New 10" X 54" mill ordered.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well the wait has been sort of grueling even for us on the sidelines, it has been fun to anticipate the arrival and I sense that pretty much everyone has shared in the excitement just like kids at Christmas. Who knew such a thing could even be fun for those of us on the sidelines. Thanks for sharing, I think it's safe to say we all are happy for you John.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Congrats on the new mill!! Looks awesome. Looking forward to the projects that will be coming off of it.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Congrats John, I'm guessing the final location is prepped and ready.
As Kermit would say "it aint easy being green" (envy).
Now the whole garage has that "new machine smell" gotta luv it.lol
I like that they feel the need to brag about the power feeds being brand new.
Looking forward to the DRO install, I'm thinking maybe Santa will bring me one.
The ER40 wrench even fits the chuck Mike!
Sure,,, go ahead,,,, twist the knife LOL:D.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@John Conroy : Bravo for a safe landing!!! always awesome when you can say it "fit like a glove"

That will be one pimped out machine - awesome! hope to see lots of project pics as you make the machine your own!

Congrats! :)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
What a smooth operation! Nicely done! It looks like you are well on your way... can't wait to drop by sometime soon!

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@John Conroy Wonderful job on the safe arrival of your mill, it will surely bring you hours of enjoyment I too have enjoyed following the journey and it has made me realize just the unthinkable amount of logistics going on worldwide, the amount of ships out there and how many containers on each and the amount of goods moving just mind boggling.
Congrats and enjoy:D

John Conroy

Premium Member
Thanks for all your comments and feedback guys. I started today cleaning and it took about 3 hours with scrapers, Varsol and WD40, and a toothbrush to get all the waxy stuff off. I removed all the way wipers to allow access to all the nooks and crannies and it came out looking great.

20210924_074727.jpg 20210924_074813.jpg 20210924_090326.jpg 20210924_090339.jpg 20210924_090410.jpg 20210924_090358.jpg 20210924_093302.jpg

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice looking machine, John. I'm glad it finally landed & everything went well. No doubt do to a lot of careful planning & preparation on your part. Looking forward to the rest of of the build.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It is drop dead gorgeous John. Looks better than a new car! Bet it sees a lot of luvin! My bride would make me put clothes on it.......

A picture of the head please?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just curious, are both your X handles the conventional 'fixed to the leadscrew' or is one of them a 'push in to engage' type? Modern told me they are obligated to have one of the latter on, mandatory CDN? safety thing. I hated the push-in & ended up buying a 'spare'. But one needs to careful around a turning handle in power feed mode, which is probably what this requirement is all about.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I spent today sorting out the leveling feet. Matt told me this is their first shipment of mills with a different design for foot mounting so he sent me ones with short 12mm studs that really don't offer height adjustability since the holes in the base are threaded 3/4"-10. I had to run a tap through all the holes to clear out all the sand, paint and other crap. I shortened the studs that came with the feet so 3/4" protrudes above the washer. I bought some 3/4"-10 X 2.5" bolts that are fully threaded and bored a 12mm hole .800" deep in the ends. The 12mm studs fits up into the end of the 3/4" bolt and I have about 1.25" of height adjustment on each corner, enough to deal with the slope of my shop floor. I machine off 1/2 the thickness of the lock nuts to allow as much adjustment as possible.

20210925_110654.jpg

20210925_131021.jpg

20210925_122616.jpg

20210925_102716.jpg

20210925_103420.jpg

20210925_172829.jpg

Attachments

• 20210925_131021.jpg
    20210925_131021.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 7

John Conroy

Premium Member
Once I got that sorted I moved it to it's final resting place, exactly where my old mill was. I drilled and tapped four M6 bolt holes for my VFD enclosure mounting arm which is really meant for wall mounting a TV. I chose it so I could mount to a non vertical surface and still have the articulating arm level with the table. I had already test run this VFD but I had to change to acceleration and deceleration times from 3 seconds to 5 as I was getting over current errors occasionally on starts and stops. Other than that it runs like a top and is incredibly smooth and quiet.

20210925_172813.jpg

20210925_172905.jpg

20210925_145148.jpg

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
Just curious, are both your X handles the conventional 'fixed to the leadscrew' or is one of them a 'push in to engage' type? Modern told me they are obligated to have one of the latter on, mandatory CDN? safety thing. I hated the push-in & ended up buying a 'spare'. But one needs to careful around a turning handle in power feed mode, which is probably what this requirement is all about.
All the handles are the non safety versions. As I found on my old mill you really have to be careful when using the power feeds.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well that snugged up to the heater with a playing card gap to spare LoL.
Dumb question (coming from the same guy that didn't consider potential interference of his garage door tracks vs ceiling height) - will you be able to rotate without motor can interfering?

Attachments

• EDT-2021-09-25 9.55.49 PM.jpg
    EDT-2021-09-25 9.55.49 PM.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 12

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yeah it is taller than my old mill. There is about 4" of clearance to the furnace. Not enough height for my riser block unless I move the mill forward about 6". I haven't tried to figure out where the extra height is yet but it is about the same total height as the old mill after the riser block was installed.

Last edited: