• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The Move is on - Stairs and 3 tons

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Dabbler,

What about a pallet jack - set the gear on a pallet, jack it up and roll across the deck on plywood sheet? Not sure of the set up? Some moving trucks have the lift on the back - roll pallet onto the lift and up ya go?

That is insane the work to get that gear into the basement....

I got lucky and my neighbour bought a fork truck the same week I bought my mill - LOL - worked out quite well.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Once I disassemble the temporary deck, I can use the sheets to move stuff around, sort of. I don't want to think about trying to get the 900 lb mill base up a 3/4" 'step' - a pry bar is my friend!

I have a hand operated fork truck on site right now. It doesn't roll well on the broken concrete slab.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
So we are now waiting on the contractor to make a hole in his house for a winch cable. In the mean time, I am restoring disturbed electrical and setting up for the first part B moves.

Today we un-wired the headstock wiring - this lathe has servo motor shifting, so we documented 22 wires/locations, along with removing the conduits from the parts so they can be moved independently. Almost ready for a lathe rebuild thread!

Brent H

Ultra Member
So we are now waiting on the contractor to make a hole in his house for a winch cable.

This sounds like one expensive tool removal! holy smokes - Value in the move verses the tools? I guess they have to come out at some point -I guess my question is - Was there a good deal on the tool to make the demo/repairs worth while? - beyond the "ya baby gotta mill ....woo hoo dance and all that...."

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
We need a sketch or photos as to why you need to put a hole in the house for the winch cable? It's all going out a door correct? Why can't the winch cable feed through the door?

We're rooting for you. Go Dabbler Go.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Another solution has come up... The carpenter that was doing the cutting of the siding/drywall has access to a tilt bed truck with a 6000 crane on it, and a stinger head (a head that rotates +-90 degrees). With that, we can obviate the need for rollers, and hoist everything onto the flatbed. Might make it a lot easier!

He and I will have a look on Tuesday to see if it will work!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Another solution has come up... The carpenter that was doing the cutting of the siding/drywall has access to a tilt bed truck with a 6000 crane on it, and a stinger head (a head that rotates +-90 degrees). With that, we can obviate the need for rollers, and hoist everything onto the flatbed. Might make it a lot easier!

He and I will have a look on Tuesday to see if it will work!

Do you still have to cut a hole in the house for a winch cable now?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Whenever I read the progress here I am ashamed that I ever referred to the loading issues into my garage as a PIA.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Bert originally offered the house and shop to a young guy who was aspiring to be a millwright. He wanted 50K$ for the shop part. Ryan declined and bought a modern house.

Bert feels he will be in this house for quite a while yet (he's almost 87)...

ANyway, taking the weekend off, and then restarting next week! 75% done and no roadblocks yet!

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Good luck, sounds like you have had it so far. (likely do to the immense planning) Hope it holds up.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
So some good news! the carpenter is bringing a car hauler with a 6000lb winch and we are using that to winch up the stairs: will save a LOT of work. Still going out the back door, and doing the gantry crane dance.

So we made the hole in the wall, and have a plan to extract everything.Here are the inside and outside photos of the hole. The pictures of the surface grinder will have to wait until I go back - the pictures were blurry.

outside hole.JPG Top of stairs.JPG

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Yesterday was a long day, even if it wasn't planned that way! Below is a picture of Bert, doing his last job on his last machine in the shop. Shortly after, the electrics were disconnected.

Bert's last job.JPG

I drained the hydraulic sump and prepped for raising. after 3 hours of raising, we were only 4" off the floor. Bert was very sheepish about using the lifting jacks for more than an inch at a time. His worry was toppling the machine over and ruining it. So went very slow and steady...

A problem is that the machine makes a tripod, with two feet in the front and one in the back. A 3/4" plywood deck can't handle nearly 1000lbs point load in the middle of the long side of the dolly, so some rethinking was needed. More time!

Here's the pictures of the blocking. Only 2.5" higher to go! Sorry about the blurry. Tired.

Blocking front.JPG blocking rear.JPG

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Today went well, but was about 5 hours - time flies when you are concentrating...

Here's the grinder on its custom dolly just before all the scaffolding was removed:

Grinder on custom dolly.JPG

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Step by step, way to go!
I keep looking at those machines & how they got down there to begin with. Any polaroids stuffed away in shoe boxes? That must have been an equally Herculean effort. Or did the machines get spotted in by crane after the foundation was poured & house built around them? LOL