• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Pallets of 4140

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Club purchase?
The qty 39 of 14" bars 4" diameter could be useful. Do they all have holes in the centre? Solid would be preferred.

What would this stuff be for?

4140 Annealed inventory scrap metal bars, 24 pallets of spare bars, asking $50ea/ pallet or OBO. not all pallets shown

4140/4340 Annealed scrap bar ends:
• 3.75" OD x " ID x 33.875"long, 16 bars
• 4" OD x 14"long, 39 bars
• 4" OD x 9"long, 3 bars
• 4" OD x 15"long, 1 bars

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I just got a reply: he won't have viewings until next week. out of town. I'm in for a pallet.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I am interrsted in as much as i can get of the solid stuff. One or two hollow pieces woulden't hurt but i am less interested in the hollow stuff. It will probably be leftover material from the energy sector. My problem is he wont let anyone come see untill next week and im not available next week at all. If someone could buy a pallet and sell me some later that would be great.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Alexander do you want to mix and match two pallets if he has them left over?
- I can carry only 1200 lbs in my truck and he's getting back to me at the end of the week.
- If we buy all of it between us there should be multiple vehicles and several people to do the loading(...?)
JohnA Do you want to coordinate?
Don if we buy all of it I'm sure there will be some for you...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Several people loading for sure. Yes I will coordinate. Two palettes sounds like lots. Solid bar? That's $100 bucks guys let's divide by who wants some. When Dabbler? Friday? Who can help?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm interested in buying some and I'm willing to put my money up front BUT.......

Somebody has to be okay with hanging onto my chunks for quite a while ( month or so). I'm 3 hours south of Calgary and only get there once in a while.

I understand if no one is interested in that arrangement so that's fine with me if you guys don't mess with that.

Don

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
So we got Josh, Alex, Dabbler (John), John A. (me) and Don.? Anybody else? Probably be fair to split the solid equally, assuming there is some and the ad is accurate. If there is no solid available are we still interested? I'm not sure we are.... @Dabbler ??? any idea?

Don one of us can hang on to your share until you can get up here - not a problem. We've got Josh's hoist to help move it too...

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I'm mostly interested in the solid bar but would be happy to take a few chunks of other to make the deal work.

Don

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Cool, First club purchase. What date are we planning John?

I can bring my ranger too can safely take 1440lbs before it's overloaded.

Shoot me a text, lets empty him out. haha.

I sent one more email explaining that the group of us are going to pick up much of his stock.

Something tells me my powered hacksaw is going to be a busy tool in the weeks the come.

JW

Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Just received this email after explaining that we're a group. He also explained he had an offer on the lot, I challenged him that it's probably a scrapper, so I bet he tried to low-ball him:

"You are absolutely correct he is a scrapper.. He upped his price yesterday which is funny as I said I just had a bunch of emails from others.
I would rather you guys have it and put it to good use.
I will following[sic] and confirm a few things but as far as I am concerned your group can have them."​

-->Lets try to not all pester this guy now that he knows we're a group, lol.
I replied:

"It's really fantastic news. Thank you.
I'll let everyone know.
Yeah, you don't have this hobby long before you realize that you're constantly competing with every scrapper in the city.
Let me know what you need to know from us and I'll be sure to get back to you quickly.

When you know when we can coordinate pickup next week it would be helpful for me to have a date and time sooner rather than later. We're going to coordinate a bunch of pickups, might organize a picker truck or something if we can // if we need it. Either way, the more time we have to get organized the better.".

John, Looks like we were right, scrappers are already coming out of the woodwork for this

I figure we can coordinate buying all this maybe? (All the solid stock, and a little bit of tube)

• 3.75" OD x " ID x 33.875"long, 16 bars
  • 4" OD x 14"long, 39 bars
  • 4" OD x 9"long, 3 bars
  • 4" OD x 15"long, 1 bars
  • 5.125" OD x 3" ID x 15.125"long, 7 bars
  • 6.75" OD x 52"long, 6 bars
That's ~6 pallets, $300 -- Approx $60 each (5 people)? (probably going to fluctuate, some of these items are like, 1 or two bars, so I assume the pallets are mixed together a bit...)

And we can take the time to divvy these up so we all get the same stuff. The [6.75" OD x 52" 6 bars] and the [4" OD x 15"long, 1 bars ] we can cut in half too or maybe skip the 6.75" one?

After cutting some of the longer stuff down to more manageable sizes it would be something like:
  • 3.75" OD x " ID x 16" long, 32 bars == ~6 Each
  • 4" OD x 14"long, 39 bars == ~8 each
  • 4" OD x 9"long, 5 bars == 1 each
  • 5.125" OD x 3" ID x 15.125"long, 7 bars == ~ 1 each
  • 6.75" OD x 26 "long, 12 bars == ~2 each
Plus the cost of a few saw blades (Powered hacksaw, I don't mind cutting if we cover the cost of blades and someone gives me a hand.) I also don't mind storing stock (covered outside) for @Alexander and @DPittman.

Call it $75 each?

That sound good to everyone? I'm just making this up as we go, so open to ideas. Please review the original stock list vs what I added up there, if someone wants anything else we can rework this. We have till next week to get this sorted out.

If the above makes sense we will need ~3 trucks on pickup day. Based on my emails with him, I suspect it will be middle of the week, during "office hours"
--> Anyone have a flatbed and a forklift we could use? lol

JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'd be in for a bit as well.

Make it 6 then.

Anyone else?

Would love confirmation that we shouldn't grab any of the other sizes. This is definitely a one off deal. Anyone think the rest is of any use?

Thanks Alex, I like to step up when I can. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Ok so Josh does all the talking. Nice work so far Josh! I can chip in $60 $75 to get some metal. so I think we're all in. The timing is the question. Hopefully late tuesday wednesday would work for say meet there at 3:00 pm? Let's try for that, Josh.

I'll bring Josh's hoist and my truck. we need some lift straps too. @Dabbler can you help? @Alexander ? That would make four of us.

Last edited: