• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The Move is on - Stairs and 3 tons

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
OK so everything is moved, but I am storing the compressor and sand blast cabinet off site for a while. Here is the mill base being lowered onto its dolly for moving into my garage:

Last step.JPG Last step.JPG

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Where did the surface grinder end up?

It is in his back yard with a tarp on it.

I'd be seriously remiss if I didn't thank John Nielsen for his extraordinary patience and incredible help he provided. Also Rick J for helping so much with such a positive attitude. And a special kudos to Janger for helping in a pinch and being there when we needed him! And thanks also to JohnWa for coming in and helping at the drop of a hat, and making super suggestions when I was running out of ideas. I couldn't have done it without you guys.

... Now to begin selling a bunch of my extra stuff to make room!

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
It is in his back yard with a tarp on it.

I'd be seriously remiss if I didn't thank John Nielsen for his extraordinary patience and incredible help he provided. Also Rick J for helping so much with such a positive attitude. And a special kudos to Janger for helping in a pinch and being there when we needed him! And thanks also to JohnWa for coming in and helping at the drop of a hat, and making super suggestions when I was running out of ideas. I couldn't have done it without you guys.

... Now to begin selling a bunch of my extra stuff to make room!
Personally I think it’s awesome when people help others out, regardless if they’re friends or strangers. What’s even better is how zany this was.

“Hey John’s wanna give me a hand moving 100 tons from a basement to my place?”

“Yeah gimme 10 minutes I’m on my way”

:D

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm in awe that you guys moved machines of that size/weight/shape from a challenging location. Bravo. Once the dust settles I hope they bring many hours of happy machining.

deleted_user

Super User
Well done and no one got killed or seriously injured.

This is always a huge worry for me. I worked my way thru university installing hvac equipment and had a guy carrying the upper end of an old oil furnace we were carrying up the basement stairs drop it on me. Thank god it was not a cast iron boiler.

Risks like these are why almost all professional movers refuse such jobs. Even those who haul machine tools. They hate basements. as much as I do

I've moved some heavy cast iron in my time, mostly salvaging large antique cast iron radiators that were going to be trashed, but also more than a few pieces of machinery. Almost always by sliding the objects on custom made wood ramps using a power winch fastened to some structure. I favour 1" thick x 36" wide plywood because the lip is lower and easier to push a 4" diameter wheel over.

I have also learned that the very best resource is a flat bed tow truck operator. They should be your goto moving help. Once you get the items out onto dollies at grade tow operators will haul cheaper than anyone else, and they typically know how to fasten a load.

Aside from an antique Barnes lathe too cool to pass up I've passed on every lathe and knee mill I went to look at in a basement because I don't want to take the risk. I applaud the massive effort you and your friends made to move this equipment. Very very impressive.

deleted_user

Super User
@YYCHobbyMachinist the answers to your questions:

1) the move cost $4,280, including all materials and expenses.

2) the surface grinder is under a tarp in his back yard.

All parts, except a 200lb knee are all moved, into my shop or someone else's.

*thus endeth the thread*

It is not the cost of the equipment that hurts, it's the removal fees.

"Under a tarp" breaks my heart because it is so often synonymous with under a shroud

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
synonymous with under a shroud
The dials and handles are already rusted, and some other non-critical areas are pitted by rust. It has been under tarp for 16 or 17 months now. It is ready for another 4 months of winter. By the time he tries to sell it, the thing will be worthless.

deleted_user

Super User
The dials and handles are already rusted, and some other non-critical areas are pitted by rust. It has been under tarp for 16 or 17 months now. It is ready for another 4 months of winter. By the time he tries to sell it, the thing will be worthless.

That is so sad. I have been to look at a number of surface grinders that I was assured by the owner that they remained in good condition despite their storage conditions and they were all invariably unsalvageable. As soon as equipment is outdoors it is always better to just give it away to anyone willing to remove it for free. Otherwise in many cases you pay to have it removed.

I know a gentleman who kept a 30 sloop in his driveway for decades until it rotted. Fiscal loss of 100K. Lucky he wasn't paying storage fees.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
2 years under a tarp is a long time - unless he oiled the thing every month or something to prevent it from rusting. I had lathes under a tarp for just over a month and some other things like a mill for 2, but I poured a lot of oil over them. Like oil was dripping from them and table was slick with oil. Event then handles started to rust or some areas where water got somehow to and washed oil off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Fluid Film is good on farm equipment for at least a half year without a tarp, and there is a black paint type rust protector that you can buy for farm equipment that will last around one year - although not necessarily easy to remove but a lot easier than rust

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Fluid Film is good on farm equipment for at least a half year without a tarp, and there is a black paint type rust protector that you can buy for farm equipment that will last around one year - although not necessarily easy to remove but a lot easier than rust

Yes, some people would just paint their whole equipment if in extended storage, for a lathe they would paint the ways etc. Then use paint stripper to clean it up... I do think it is a bit extreme.

The more permanent and better rust protector the more work removing such protector.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, some people would just paint their whole equipment if in extended storage, for a lathe they would paint the ways etc. Then use paint stripper to clean it up... I do think it is a bit extreme.

The more permanent and better rust protector the more work removing such protector.
Yes but I would be afraid water would run in areas that paint could not. At least regular oil dousings would make a fellow check on it once in a while and see how it's keeping.

I know an old widow lady that put her husbands' lathe in a leaky old shed almost 20 years ago and I can't imagine it its worth much more than scrap now. I guess she was unsure what it was worth back then or how to sell it. I could tell her what's it worth and how to get rid of it now! Maybe she plans on taking it with her to give it back to her husband?

Lots of instances of people hanging onto something that had value but were afraid of not getting the top dollar and now the stuff is rusted and rotted away.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Agreed.

I wasn't advocating. Just saying it's an option. I don't paint.

I do use fluid Film. It works way better than oil.

Yes but I would be afraid water would run in areas that paint could not. At least regular oil dousings would make a fellow check on it once in a while and see how it's keeping.

Too much farm equipment has to be stored outside. It's just the way it is. Water has a way of reaching where oil doesn't go either.

My practice is to use old engine oil first, let it sit a week or so, then spray or brush on Fluid Film. It's not perfect, but when you have no other choice you do what you can and accept the consequences.

Lots of instances of people hanging onto something that had value but were afraid of not getting the top dollar and now the stuff is rusted and rotted away.

Sad really. Just plain sad. But I see it all the time too. It's one thing when it's a farm impliment. But it's a whole nuther level when it's a precision machine.