Whelp, there goes the neighborhood.

Well, I was pretty dang pleased with myself, yes sirie, pretty damned pleased, I was....... Oh, how the one piece nested insides of the next, which in turn
nested in the next, a metal fabbing machine I have become.......... Just this one little piece to make, and what a beaut of a part it is.......... #$#@$_&&$#
20240409_190809.jpg
Here it is stuck to the front with a couple pairs of vise grips .....
20240327_182812.jpg
Anybody else notice that this gap is about the same thickness as the front flange on our new part, ya, me neither. :( For some reason I didn't account for the front piece when I made my otherwise perfect......ly acceptable template. :rolleyes:
At this point I went out to the chicken coop and fried a couple eggs on my forehead for breakfast...... After a couple hours I talked myself back off the ledge, went out to the shop and removed the rag from the fuel tank (damn thing was too short to reach the fuel anyway) and gave the whole thing a little bit of thought.
20240423_134345.jpg
Long and short of it, my bend-ment has has become a weldment with a bit of grindment
20240423_152953.jpg
And back looking like it should have in the first place. 20240423_155321.jpg
..... aside from the little gap that I have to fill where new meets old, the outer skin fits pretty good and with a little luck I might even get it welded in one day......:rolleyes:

Looks great. You're getting pretty good at that. When you're done there, you wanna come over and do some patch work on my mower deck?
Thanks, I wish that there was a little more time to stick with it a little more, but it is hard with spring in the air.....
At the speed that I work, we should probably start with the snowblower, it's a little late for mowing season. :rolleyes:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
No tin brasher ever learned the art from a book. The only way to become proficient is to put in the time and make the mistakes. From what I’ve seen, you’re doing great!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Thanks, I wish that there was a little more time to stick with it a little more, but it is hard with spring in the air.....
At the speed that I work, we should probably start with the snowblower, it's a little late for mowing season. :rolleyes:
I always think that one of these days I'll actually get a season ahead, but it's always reactive maintenance on "in season" junk lol.

A while back I bought one of these 18" offshore bead rollers, and while you can roll a bead, it's not the most user friendly thing, trying to crank the handle and feed the sheet in straight.
20240407_200337.jpg
I had an old ATV winch taking up space and a few ideas gleaned from YouTube....
20240414_205205.jpg
I cut the outside end of the drum off, bored the center to fit the drive end of the bead roller that I turned down to 3/4" so I would have enough meat left on the drum for set screws.
20240416_120444.jpg
Welded a mounting bracket for the winch motor, and we have a basic powered bead roller.

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
A while back I bought one of these 18" offshore bead rollers, and while you can roll a bead, it's not the most user friendly thing, trying to crank the handle and feed the sheet in straight.
View attachment 47352
I had an old ATV winch taking up space and a few ideas gleaned from YouTube....
View attachment 47353
I cut the outside end of the drum off, bored the center to fit the drive end of the bead roller that I turned down to 3/4" so I would have enough meat left on the drum for set screws.
View attachment 47356
Welded a mounting bracket for the winch motor, and we have a basic powered bead roller.
I have one sitting in a box. Tried it a few times. Same issue. Hard to use.

Another well documented problem with these is the amount of flex in them, I could get almost a 1/4" deflection with just my fingers....
20240427_133143.jpg
I beefed up the backside with 3/8" x 2" flat bar bent and welded on. The small plate with the 2 bolts serves to align, and stiffen, as well as mount a fence.
20240427_133137.jpg
The start of the fence on the other side. I got this far and the puppies started creating a ruckus, so it was time to stop for a while.

Last edited:

jorogi

Another well documented problem with these is the amount of flex in them, I could get almost a 1/4" deflection with just my fingers....
View attachment 47362
I beefed up the backside with 3/8" x 2" flat bar bent and welded on. The small plate with the 2 bolts serves to align, and stiffen, as well as mount a fence.
View attachment 47363
The start of the fence on the other side. I got this far and the puppies started creating a ruckus, so it was time to stop for a while.
Uh....and where are the puppy ruckus pictures ?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm always on the fence about building one of those, vs buying one, and modifying it for duty. There's been a couple times where one would be handy.