New 10" X 54" mill ordered.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Has anyone made a proper 1/2" drive socket to allow using a torque wrench?
My next comment may get a bunch of "eye rolls" and "duhs" but would the torque needed not depend on the material and material size being clamped? DOC would also play a big part in how much clamping force is needed.
Would smaller diameter material need more clamping force as there is less clamping area than larger diameter material?

John Conroy

Premium Member
I talked to Nicole at Precision Matthews today, they have a rail car being delivered tomorrow morning that is probably the one containing my mill. Keeping my fingers crossed.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Got notice this morning that the machine is in PM's warehouse in Pittsburgh, so it took 19 days to get from the hold of the Ever Lunar to there. Actually that's faster than I expected. They will now do some pre-delivery inspections and ship to me by truck. They say that could happen as soon as Monday since all the accessories I ordered with the mill just have to be put in the crate. I plan to install the power feeds, DRO and power draw bar myself. When I ordered my PM932 mill from them in 2013 it took 7 days to get to the Day and Ross freight terminal in Edmonton. I may get it before the end of September after all.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I got notice from PM today that the mill has been shipped with Estes Express, a company the specializes in LTL freight to Mexico and Canada from the USA. The commercial invoice has been sent to the customs broker so hopefully there is no hold up there. I used their "Transit Time Calculator" and came up with an ETA 6 days from now, Tuesday September 21. We'll see how accurate that is.

Estes tansit time calculator.png

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
I'm following the mill using the tracking info supplied by Estes. They say it has arrived at the Estes facility in Joliet Illinois. I assume it will be loaded onto a different truck there. Only 7.5 hrs from Coraopolis PA where PM is but better than nothing.

Corapolis PA to Joliet IL Sept 16 2021.png

John Conroy

Premium Member
It has left Joliet and Estes is now giving an ETA of Thursday Sept 23 at a logistics outfit in Edmonton.

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
The trucking industry never sleeps. Overnight it made it from Minneapolis to Fargo and got loaded onto a different truck. I hope all those forklift operators are fully awake and sober. Looks like it should hit the border crossing at North Portal in Saskatchewan today.

Crankit

The trucking industry never sleeps. Overnight it made it from Minneapolis to Fargo and got loaded onto a different truck. I hope all those forklift operators are fully awake and sober. Looks like it should hit the border crossing at North Portal in Saskatchewan today.

Might be in Edmonton on Monday?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy cow. Following your mill's journey across the globe is like watching a walnut tree grow!

John Conroy

Premium Member
Well a day later and it's still in Fargo but they still have 5 days to meet their ETA.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Oh my... This is like watching mountains grow......

But I bet you are as excited as a little boy on Christmas Eve....

I can barely stand the wait for a custom timing belt to arrive, I can only imagine waiting for a brand new mill.......

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If you post the delivery time and date you'll need to set up chairs and sell beer for all those who'll be attending the event :D lol