• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Bridgeport Project

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHM - @architect will be taking pics and such. Hopefully everything is pretty smooth. The seller is lining up a fork lift to put it on the trailer - perfect - we will “block it” and “ lock it” and then “rock it” back to @architect’s place. I have a video of the noise from @architect and sounds a bit like mine did before a few tweaks and bearings.

should be a fun project and then super fun to use!!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Sounds like a chainsaw so bearings need replacement. @Brent H and I willl open it up to see what the extend of work required.

Ouch, do you think its up top or in the spindle? I've not had a bport apart, but I did the spindle on my XLO last year, bloody expensive....but yours'll still be a steal at that price.

Brent H

Ultra Member
We I’ll give’er the once over. If you drop $1000 into a $1200 mill and make it new - you still have a deal.

hoping to luck into a 220 V motor or, I learn to rewind motors :p

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It could just be worn varidrive pulley bushings. They are considered wear items. If you put the mill in neutral, and turn the spindle by hand, you should be able to get a pretty good feel if the bearings are shot. A lot of times they are not and can be made “like new“ by rebuilding them. The upper head bearings are not that expensive as they are standard grade bearings.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
We I’ll give’er the once over. If you drop $1000 into a $1200 mill and make it new - you still have a deal.

hoping to luck into a 220 V motor or, I learn to rewind motors :p

For sure.....and you get a mill with new bearings. Is that a standard NEMA frame or something special? It might be worth comparing the the cost/bother of new motor or rewind option to to single phase step up transformer + a VFD. I did it on a smaller 440V lathe...worked really well and there usually seem to be some used single phase transformers kicking around on kijiji. Not saying its neccesarily the way to go, but worth consideration as an option.

Last edited:

Proxule

Ultra Member
It could just be worn varidrive pulley bushings. They are considered wear items. If you put the mill in neutral, and turn the spindle by hand, you should be able to get a pretty good feel if the bearings are shot. A lot of times they are not and can be made “like new“ by rebuilding them. The upper head bearings are not that expensive as they are standard grade bearings.

Done this more then once. Repacking with quality chevron or maybe a spindle specific grease might make things better. Although I did rebuild P5 bearings this way. I wouldnt touch regular old princessquto bearings.

Ymmv

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch - you are not too far out of my way (I think). I have a trip to Brantford very soon and will be heading through the Hamilton area if you are having issues. Get a copy of that book on refurbishing a Bridgeport- lots of great info

architect

Super User
Looks like a great deal to me Architect. Bed looks like it is in much better shape than mine is. How are the ways?

Noisy top section was prolly a blessing cuz it got the price WAY down.

Wish I had members like Brent close by me!

I'm not experienced enough to say but here's some more photos. Moving the table around the axis felt -okay-.

PXL_20210609_225808261.jpg
PXL_20210609_225754736.jpg

At the end of the day it won't be able to run after bearing replacement until I locate a 220v motor.

Last edited: