be moved.

This has been months in preparation, as the stairs and the turns created some serious obstacles, and the professionals wanted ten thousand dollars just to move the lathe.

The first project was to build a traveling 'joist hoist' along with carriage. heavy parts will be hoisted and placed on the wooden cradle, prior to being hauled out the window. I used the JH to help assemble the gantry crane, then disaster happened! I missed taking one dimension: the lowest point in the basement is the beam that separates the machines to the way out: my crane was 5" too tall!

So a week of modifying the crane, and the crane is in operation. I've now got about a third of the tear down of the lathe done.

Here are pictures of the joist hoist and modified gantry crane. the video of part 1 of the disassembly will take about a week to edit and process...

Attachments

• Cradle.JPG
    Cradle.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 0
  • JoistHoist.JPG
    JoistHoist.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ModifiedGantryCrane.JPG
    ModifiedGantryCrane.JPG
    343.8 KB · Views: 0

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
You're amazing @Dabbler. You've got the tenacity of a badger on these lifts. Keep us all posted. I'm tired just imagining the work going into this.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Looks just like My basement ceiling.... at least my lathe move is straight up the hole and out the door (kinda) .... my guess is that lathe went in vertical, like moving 3seat a couch around a small corner

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The movie footage isn't edited yet, my bad, but I'm just learning these tools.

What is left is the headstock and the lathe bed on the stands. The rest is off the lathe,but I encountered a problem, well I knew it on the last post, but now I have a way to fix it.... When I measured the old 4X8 beam for the new 4X4 beam, I forgot that changing the triangle's height would change the hypotenuse length. In sort, the legs no longer stand at 90 degrees, and essential thing for the crane to be strong.

So I will be drilling new holes in the diagonal members before taking the headstock off the lathe.

For a teaser, here are a few shots of the progress:

Attachments

• Apron and QCGB off.JPG
    Apron and QCGB off.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tailstock and cross slide off.JPG
    tailstock and cross slide off.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 0

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Bridge crane is the way to go to move these machines. It is so much easier then any other method except maybe forklift if tool is on a pallet. Let me know if you need some help.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Amazing work!
How did all of this machinery get down there?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Tom Kitta I have a gantry crane and that seems just perfect for disassembly... Solving how to lift each piece out of the basement needed some creative thinking, however. That phase is coming soon!

The lathe is now disassembled. @RobinHood was available, and we spent 7 hours getting the headstock off the ways, and the lathe bed off the stands. One oopsie - a missed bolt during the bed lift, but no harm done. No big surprises, but a nice thing was that each piece was a lot lighter than we expected. Headstock 475 lbs, Lathe bed 690 lbs, Headstock end lathe stand 500 lbs. A good news story is that the 400 lb small moving dolly from Princess Auto holds the 475 lb heasdstock very well, and we managed to even roll it around overloaded!

Pretty soon there will be a Window Lift Party, where the lathe bed, the mill ram and the mill ring will all be extricated from Bert's basement and put on a borrowed trailer... I think in about a week.
the Go Pro malfunctioned and there are no shots of the final disassembly (except all black ones)! arrg!

sorry about the no photos thing.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
@Tom Kitta I have a gantry crane and that seems just perfect for disassembly... Solving how to lift each piece out of the basement needed some creative thinking, however. That phase is coming soon!

The lathe is now disassembled. @RobinHood was available, and we spent 7 hours getting the headstock off the ways, and the lathe bed off the stands. One oopsie - a missed bolt during the bed lift, but no harm done. No big surprises, but a nice thing was that each piece was a lot lighter than we expected. Headstock 475 lbs, Lathe bed 690 lbs, Headstock end lathe stand 500 lbs. A good news story is that the 400 lb small moving dolly from Princess Auto holds the 475 lb heasdstock very well, and we managed to even roll it around overloaded!

Pretty soon there will be a Window Lift Party, where the lathe bed, the mill ram and the mill ring will all be extricated from Bert's basement and put on a borrowed trailer... I think in about a week.
the Go Pro malfunctioned and there are no shots of the final disassembly (except all black ones)! arrg!

sorry about the no photos thing.
What @Dabbler's not saying is that he built the crane. I've seen it and it's a BEAUTY. Until of course you have to move it, I expect.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
News update... The Mill is now disassembled. 1/2 day of prep and 1/2 day of disassembly has it down to all its bits. (Thanks again @RobinHood) Here is a few teasers about the result. (I forgot to bring my camera in until it was more than half done)

This Saturday the 22nd, there will be a lathe bed move out the window and a few of the essentials going with as well. A bunch of people have offered to help, and I'd appreciate 3 people to come and help that day. Let's PM about it for those interested. Soon thereafter will be a winching event where all the really heavy stuff is being winched up the stairs.

FYI the mill base weighs 900 lbs, the ram is 220 lbs, the knee is 220lbs. The table, Y axis and yoke were not weighed as they are too light to worry about.

Attachments

• Disassembled Mill.JPG
    Disassembled Mill.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Lathe bed and Headstock, Mill Ram.JPG
    Lathe bed and Headstock, Mill Ram.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Mill Parts Ready.JPG
    Mill Parts Ready.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 0