Pallets of 4140

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
so I'm in! Thanks Josh for getting the seller on side! My truck can manage about 1600 lbs in the back. I'll bring a HD hand truck in case it will help... anything else I should bring?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I think hands and trucks are the #1 thing to bring. HD hand truck makes sense too. Engine hoist for the really big + long stuff is great. Straps is one thing we could probably use extra of.

In the absence of a forklift at the pickup location we will need to hand load most of this into truck beds.

Will aim for later afternoon middle of next week. Ultimately it's up to him, as he has the metal, but will do my best. Just everyone know that the times are extremely tentative, and totally dependant on him.

Will reply here and text whomever I have numbers for once we get a date a time to work with.

As we don't have confirmation on the pallet setup, everyone budget $75. We will evenly split all the costs, and it will probably be closer to $60 each or something.

JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
The heaviest stuff is the 6.75" Diameted, 52" long stuff, weighs in around 530lbs, according to an online calculator. Probably need four people to get all this out in a timely fashion. 3-4 truck 4-5 people would be best, but unless you guys have a friend who can make it, we might have to just "make do"

The engine hoist is good for that heavy item, but I am guessing the seller doesn't want to wait for too long while we get loaded.

@kylemp What's the best way to strap a piece of round stock for lifting with an engine hoist? Two chokers?

kylemp

I would think 2 slings choking it at either end would be best but your lose a lot of height that way. A single sling choked at each end and slid on would probably be ideal but just be careful that the weight doesn't start to shift off centre or it will keep going.. in my experience a single sling choke in the centre is OK but I've always been a long ways away from the round being lifted when doing that so I'd be pretty cautious if you try it out. I won't be in town so unfortunately I can't give you guys a hand.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You use 3 wraps to a choke in the centre. it will never slip. know this from rescue rigging, 20+ yrs experience and pointers from my father, who was a card-carrying rigger. I'll bring lots of straps. Some riggers use 2 wraps, gives me goosebumps, but I haven't seen one slip that way either.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
What a great score but it's all quite a bit to large for my mini lathe :( I might be interested in a 4" or some 3.75" but only about 6" of it. I may be able to assist with a set date and time known in advance

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You use 3 wraps to a choke in the centre. it will never slip. know this from rescue rigging, 20+ yrs experience and pointers from my father, who was a card-carrying rigger. I'll bring lots of straps. Some riggers use 2 wraps, gives me goosebumps, but I haven't seen one slip that way either.
Dabbler would it make sense to put down a piece of plywood under the hoist?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Dabbler would it make sense to put down a piece of plywood under the hoist?

Yep. The engine hoist has tiny wheels, and they work best on hard flat surfaces, not snow covered road gravel. For loading it will likely be best to be able to roll the hoist.

JW

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
JW

Thanks for your efforts. You said you were ok with storing my share for awhile...thank you. Can I pay you for my lot with an e transfer.

Don Pittman

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
- if the ground is soft, it'll make a big difference to have some scraps of plywood available. One way is to set up the hoist at the loading point, and then have several teams of guys bringing the steel to the load point.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
JW

Thanks for your efforts. You said you were ok with storing my share for awhile...thank you. Can I pay you for my lot with an e transfer.

Don Pittman

Yep, works fine, but maybe just pay upon pickup it's fine.

Good thoughts on loading techniques guys, couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have taken a few classes for lifting and rigging with an overhead crane and the simple way to lift these bars will be the safe way.
choke.gif This is just a single choke and it is fine as long as you get it close to the middle. Then someone will have to steady one end of the bar so that it does not tip. As long as you are not lifting it on an angle nothing will shift. If the bars are on a pallet lift one end up a bit with the sling and stick a block under so you can re position the sling in the middle.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I'm sure I have a crane strap some place to donate to the cause, I've moved massive rolls of roof rubber via crane (with the single loop in mid for moving distances) (with a single loop at either end for lifting over head.
It's pyramid building not rocket appliances ;)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Alexander, you are correct. On a balanced load. You will find that config on every rigging manual. There will always be a caveat that "more turns may be used". I have been taught that you do 2 or 3 wraps (3 being preferred) before choking the lift. You will find that it cannot slip with 3 even on teflon, even on one end, at any load. the frictional force on the load is proportional to the number of degrees of bending of the straps, cubed. The lifting strap always breaks before the load slips when 3 wraps are used. This configuration is commonly used to hoist tree sized logs by one end when doing logging.

Dangerous lifts, such as high lifts and very heavy objects, are always lifted this way.

I am adding this because using a single turn choke puts the steady person at a (small) risk, which can be avoided by rigging it in this alternative way. (and because the question was asked)

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I have a truck and engine hoist. I don't know if I want any material but am available to help load and haul.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Josh, I just noticed your question about the 6.75" bars. I would certainly be interested in some 6.75, but I might be the only one.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have a truck and engine hoist. I don't know if I want any material but am available to help load and haul.

John thanks for offering to help. We will surely need as much help as we can get.

Anybody who wants to help please try to wear steel toes.

Stay tuned for a date-we still don't know when exactly but are aiming for a mid afternoon next week.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Just received this email from him:

"I am back in town and confirmed I can sell the inventory. The scrap metal person called me this morning and I told him I am selling to a different party. He immediately increased his offer to $1600 but you were the first to commit to the $50/pallet, so I am sticking with you and your group. So I believe there are 24 pallets in total so $1200. If the weather holds and dries out a bit more I might be able to help load with a fork lift but no guarantees on this as our forklift does not work well outside until the ground is dry and solid.

You can come anytime this week you want or even next week.

Just let me know when you’re thinking so that I am onsite to let your group in."

Now sure how to proceed. I was careful never to commit to taking all of the pallets of materials.

Thoughts?