New 10" X 54" mill ordered.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I found that you can track most cargo ships just with a Google search. The first pic shows the position of the Ever Lunar as of last night, just off the west coast of Japan. Second pic shows the zoomed out view where you can see just how many boats/ships there are around East Asia.

https://www.shiplocation.com/vessels/EVER-LUNAR/CURRENT-POSITION/9629093

The shipping lane from Taiwan to North America leaves Taiwan and heads north through the Sea of Japan then turns east and a little south to get to L.A. I assume this is because of the calm sea conditions between China and Japan.

View attachment 16350

View attachment 16351

Actually the "turn north' thing is a distance saving exercise. Airlines & shipping companies all go "north " a bit on trans oceanic travel...I was told by a pilot one time that it is shorter distance to go "over the top" as he called it than around the belly of the earth.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Well I got some disappointing news this morning. The Ever Lunar has arrived at the Port of Los Angeles and was scheduled to dock and begin unloading today but because of a huge backlog of ships waiting there it is now estimated that it will not happen until Aug 20. There are currently 111 ships being unloaded and 47 more, including the Ever Lunar are waiting at anchor for their turn. Apparently the return to more normal shipping volumes has overwhelmed port around the world. This pic shows the congestion at Los Angeles.

Ever Lunar Aug 12 2012.png

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I got some disappointing news this morning. The Ever Lunar has arrived at the Port of Los Angeles and was scheduled to dock and begin unloading today but because of a huge backlog of ships waiting there it is now estimated that it will not happen until Aug 20. There are currently 111 ships being unloaded and 47 more, including the Ever Lunar are waiting at anchor for their turn. Apparently the return to more normal shipping volumes has overwhelmed port around the world. This pic shows the congestion at Los Angeles.

View attachment 16566
Wow. It's neat that you can track the shipment of your machine but I think I'd be jumping out of my skin with each delay. I guess it is what it is and will get here when it gets here but I'm even exited for just pictures and your evaluation of the machine.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yeah I am getting pretty antsy and bummed by all the delays. It's looking like it will be near the end of September before it gets here.

John Conroy

Premium Member
The Ever Lunar now is 19th on the list of ships waiting to be unloaded and the ETA for that is now Aug 21. I am told that could change because only a few of the dock locations have cranes that can work with a ship 335 meters long. Every part of the cargo system is so overburdened that I'm sure there will be more delays along the way. I'm still thinking end of September. A full 2 months later than I expected when I made the order. Can't fault PM, they have no control over any of the shipping.

Ever Lunar Aug 17 2021.png

LA wait list Aug 16 1443pm.png

John Conroy

Premium Member
I've given up trying to predict the ETA as every type of cargo transport seems to be running way behind schedule. The ship was supposed to be unloaded on the 12th, there was a 9 day delay due to over taxed port facilities. I'm guessing the rail trip to Pittsburgh and then the truck transport to Edmonton will be slower than normal as well. It's taking all my will power to not cancel the order from PM and just buy a 3VS mill from Modern. I haven't canceled the collet chuck, I was kind of waiting for your review of it.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Just your general impression of it. How did the "SET Tru" feature work for you? Were you able to get the runout a low as advertised? I already have a 5C collet chuck but it is not very good as far as runout goes (.0015") and I like the extended clamping range of the ER40 system so I'm ready to commit to ER40 if the chuck is good quality.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The Set Tru feature works very well, it's just like setting up the 4 jaw chuck. As for runout I got it to less than .0005 in the taper using a new Mitutoya DTI. The unit itself seems well made and is a tight fit on my spindle, I have to go around tightening the locks a few times to get it locked in but that may just be that it's new. To remove it takes some light taps with the plastic hammer but nothing harmful. If it works as well as it looks it will be a good addition to the tool box.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
One thing I just remembered is the wrench is a multisize wrench, 55-62mm, so it doesn't fit the collet nut well. The wrench will work by why not include a wrench that actually fits the nut. I'm making a new wrench that fits the nut but you may want to ask Matt to include the proper wrench.
P1010825.JPG

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
My runout test was just the chuck, not with a collet.
My lathe doesn't have a spindle lock so I'm thinking of making a wrench for the chuck as well as the collet nut wrench. The chuck has predrilled holes evenly spaced around the outside so a chuck wrench is doable. That way I'll be able to put some torque on the nut and hopefully get it somewhere close to the 130 mark. I hope to get the nut wrench finished in the next couple of days so then I'll try a collet.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I made a fixture for my er40 but it broke on attempt to torque. Need to make it beefier

I don’t have a torque wrench that has a fitting for the er40 so I was going by feel. I was not at 130 ft lbs when the fixture broke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk