• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The Move is on - Stairs and 3 tons

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I purchased a one ton crane scale from Amazon.ca. Each item was raised on the gantry with it to determine weight.

TOBARApprentice

Super User
And to think the wives have the nerve to call us crazy!!! Anyone can pick up a sewing machine, or some stamps and some craft paper...... It takes a profound group of idiots to get thousands of pounds of oversized, nearly unmanageable chunks of steel into the basement for the expressed purpose of making little chips of metal; one of which always seems to find its way into her slipper. I will add however that said group of idiots is a group I dare say I am proud to be a part of!! Well done lads!! Thanks to your pics, my basement shop is getting a Bridgeport!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
And to think the wives have the nerve to call us crazy!!! Anyone can pick up a sewing machine, or some stamps and some craft paper...... It takes a profound group of idiots to get thousands of pounds of oversized, nearly unmanageable chunks of steel into the basement for the expressed purpose of making little chips of metal; one of which always seems to find its way into her slipper. I will add however that said group of idiots is a group I dare say I am proud to be a part of!! Well done lads!! Thanks to your pics, my basement shop is getting a Bridgeport!!

Best laugh I've had all week.

Oh, by the way...we're all dead men if our wives see this.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It's been a big week. Both the lathe and mill are ready for moving - completely disassembled. Everything over 100lbs has been weighed and marked, ready for various forms of egress... Today was a really long one - lots of little things to prep, taking down the gantry crane, and reassembling the A frames outside. Taking the heat treat furnace off the stand, and putting it on a flat dolly. Lots more. I filled my truck with all the bits under 75 lbs, and there was a lot of it.

So tomorrow there will be a short removal of more stuff, prepping for Saturday (moving the 700 lb lathe bed and 250 lb mill ram). Hopefully it won't take too long to get the main beam on the gantry this time!

... and some time later, perhaps 2 weeks will be the really heavy stuff, including the 900 lb base of the mill. I can't wait! We will be looking for good weather, because we don't want any ice in the way for people to fall.

(700 lb heat treat furnace, 1400 lb surface grinder, 900 lb Bridgeport base, 500 lb headstock, and 500 lb headstock base) After weighing all the stuff it is closer to 4 tons total!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Saturday update: we all converged around 10 AM. A really REALLY big shoutout and thanks to @kevin.decelles @Johnwa, @Janger and RickJ for all their help today! This was the window winchin' part of the lathe move. There were originally only 2 pieces to move, but we ended up with 3: The lathe bed, the Bridgeport ram, and one of the two lathe stands.

The test piece was the mill ram, and it taught us a little about heights and transferring the weight out through the window:
Winching the ram and out the window.JPG

Then we prepped the lathe bed and winched it out the window in 3 or 4 steps:
Winching the ram and out the window.JPG lathe bed prep.JPG lathe bed up.JPG lathe going out the window.JPG

to be continued...

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well done!!!! What's left to move now? I see a bandsaw in one of the images.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I was too terse yesterday, but I'll blame being tired. The optimistic tone of the last move post is a little deceiving. The really big and dangerous part of the move is yet to be done!

To directly answer @YYCHobbyMachinist the next move will include the heat treat furnace (675lbs), the headstock (475lbs), the mill base (900 lbs) and the surface grinder (est. 1300 lbs) Only the surface grinder can be broken down any further, and that is to take the table off at about 110lbs.

So we now have to make a hole in his outside wall to accommodate a winch cable, build some rollers to direct the winch cables, and a deck outside his back door. The step from his landing to the outside slab is over 11 inches. The actual move will involve removing both back door and screen door, along with his 9 foot wide fence gate. (of course all has to be put back after all is done).

The logistics of moving the items off the back deck to a trailer deck have not yet been solved. I'm exploring several options at the moment.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I was too terse yesterday, but I'll blame being tired. The optimistic tone of the last move post is a little deceiving. The really big and dangerous part of the move is yet to be done!

To directly answer @YYCHobbyMachinist the next move will include the heat treat furnace (675lbs), the headstock (475lbs), the mill base (900 lbs) and the surface grinder (est. 1300 lbs) Only the surface grinder can be broken down any further, and that is to take the table off at about 110lbs.

So we now have to make a hole in his outside wall to accommodate a winch cable, build some rollers to direct the winch cables, and a deck outside his back door. The step from his landing to the outside slab is over 11 inches. The actual move will involve removing both back door and screen door, along with his 9 foot wide fence gate. (of course all has to be put back after all is done).

The logistics of moving the items off the back deck to a trailer deck have not yet been solved. I'm exploring several options at the moment.
Could you winch it straight out and onto a tilt n load tow truck?
One where the flatbed moves back and angles down

Brent H

Ultra Member
Could you use a "stinger truck" like the ones the guys use for putting roof trusses up onto a house? Probably expensive though.....but they have a pretty good reach.

Would be very interesting to be the "fly on the wall" when the equipment was originally moved in. Sounds like it was dropped into the foundation and the house built on top....

I must applaud your great efforts to move this equipment! wow!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Would be very interesting to be the "fly on the wall" when the equipment was originally moved in. Sounds like it was dropped into the foundation and the house built on top....

I was just thinking the same thing!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
'how it got in there" is a cool story, so here's the summary. Each machine was brought in separately, but all were purchased during the 1982, 1986, and the early '90s recessions. Bert had NO money at all to do anything fancy. The mill, which came first, was slid down plywood in parts on the stairs by out-of-work piano movers. The entire move cost, from back deck to basement floor: 75 bucks. The lathe was next in early '85. that was done by an independent moving company, again low on work. total cost for 5 guys and 3 hours? 225 bucks.

Even the surface grinder was slid down plywood over the stairs. Gravity sucks!

Very helpful suggestions, but there is a wee problem: The back door is only accessible via a 9 foot gate, which is impeded by a big concrete block about 24" wide. So there is only 7 feet of available width to get a truck in back. We had to haul the lathe bed almost 20 feet to the trailer... I think it would be butt-puckering and expensive to crane lift the bridgeport base over top the house!

i'm currently leaning on a multipart move: 1) up the stairs and out on the deck. 2) hoist them off the deck and onto moving dollies, on the wrong side of the deck (not enough room on the 'good' side). 3) disassemble the deck, and move them into crane position in front of the gate opening. 4) hire the headstone guys to take the parts onto their flat-deck and away!

So a multi day affair, as it would be very expensive to have the crane guy waiting on all the movements. FYI every part of this move has been planned in excrutiating detail like this. Months of work.