Pallets of 4140

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have done 4 loads of gravel in my Ram 2500 that were each in excess of 7000 pounds. It is only rated for 3600lbs payload but the move was in town from burnco to forest lawn. About 7km one way and it didnt hurt the truck one bit. I saved the recipt because i know there will be a few non belivers. As long as it isnt resting on the bump stops i dont worry. The closser to the cab the load is the more you will be able to excede payload.
Disclaimer i know this is really hard on the axles and arguably unsafe.

kylemp

We can use the 4" ones as rollers?

@Alexander @kylemp where are the moving skates at? Would they be helpful?

Also, full sized trucks should have a higher weight limit than a ranger, shouldn't they?

I don't think skates would help in this case.. but I had given them to Alex a little while back. Yes full size trucks should have more weight capacity but it's not hard to reach.. a trailer would be the best option.

kylemp

I agree. Sorry I had to run off at the end.. FYI I lined up someone to buy the remainder of the steel as well.. if it ever comes up in the future needing a little of what was there that should be an option.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Thanks everyone who was at the "heavy metal" get together last evening. It was great meeting you guys. It was pretty amazing how we got all that steel loaded with no casualties.
I'm sure I'll be needing a heating pad on my back tomorrow.:)

John

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Great meeting/seeing everyone yesterday.

@DPittman @Alexander @kylemp

I have your materials in my shop. Storing 4 people's stuff (my own as well) is taking up about half of my shop at the moment, so come pickup as you're each available to. (I know it won't be super quick for a couple of you)

Great seeing everyone come together on this project!

JW

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm curious what everyone else has planned for their newly aquired material....any cool projects planned???

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it all myself, but I hope to maybe make a back plate for a 6" chuck out of the large stuff. I will also likely make the odd tractor pin/shaft out of the smaller stuff.

Don

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I also want to make a backing plate for my 6"four jaw chuck that wont currently fit on my cnc lathe. I was also thinking the big stuff could be used to make spindles for my japenese car. It has a bolt pattern that is not used by any car. If i make some new spindles or even adapter rings i can easily run civic or neon wheels. I bet that this stuff will come in handy.
With greater capacity. Comes more capability.
With the right materials opportunities just open up to you.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good job guys. I wasn't available till later in the evening to help you out. Man, those are some substantial logs! I don't have a lot of machining time on 4140 but it seems like tough stuff. Look forward to seeing the projects you come up with. I'm going to buy stock option calls on band saw blade suppliers, I have a feeling they will be moving inventory! :)

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Actually @PeterT I machine lots of 4140 at work i probably have 10k hours experience turning this stuff. The main goal is to get the cutting force off the edge of the cutting tool. If you use a big depth of cut and high chipload per revolution. It is easy going. It does really like to warp if it hasn't been anneled well. I rember his add saying this stuff was anneiled. Then use low surface feet per min to really controll the temperature. I know i won't be cutting any of this stuff on my bandsaw without coolant even though i will have to built a coolant tank. Coolant will probably extend the life of a bandsaw blade enough to justify the time investment.