• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Sticky What Machines Do You have?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Seems like @Downwindtracker2 that tools for tools is always the way and fixing the equipment takes up loads of time! I know I have 3 or 4 projects underway for my mill... VFD, a mill riser, want a one shot Oiler, need Z axis completed ....

Tom O

Ultra Member
That’s a nice horizontal mill Alexander!
Here’s mine the lathe still isn’t running although I have replaced a few cards.

JohnnyTK

I have a 4400 Sherline Lathe, 5400 Sherline Mill with tooling plate and Taig Lathe. Just in the process of insulating my garage in my house to be able to set this all up and begin making chips.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have a 4400 Sherline Lathe, 5400 Sherline Mill with tooling plate and Taig Lathe. Just in the process of insulating my garage in my house to be able to set this all up and begin making chips.

Your Sherline Mill Johnny a question? What accuracy can you achieve? What is the smallest graduation on the dials ? - I assume it's manual? Thanks I'm wondering how accurate these smaller machines can be.

JohnnyTK

Your Sherline Mill Johnny a question? What accuracy can you achieve? What is the smallest graduation on the dials ? - I assume it's manual? Thanks I'm wondering how accurate these smaller machines can be.
I have never used it and for me to say what accuracy that can be achieved, as a newbie would not be even valid. But they are used for watchmaking and some other small projects. I have watched numerous videos and a few people in the facebook group and have said they have the variance down to 0.0001 with some work. I has 50 graduations on the dial and moves it .050 per revolution. I should have bought the metric one, now that I'm looking back in hindsight. Luiz Ally on youtube has some great videos of them in action mostly CNC model though.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That’s a nice horizontal mill Alexander!
Here’s mine the lathe still isn’t running although I have replaced a few cards.
Okay okay there are some people in this room calling themselves "HOBBYIST" machinist..... Do we need to define the parameters of what can be considered hobby?!? Lol.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Lol This is what happens when you think you can take it a little further, the original machines are in the basement. This is my first go round with Cnc other than having a 3D printer so there is a fair bit to learn, at the moment I’m about to give threadmilling a go trying for 1/4 20 then a metric m5 if it doesn’t snap!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Lol This is what happens when you think you can take it a little further, the original machines are in the basement. This is my first go round with Cnc other than having a 3D printer so there is a fair bit to learn, at the moment I’m about to give threadmilling a go trying for 1/4 20 then a metric m5 if it doesn’t snap!
Love the mill!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
282bea1f23f40999b0de391688da17de.jpg

Dania II shaper (danish machine company) circa 1935-1950

769895ca9fc8043cc3938965fb1b98e9.jpg

Von Wyck 16x40 lathe circa 1903

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom O

Ultra Member
282bea1f23f40999b0de391688da17de.jpg

Dania II shaper (danish machine company) circa 1935-1950

769895ca9fc8043cc3938965fb1b98e9.jpg

Von Wyck 16x40 lathe circa 1903

Nice shaper is that machined spot on the base for supporting the table? The original Atlas shapers didn’t support theirs until the 2nd version. I have my dads Atlas in the basement but my son wants a bigger one!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well it didn’t snap off the threadmill but didn’t cut it either, it drilled the .201 holes and lowered the threadmill into the hole 1/2” deep and stopped declaring a cutter comp message on screen so today I’ll check out the cad which worked fine in Fusion.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Yes, the machines spot is for a support bar (didn't come with that piece ). I have a project in mind to make one

Tom O

Ultra Member
I found out why it wouldn’t threadmill, in the cutter compensation it gives you some choices I had it set on “ wear “ and it worked after changing to “ in machine “ now I just have to have a play with the offsets to adjust the fit.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Tom did you buy that mill new? Nice. I’m taking the Cnc classes at sait starting in Feb. haas equipment is used in the later classes.
Post pics of threadmill tool and control panel doing this if you get a chance. I’d be quite interested.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought it new last year for my son and I to give me something to do now that I’m retired and him opportunities that he’d never get on his own the mill is pretty much loaded rigid tapping, high volume coolant pump with programable nozzle, probe with toolset high speed machining although being a newb it’s running at 50% feed.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
EC9117F0-51A5-4D95-9078-AE06F0143364.jpeg 29D1531D-670E-4A37-8257-990E97DF1C94.jpeg BF4A82FC-EC52-46FB-97AE-9D78E0F9B7D3.jpeg
I moved seven chip conveyors today. I don’t like moving them because the weight in the motor is in mid-air, that and they’re very tippy loading and unloading.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Take a height measurement before you drive through Calgary LOL

Attachments

• SNAG-1-17-2019 0001.jpg
    SNAG-1-17-2019 0001.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Take a height measurement before you drive through Calgary LOL
First time heading to the west coast I ran by myself. Two months experience and I’m heading to the Rockies just after New Years. Get out to Chilliwack BC and meet up with two other co-workers, they ran together so the rookie could learn from the veteran.

They asked “how’d you like the Calgary bypass?”

Me- “what Calgary bypass!?”

I haven’t been back through Calgary since to find it LOL

Tom Fitzpatrick

I'm just getting into machining. I have been woodworking for several years and have a shop full of woodworking machinery.

I have been doing some metal fab with basic cutting tools and a millermatic 210 mig welder.
Recently picked up an old Altas 12 x 36 Lathe. It was non-operational when i picked it up however I have just recently pieced it together enough to make my first few passes. Thanks to John (Janger) for letting me use his milling machine to mill a custom T-Nut for the quick change tool post that I picked up. I'm pleased with it and I'm sure I will get into all sorts of projects soon. I need to make a custom washer / shim for my bandsaw and I am also planning on re-making 2 rollers for a 6" belt sander that I have.

I just picked up a milling machine today (Kijiji). Busy Bee (Craftex) Knee Mill. Seems very well made and the guy I bought it from only put 5 hours into it. All of the ways still have all of the hand scraper marks so that is a tell tale sign that the machine has not seen many hours. It came with a nice R8 collet set and a clamping kit (both brand new - still in the wrappers). I'm very excited to make my first cuts on this machine! I happened to score a bunch of lathe and mill tooling at the same Kijiji haul as Josh so I have a bunch of end mills, Indicators (including a co-ax), etc! I do need to buy a vice for the mill.

Here are a few photos of my old Atlas Lathe and the Knee Mill.

View attachment 59View attachment 60View attachment 61View attachment 62
Could you tell me the model # of your lathe and approximately when it was manufactured - I'm looking at one that's similar - does it also have a Craftsman metal raised letter label attached to the headstock. Approximately what was the ball park figure you purchased it for? Thanks so much.