• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bridgeport Project

architect

Super User
So the top bearing is really stuck to the cover. But I see the wave washer between there.

PXL_20210618_013221246.jpg

There's some play in the overall vari spindle assembly when it's in the brake shoe but can't quite figure out why yet.

PXL_20210618_010844073.jpg

The two bearings on the spindle are no good needs replacement.

PXL_20210618_010839020.jpg

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So the top bearing is really stuck to the cover.

If the bearing is toast - don’t be shy to destroy it to get it out. You want to protect the cover from damage, therefore you sacrifice the bearing that is broken already.

There's some play in the overall vari spindle assembly when it's in the brake shoe but can't quite figure out why yet.

Not exactly sure what you were expecting: the brake shoes do not locate the vari-drive. The bearings of the vari-drive do. Are you saying the bearings (bushings) are worn? The bushings are considered a consumable and need replacing from time to time. Kits are available.

The two bearings on the spindle are no good needs replacement.

With all the bearings and bushings in bad shape, you might want to consider a BP head rebuild kit. It should include all the parts you need for the top half & spindle cartridge bearings are also available (not affiliated).
https://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/store/1478157/page/601085

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So the top bearing is really stuck to the cover. But I see the wave washer between there.......

You make me jealous. You are making great progress. I wish even one of mine was that far along.....

I ordered the rebuild manuals that @Brent H recommended, but they are still weeks away from delivery.

Could you please take a photo of the pages that deal with the back gear assembly? The rear pulley on my Hartford wobbles way more than I think it should and I'd like to get in there and see why it's doing that. But I'm reluctant to just start unbolting things......

Yes, I know that the book you have is for the BP vari-speed. But I'd bet good money that the back gear is the same on the 8spd pulley version too.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
here's some videos that made my rebuild of my back gear a breeze:

The above one made my work very easy!

Neat tricks in putting it all back together.

architect

Super User
I found the play in the vari assembly... it appears to be missing the spindle spacer. This is probably what destroyed the bearings over time...

SpindleSpacer.gif

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
here's some videos that made my rebuild of my back gear a breeze:

Missing in that video is any reference to how much play is allowable in the big gear.

Unless I missed it, there is only one bearing in there so some play is going to be inevitable.

My big gear has around 1/4" that it can be moved back and forth or side to side.

How much play do you think is ok?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The heads for the pulley drive and the variable drive are quite different; The variable has a Hi-Lo selector that maintains spindle direction, where the pulley uses a back gear that reverses direction. So very different mechanisms.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The heads for the pulley drive and the variable drive are quite different; The variable has a Hi-Lo selector that maintains spindle direction, where the pulley uses a back gear that reverses direction. So very different mechanisms.

OK, so is the play I have ok on the JHead design or should I rebuild the back gear?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have no play in any of the gears in my 'First' mill head. I have not disassembled my Hartford head.

OK. I'll wait for my rebuild book or a motor to arrive. But I'll bet that gear is why it was such a great price. Mixed blessing I suppose.

architect

Super User
My brake shoes look asymmetrical but hard to say if something broke off. Maybe best to replace.

1624581489667.png 1624581507116.png

Motor pulley cover has scars from the motor spring. Is this a cause for concern?

1624581816911.png

Belts look clean

1624581838487.png

Spindle pulley spins decent with no kinks. It doesn't fly with freely with it's own momentum but maybe that's normal?

1624581999073.png

Now I'm just waiting for my Princess Auto gear puller to come in to pull the bearings from the vari-disc assembly and continue into the back gear housing

1624582144035.png

I've just been cleaning all the parts until the puller comes in. May get a cheap small 2L parts washer to get all the bits nice and clean.

1624582189784.png

1624582239754.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It seems nobody more experienced has jumped in so I don't mind commenting. Just keep in mind that I'm a newbie at all this so my thoughts are worth what you paid for them....... Lol!

I don't know anything about mill brakes. But I know car brakes quite well. If they work the same, it shouldn't matter if they are a bit asymmetrical. Unlike disc brakes, drum brakes in a vehicle don't touch the drum until applied and they self center. The shoes also look fairly evenly worn. If rotating the actuator applies them evenly, with lots of room for wear, I would guess they are ok.

Check KBC Tools for a parts washer at a decent price. That where I got mine about 20 years ago and it still works great. Buy a full 5gal pail of solvent......

Any chance that motor cover damage is related to the mismatched spring compression screws?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
brake shoes look asymmetrical but hard to say if something broke off.

A little wear on the lining, but nothing to worry about or warrant replacing. File off any sharp edges and raised burrs in the areas you circled. Check for hairline cracks. If a-ok, install. You’ll never wear those brake shoes out - they lasted this long.

Motor pulley cover has scars from the motor spring. Is this a cause for concern?

I would investigate that one a bit. See what could be rubbing - a key that has slipped out a bit; a bolt that is not tightened all the way. Maybe the pulley sheave slipped down on the motor shaft? Once the motor with vari-drive is back in the head, check clearance. There should be some.

architect

Super User
It seems nobody more experienced has jumped in so I don't mind commenting. Just keep in mind that I'm a newbie at all this so my thoughts are worth what you paid for them....... Lol!

I don't know anything about mill brakes. But I know car brakes quite well. If they work the same, it shouldn't matter if they are a bit asymmetrical. Unlike disc brakes, drum brakes in a vehicle don't touch the drum until applied and they self center. The shoes also look fairly evenly worn. If rotating the actuator applies them evenly, with lots of room for wear, I would guess they are ok.

Check KBC Tools for a parts washer at a decent price. That where I got mine about 20 years ago and it still works great. Buy a full 5gal pail of solvent......

Any chance that motor cover damage is related to the mismatched spring compression screws?

They sell a King 5gal washer for $80 so I'll probably grab that. Any recommendation on water based solvent and where to source a pail?