• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New 10" X 54" mill ordered.

John Conroy

Premium Member
As some of you already know I have ordered a new Precision Matthews PM1054 mill. Due to production and shipping issues caused by the pandemic the ETA has been pushed back to late August. I ordered a 3 phase motor as I really like the electronic variable speed functionality afforded when using a VFD so it will be set up much like my old Ferro mill. I have sold 2 vintage motorcycles and my old mill to raise funds for the new machine and I have been watching our dollar value compared to the USD and sent PM the money in early July when the USD was at $1.21 Canadian. PM offered a 2% discount if paid by wire transfer in advance. I am going to install a Teco L510 VFD in a steel box enclosure on a swing arm mounted to the machine similar to what I had on the old mill. I am also going to install the 6" riser block that I had one the old mill.

I did a lot of research before choosing PM as the vendor over Modern Tools, where I bought my new lathe a while back. These are some of the factors I used to make my choice.

Milling machine comparison notes: Modern Tools 3VM vs Precision Matthews PM1054T

3VM available immediately (June 1 2021), PM1054 available end of August 2021 (advantage Modern)

PM1054 weighs 3000LBS vs 3VM weighs 2300LBS. (advantage PM)

Both are completely manufactured in Taiwan and have Turcite B coating on X and Y axis ways (draw)

3VM has 16” of ram travel, PM1054 has 20” (advantage PM)

3VM has 30” of X axis table travel, PM1054 has 36” (advantage PM)

3VM comes with Three HP 3 phase motor and CSA electrics, PM1054 three HP 3 phase motor has no CSA electrics (much simpler to install VFD) (advantage PM)

As quoted 3VM comes with X and Y axis power feeds ( Align brand) and a Sino 3 axis LED DRO installed, a halogen work light and flood coolant system. PM1054 comes with power feeds for X, Y and Z axes (Align brand), heavy duty leveling pads, a PM branded 3 axis LCD DRO and a Maxi Torque Right power draw bar (all accessories to be installed by purchaser) (advantage PM, I would never use flood coolant, don’t like the halogen work light and would rather install my own accessories)

3VM comes with 1 year warranty, PM1054 comes with 5 year warranty (advantage PM)

Total price including shipping, tax and customs brokerage for PM1054 is $1400 CDN less than the Modern 3VM machine (advantage PM)

I have already bought the VFD and installed it in the enclosure and I have all the wiring and set up done, I connected the VFD to the 3 phase motor on my drill press to function test it. When the machine arrives I will only have to bolt the swing arm bracket on and connect the 4 wires at the motor. I also stripped and repainted the riser block to match the color of the new mill.

Now I just have to be patient until it arrives.

Picture of a single phase version of the PM1054.

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
Thanks guys, yeah David I bought the C14 new in 08 and it's my main ride. Fantastic bike. I still have a DR650 dual sport for exploring backroads and the Buell X1 for when I feel like riding a back to basics torque monster. It reminds me of the Norton Comando I had in the 70's but it's reliable and doesn't leak. I was going to sell the Buell but my son has other ideas. I also still have a few vintage bikes lined up to get their turn being brought back to life.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh boy the waiting will be hard but exciting to get such a beautiful new mill, and it sounds like it was the better deal/choice on top of it all.

I love the picture of the old Yamaha 250.
I had an old pass me down 1969 CT175 junker when I was a teenager. Man I loved that bike. It had been rode hard and abused long before I got it but I always had dreams of restoring it. I had bored and put in new rings and pistons but that's as far as I got. 31 years later after sitting idle I figured I better get rid of the thing so I fired it up and rode it around the block a couple of times and sold it.
He is a clip of it just before I sold it. I don't know if the 250's sounded like it did but the 175's all sounded the same and that brings back good memories for those that ever rode them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/FK6YeIgY6kw?feature=share

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm looking forward to the mill arrival too.
Very interesting on the warranty period, hadn't realized that about PM.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I got word from Matt today that the shipment containing my mill is on the container ship Ever Lunar due to dock in L.A, on Aug 10. Then it goes by rail to Pittsburg. There is will get a pre-delivery inspection and be crated and come the rest of the way to Edmonton by truck. Interestingly the sister ship of the Ever Lunar is the Ever Given that was stuck in the Suez Canal back in March. No canals between Taiwan and L.A. thankfully!

EVER_LUNAR.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Lots of goodies in those sea cans. Apparently the 'Ever-Stuck' was causing all sorts of supply chain issues from IKEA to computer hardware. But it was the subsequent impounding that really added delay time.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's very detailed tracking information:cool: you won't get that from bangood although the last two items I received I received an email the same day it was delivered so there does appear to be some feedback from Canada Post. I am sure you are watching many videos everyday in anticipation of your new arrival.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I bought a brand new 1972 Kawasaki F9 Bighorn (350 cc enduro) and it's one of the bikes I wish i had never sold. They are extremely rare today but I have a running bike and a parts bike so that will be the next project. I have it all apart right now and the wheels are restored but it will be winter before I resume work on it. This is the thread I started on it.

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/kawasaki-f9-bighorn-project.1764/

Should look like this when done.

1972 F9.jpg

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
That's very detailed tracking information:cool: you won't get that from bangood although the last two items I received I received an email the same day it was delivered so there does appear to be some feedback from Canada Post. I am sure you are watching many videos everyday in anticipation of your new arrival.

I found that you can track most cargo ships just with a Google search. The first pic shows the position of the Ever Lunar as of last night, just off the west coast of Japan. Second pic shows the zoomed out view where you can see just how many boats/ships there are around East Asia.

https://www.shiplocation.com/vessels/EVER-LUNAR/CURRENT-POSITION/9629093

The shipping lane from Taiwan to North America leaves Taiwan and heads north through the Sea of Japan then turns east and a little south to get to L.A. I assume this is because of the calm sea conditions between China and Japan.

ever lunar July 29 2021.png

JULY 29 ZOOM OUT.png

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
nice choice for the mill - two of my friends have the Modern setup and are happy with it. You, on the other hand, wile LOVE the PM one. And Matt is a great guy to do business with.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Well the Ever Lunar is heading through the Tsugaru Strait between the main island of Japan and Hokkaido. It will be out in open Pacific the rest of the way, about 8000 km. Average speed is 18 knots of about 33 kph Which means it will take 242 hours or 10 days to reach L.A.

Through Tsugaru Strait July 30 2021.png