• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The Move is on - Stairs and 3 tons

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
really, the way down was very easy compared. Just a plywood covering on the stairs and elbow grease to get them down. The piano movers used a pry bar to make the bottom of the stairs. Once down, a small pallet jack and presto!

The way in was not exiting at all.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Well I’m good to make about 259lbs move a couple inches at a time up 8%grade for at least 100m in 20 lbs of gear on a hot day, so just a few more young man power might be all you need.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think it is clear that unless you have rather small machines having your workshop in a garage is a better idea. You can always have a house attached garage. Also no need to worry about caring metal swarf all over the house or cutting oil fumes. For model making through with smaller machines you can reserve a room in the house - I seen few setups and they are laboratory clean - would also work in a basement.

It is already a pain to move in and out machines from a garage. From a basement ... large machines & you get yourself weeks or months or work.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I cannot imagine having to orchestrate this kind of move.
Amazing work by all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I think it is clear that unless you have rather small machines having your workshop in a garage is a better idea. You can always have a house attached garage. Also no need to worry about caring metal swarf all over the house or cutting oil fumes. For model making through with smaller machines you can reserve a room in the house - I seen few setups and they are laboratory clean - would also work in a basement.

It is already a pain to move in and out machines from a garage. From a basement ... large machines & you get yourself weeks or months or work.
You should open a consulting service that (for a fee) convinces wives of this perspective. Mine for years was under the erroneous impression that a garage is for cars. I eventually got her to come around by explaining that cars already have roofs—and therefore a garage is redundant.

But I would have paid for your services 25 years ago and saved a lot of nights on the couch.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
sorry no pictures today - I forgot the camera, and it was supposed to be a quick clean up day. Well, 5 hours later there was cleaning, but also the mill is now on it's custom dolly, and all the machines are tied down to their dollies. A lot of stuff, like tools, and bits for the mill, were slung into my truck. About 1/2 of the blocking is now in my shop. There's over 50 pcs of blocking - it takes a lot of bits to do blocking correctly!

Tomorrow is prepping the surface grinder for hauling, and building a deck off his back door.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
sorry no pictures today - I forgot the camera, and it was supposed to be a quick clean up day. Well, 5 hours later there was cleaning, but also the mill is now on it's custom dolly, and all the machines are tied down to their dollies. A lot of stuff, like tools, and bits for the mill, were slung into my truck. About 1/2 of the blocking is now in my shop. There's over 50 pcs of blocking - it takes a lot of bits to do blocking correctly!

Tomorrow is prepping the surface grinder for hauling, and building a deck off his back door.
John, if you ever offer a Lunch and Learn session on how to lift machinery, I want to be there.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Sooooo, about time for an update, for those interested... The SG is on its dolly, but not de-wired from the breaker, yet. The mill base is on its own dolly, ready to go.

Due to Covid19, Bert is self isolating (he's 88 yrs old) and so all progress is stopped until the worst is over.

I can build the back deck and do the outside prep without interacting with Bert, so next week will be outside prep, and then wait for an 'all clear' on the Covid thing.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Today's the day!

During the COVID19 shut down, I've finished the electrical, and finished all the prep work.

Bert insisted that we go ASAP, so we put protocols in place to protect him (and each other) from easily spreading the malaise.
6 items to winch up the stairs, and everything is out!!!

(there will be pictures, I promise)!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Yesterday was a long day, and I have to thank @johnnielsen, @Johnwa, Rick J, and Doug L for fantastic help!

Things went as expected with a bunch of little changes to the plan as we discovered balance points and problems in rigging and process...

I measured incorrectly and the mill base wouldn't fit up the stairs, an so we had to let it back down the stairs, and change things, but ultimately it came up just fine.

Everything got up except for the surface grinder, which will take a rethink.

1-stairway.JPG 2-hole.JPG 3-HoleOutside.JPG

Attachments

• 4-LandingOutside.JPG
    4-LandingOutside.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 5a-CoolantTank.JPG
    5a-CoolantTank.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • 5b-LatheBase.JPG
    5b-LatheBase.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 0
  • 5c-HeatTreatFurnace.jpg
    5c-HeatTreatFurnace.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5d-MillBase.jpg
    5d-MillBase.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Impressive stuff everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Way to go guys.
What was on the 'pulling' end of that cable moving the machine up the stair skids?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
That was a large auto hauler with a 10,000 lb winch. A redirect was set up on the corner of the bed and the cable went straight through the wall and down the stairs.