Pallets of 4140

kylemp

At that price it's kinda hard to say no. Chances are the remainder could be sold off or scrapped... but there's moving and storage that is really the issue I think. I can check around and see if anyone I know wants some as well

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I would tell him we are still in at $50 per pallet but we are hobby users so we are only interested in the solid stuff. I know we will not be able to recoupe our money at the scrap yard if we try to haul all and scrap it. The price of scrap steel is so bad it is hard to justify hauling straight to the yard even if it is free. If this is a deal breaker and he needs us to buy all for $1200 i suggest we walk because no one has the equipment to do this efficently. Ill check with a friend but those are my thoughts

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I would tell him we are still in at $50 per pallet but we are hobby users so we are only interested in the solid stuff. I know we will not be able to recoupe our money at the scrap yard if we try to haul all and scrap it. The price of scrap steel is so bad it is hard to justify hauling straight to the yard even if it is free. If this is a deal breaker and he needs us to buy all for $1200 i suggest we walk because no one has the equipment to do this efficiently. Ill check with a friend but those are my thoughts
I was leaning towards showing up and loading what we need, paying the price indicated for what we take. Probably not the greatest idea, when I think more deeply about it, it's a scabby thing to even try. Another idea (equally not cool) is to go with three trucks, and pay for and load what we can, implying multiple trips, but that's also crappy.

I guess I'll email him and plead our case to take the materials we listed above, hope, and see what he says... Unless anyone has a better idea.
We could offer more money if he shoots down that idea? $75/pallet for just the stuff we need?

If that scrapper he mentioned is willing to pay more than $66/pallet, I'm guessing we're hooped unless we try the idea mentioned above, but it's a dick move, as I know he'll want it all gone from a single buyer.

@Alexander @kylemp

Ask around, reply back here today, I'll reach out to him tomorrow and see what I can do, but hopefully we can come up with a better idea than to walk away / be a dick.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Another thought, if we can organize storage, there is a good chance we can sell what we do not need for at least $66/pallet, as that's what a scrapper offered him already ($1600/24 pallets) Won't recover our costs on moving though, unless the forum really steps up with like 6-8 trucks (3 trips per truck, unless you can handle two pallets per trip, then it's only two trips...) but that seems a long shot. -- Also the cost still wouldn't be recovered, just spread across more poeple, so not a great solution either.

Could probably even coordinate with the same scrapper that made the offer, we might be able to get the seller on side?

At this point I am leaning towards calling him and pleading our case to take all the solid stock.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I think you should let him know that there are 6 (or 7?) of use who wanted a pallet each. Since no actual number of pallets were mentioned and the dealer was so eager, there shouldn't have been much of a problem...

-- I can take a little more, say $100 worth, but that's my limit. I guess we could kijiji the surplus... like the rest of you, the solid stock is much more desirable to me. The scrapper won't care. How about offering to buy $500 of solid stock? If he says 'no' then that's it...

He seems really laid back so I think it is an acceptable risk...

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
I am in Calgary this week on business. I'll be returning to Edmonton on Thursday March 23 afternoon/ evening. If your pickup time is before I leave I can help with loading and participate in the buy. I'm willing to go in for up to $100. I have a pickup truck with a 1600 lb payload capacity. Late afternoon to evening would work for me.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Alexander, @Dabbler, @Janger, @DPittman, @John Conroy, @kylemp, @Johnwa, @Bofobo, Update:

Finally got a number from the kijiji guy and called him today. He was disappointed that we weren't going to take it all, but was clearly happy with my transparency with him.

Confirmed for pickup tomorrow afternoon. 4:00pm is ideal and he has agreed to the time.
@Dabbler, @Janger, @John Conroy, @kylemp, @Bofobo @Johnwa and myself are the people that haven't expressly said they can not help pickup (Alex and Don can't help). Can everyone please confirm if you can make tomorrow at 4:00pm?
The sooner I know the better, as I'll see about getting help from friends if I don't get the impression we'll have enough trucks...

I'm going to PM you all my cell number, I only have half of your contact info in real life, if you know each other's numbers please pass mine along or be sure they know to check here, so we can coordinate.

@Alexander, @Dabbler, @Janger, @DPittman, @John Conroy, @kylemp (Maybe @Bofobo?) If you guys want to go in on the purchase, please either come and bring with you $100, If you can't make it to pickup, but still want in, can you please e-transfer me instead. (I can't float everyone, sorry guys)

Plan is to meetup at the yard where this steel is stored and load whatever we can in a single trip. The seller won't want us hanging around, and by his tone on the phone, he knows he's doing us a solid favour.

