• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The Move is on - Stairs and 3 tons

I think it's amazing that the stairs didn't collapse. Most of those stairway stringers end up being a 2x4 by the time the steps are cut into them. I've even seen pre-cut stringers made from 2x4s with step risers tacked to them. Two 2x4s don't carry a lot of weight.

I MUCH prefer @Dabbler s approach to custom carriers that spread the weight out.

Still a risky operation no matter what you do.
Sometimes not knowing makes them stronger.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sometimes not knowing makes them stronger.

Ain't that the truth!

I love sayings. Here is one that applies: Many an impossible thing has been done by someone who didn't know it.

Besides, lumber specifications are very conservative because there is HUGE piece to piece variations.

The best lumber I've seen in a long time was about 4 months ago, haven't seen anyrhing that good in years, now its back to same old garbage we've been getting (doing reno on house).

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I would have considered excavating
You guys are on to something - Prime Movers wanted to do just that. They said if we had made the hole, and took out the wall 5 feet wide, the'd take all the machinery out of the basement for 15K$... A Bargain!

These stairs were 2X10 stringers, doubled on both sides, with a 2X6 under support half the way up the stairs. I know this because before we slid the lathe and mill down them (on plywood) I reinforced the stairs myself. We just left the reinforcements in forever.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You guys are on to something - Prime Movers wanted to do just that. They said if we had made the hole, and took out the wall 5 feet wide, the'd take all the machinery out of the basement for 15K$... A Bargain!
I think you did it the right way, just offering an alternative.

I own a Cat mini excavator so i'm already biased towards this, but one can be rented for 300 a day or so. A 8x12 or 10x10 or whatever hole, 4-6 feet deep can be dug in about 2 hours with a small machine. Gotta be mindful that the dirt has to go somewhere till backfill time. Shoring up the joists and cutting a 4-6 foot wide hole in the foundation is a few hours for a couple guys and a demo saw. So a day for that, a day or maybe two for the boom truck, but if youre paying 250 an hour you'll have everything ready to get everything out in an hour or three, and a day or two to fix up the mess after. Easy as pie. ;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

These stairs were 2X10 stringers, doubled on both sides, with a 2X6 under support half the way up the stairs. I know this because before we slid the lathe and mill down them (on plywood) I reinforced the stairs myself. We just left the reinforcements in forever.

Oh, I'm not saying I would have dug the hole..... I would have done what you did. Glad to hear you reinforced the stairs. I think most people assume the stairs are stronger than they are.

But if it was MY house, I'd dig the hole. And in fact that's what I did at my previous home. I added on a garage with room for a small shop and put in a grade entrance to the basement at the same time. One the best things I ever did.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm just remembering another trick we pulled off years ago when I was helping a friend move a huge steel safe into his basement. We put concrete blocks under each step of the stairway with a few shims to take up the clearance. It was really easy to do and rock solid.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy Crap @Dabbler ! I just read the entire thread. My apologies for what must have appeared to be trivializing the issues. This was one massive move and I'm VERY impressed!

Please forgive me for my stupid comments about digging holes and reinforcing the stairway. I had NO IDEA what was all covered in this post. Simply amazing.

I particularly loved the photo of your friend Bert working on his last job. It brought warm tears to my old eyes. The circle of life.....

I trust everything is now all moved. And I assume that you are taking your time now putting everything all back together. Some very cool machinery there.

Kudos to you and to everyone who helped you.

Stay warm my friend.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Bert working on his last job.
I had been his friend at that moment for 41 years 2 months, and it was 'happysad' to watch him do that last work.

I trust everything is now all moved.
It is all in my tiny garage, and almost no room to walk. In order to actually rebuild the mill with (literally) no room, I am installing a bridge crane to lift the joint and ram onto the mill to make 5 or 6 precious square feet of room (!!)

Kudos to you and to everyone who helped you.
Everyone was so generous with their time, and I'll always be grateful for the help they all gave. I am in debt to everyone who helped.