• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Pallets of 4140

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
6.75" solid:

1 PC-619 LB
4140/4142 HR ANN BAR ASTM A322
6-3/4 RD X 5'1.0" ( 61.0") REMNANT

$1714.50 / crop

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sell MS a one of your 7 logs & buy a brand new bandsaw with the proceeds haha

A friend of mine has some big iron to cut & no band saw at all. He apparently found a shop with a big ass saw to do it pretty reasonably. They basically said leave it for a week if it wasn't rush & charged him an hour of shop time, so he got the segments he required. But that was back in the hungry days, not sure if that can be replicated. If you had a batch of cutting to do, might save wear & tear on the smaller saws, but I don't really have a feel for what they are capable of on this stuff.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I would think such a simple request in this market would yield positive results, shops are hurting after all and "you need the bread to support the butter"

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I finished my cut. The kerfs weren't right on so I had to pry the last bit apart. If I ever do this again I'll build a jig to hold it nice and square and allow the piece to be rotated without losing alignment. Best bet would be to find someone with a bigger saw.

Attachments

• IMG_2559.JPG
    IMG_2559.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Yes, lots of cutting oil. It probably took 2 hours total, including the time to free the stuck blade.
I had to reverse the fixed jaw on the vise to get the log to fit. The final cut was <1/4" out of alignment but I was able to pry the kerf open to finish the cut.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've fiddled around with the tri-bearing setup on my little saw. You loosen a nut, turn the cam axle, that moves the bearing in & out. It cant be too tight & it cant be too loose on either side of blade. Anyway, yes, I could see where even a bit of misalignment or slight tension difference on one side could drift the blade cut path slightly so the cuts might not meet exactly in the middle. And probably a skinny blade might drift more.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There is a really cool video series posted on Oxtool called making flat lapping plates using similar log slices. What they call the 3-plate method. But those are cast iron, which I suspect is the proper material because its more stable for this particular purpose.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I've fiddled around with the tri-bearing setup on my little saw. You loosen a nut, turn the cam axle, that moves the bearing in & out. It cant be too tight & it cant be too loose on either side of blade. Anyway, yes, I could see where even a bit of misalignment or slight tension difference on one side could drift the blade cut path slightly so the cuts might not meet exactly in the middle. And probably a skinny blade might drift more.

I think it was more a matter of the vise fixed jaw not being perfectly aligned.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Hey I have a 12x20 bandsaw and if you want to cut some stock on it i don't mind hanging around while you cut it. I just ordered a lenox classic blade from TS it will be here in a couple of days. I do have an engine picker you could use to get the material onto the saw. Inbox me if you want to use it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Lapping plates are made of cast iron because they are porous, and hold onto the lapping medium. Toolmaker plates are made by lapping and are made of hardened steel. 4140 can be surface ground and lapped like any tool steel.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi I made a quick study of band saw performance. I used the starrett guide as linked below. Alex scoffed at their performance numbers. They think you can cut a 4" round in 1 minute in ideal conditions. My experience with my old band saw was more like 2-10 hours depending on how much fussing with the saw I had to do. I'm not sure yet what my 7x12 will do. Anyone with professional saw hydmech etc or other big tools care to chime in with observed performance? Anyone with better performance on their home saw care to report?

bandsaw performance table.jpeg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Lapping plates are made of cast iron because they are porous, and hold onto the lapping medium. Toolmaker plates are made by lapping and are made of hardened steel. 4140 can be surface ground and lapped like any tool steel.

Yes I've heard that about CI - its porosity is desirable for holding compound. But many soft laps like copper & brass also exist as they imbed compound. So maybe CI has additional advantages - hardness. dimensional stability, tool wear? Re 4140, I assume you mean after its been hardened it can be ground & lapped? I don't think its any more dimensionally in annealed state than regular or tool steels is it?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
No it's quite soft see (pic1; from my handle less hammer used to free my blade when having to rotate the piece)
I used my propoint (pic2) with my new unused all blades blade 52 x 1/2 x .025 6-10 TPI cutting 4" took about 10 minutes no cutting fluid or coolant of any kind (pic 3; cut marks including pull out and no heat discolouration) but I was messing around with bunjies (pic4) and stalled the saw once (some saftey thing) I could likely bring that time down to 8-9 minutes MAYBE.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm out of town tomorrow morning for a few days so I won't be trying until I get back - this test fascinates me!

John Conroy

Premium Member
Well I guess I'll get involved in "SAW WARS" too. I got a great deal on a new 7 x 12" saw at KMS yesterday. I set it up last evening and left it on the slowest speed. It sliced through a 4" log in 11 minutes. Virtually no heat in the 1" piece I sliced off. I'll do more tests later including timing my 4 X 6" saw on the same job. I'll be selling the 4 X 6" if anyone is interested.

20170330_193913_zpsenxqw7sb.jpg

20170330_201348_zpsghb3xrxz.jpg

20170330_202109_zpstvbgggf5.jpg

20170330_203236_zpsemf243xm.jpg

John