From there I propose we bring all the material to a central location that we can unload and split it up at. --> I want to be sure we all get an equal share. We all want the smaller rods (4" rods, lol) so we'll need to gather it all and split it up as best we can.

I may need a hand getting @DPittman @Alexander and my own portions to my place. (1 ranger may not cut it)

I've created a revised proposed list of material to try and get:

• 3.75" OD x " ?ID x 33.875"long, 16 bars
• 4" OD x 14"long, 39 bars
• 4" OD x 9"long, 3 bars
• 4" OD x 15"long, 1 bars
• 6.75" OD x 23.25"long, 1 bars
• 6.75" OD x 52"long, 7 bars (one each?)
• 6.75" OD x 52"long, 6 bars (Maybe not, if we think we have enough)
• 6.75" OD x 52"long, 6 bars (Maybe not, if we think we have enough)

Assuming up to 10 pallets, I would love to see at least 4-5 trucks there, but as many as we can get it best. (Like I said, I do not think he will be happy with two trips)

Looking like this is going to work out guys!

Crunch time for coordinating though!

JW

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Everybody Bring:

A GREAT attitude and willingness to follow instructions.
Your money.
Gloves, Safety shoes. Safety goggles. Tie downs for your truck.
Pry bars - blocking.
Who has another shop crane? Two might be good?
dabbler is bringing lifting straps. Can you also bring your rough plywood? 2 sheets?
Let's meet at 3:30-3:45.

Josh: you're the guy with the buyer - let Josh do all the talking other than Thanks.

dabbler: you're the rigger and safety officer if you feel ok about taking on the task? We are all going to listen to John on how to move all this without anyone getting hurt, pinched fingers, or ruined backs. You can disagree (inside) with John but we're going to do it his way regardless.

The smaller bars weigh 50 lbs each but there are 45 of them. Can these be lifted two guys at a time? Thats about 10 lifts / team.
The medium ones are 100 pound plus. The 6.75 is around 500 pounds. Lets use the hoists.
Safety first.

Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'll be there. Do you have a weight estimate per pallet?
No, particularly as I do not believe the pallets are organized in the same manner as the bullet points. (36 bullet points, but only 24 pallets, means something is not lined up.)

I do know that they will be heavy, particularly the 6.75"X52" pieces are somewhere around 500lbs per peice. Most trucks will be able to take two of those and a good portion of the smaller stuff, etc.

Josh: you're the guy with the buyer - let Josh do all the talking other than Thanks.
Understood!

Johnwa

Ultra Member
From your list I get about 6,000 kg. I've had up to 900 on my truck (heavy half).

With the exception of the 6.75s everything can be loaded by hand (50 kg or less)
I'll bring my engine hoist for the bigger stuff.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Great, That's two hoists.

My ranger has a 1500lb rating, I figure most trucks should be able to meet or beat that.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'll bring a bunch of straps for lifting and tie downs. Also plywood, blocking, and my heavy duty cart. And Pry bars.

Looking at logistics and loading around 1420 lbs per truck, we'll need 6 truck loads. This assumes we are only (!) taking 7 bars of 6.75 in this buy. If we only have 5 trucks one can do a quick turn around to Janger's house with 12 or 13 bars of 3.75 X 34. If you'd like to check my calculations, here's the spreadsheet:

Attachments

• 4140 Buy.pdf
    8 KB · Views: 6

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The biggest time waster will be to move the 525 lb bars to the hoist. For moving the large ones along the bed, we should bring a couple of shorter rollers about 12" long or less.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
The biggest time waster will be to move the 525 lb bars to the hoist. For moving the large ones along the bed, we should bring a couple of shorter rollers about 12" long or less.
We can use the 4" ones as rollers?

@Alexander @kylemp where are the moving skates at? Would they be helpful?

Also, full sized trucks should have a higher weight limit than a ranger, shouldn't they?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
mine has a max of 1600 lbs - really a quarter ton truck. I'll bring some short pieces of pipe in case the 4" ones don't work well. I did the spreadsheet in such a way that no one will be tempted to overload their truck and break it.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I once weighed a 1/2 ton Chevy. Once it had passengers and fuel it was within 550 lbs of its max GVW. The tongue weight of my 5 th wheel was 1200 lbs. I talked to GM about it and they thought it was ok.