RF30 Basement Install

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'd cut off the corners in the bandsaw first and finish on the rotary table.

Cutting the corners off on a 6" square on a 4X6 bandsaw isn't as easy as it sounds....

Plate5t.JPG

I had to remove the vise fixed jaw and hold her down with a single bolt. Godda come up with some sort of clamping arrangement for this kind of stuff?

Plate6.JPG

I've decided to try turning it round on the lathe. If that doesn't go well I'll try the RT.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well that didn't take long at all.....

Plate7.JPG

50 RPM, HSS tool. Sounded like a drum solo at first but soon settled down to a steady rhythm. Knew I was close when the swarf started coming off in curls. I'd call this a success:)

Now I'm hoping my 4J will hold it so that I can face if off and turn the chuck registration.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There's probably lots of different ways to do this job depending on the end result, but another idea is pre drill & tap some holes where the slots will eventually occur. That way you can use standoffs between the face plate & blank with bolts in from behind for the rounding operation as you've done, but also have a means to accurately face each side without having the bolt heads in the way. However you go about this, try & take off equal amounts. Not sure what material you have, but check for stress relief after skimming.

Attachments

• EDT-2021-10-17 5.09.06 PM.jpg
    EDT-2021-10-17 5.09.06 PM.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Sweet fits in my 4J with just enough stick out to face off and turn the registration.....

Plate8.JPG

I'm loving this Noga holder, should have gotten one years ago. Would have saved a lot of frustrations.

@PeterT I considered drilling and taping but got frustrated with the mill vise mounting issues and just decided to slot it and be done with it while it was still square rather than having to come back to it when it was round.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Faced off and chuck registration added.....

Plate9.JPG

How the hell did I mess up the lengths of the slots that bad:oops:

Plate10.JPG

Nailed the chuck registration:p She'll go on, but it's gonna be tight.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Nailed the chuck mounting holes..... Hey I'm getting better at this stuff:p

Plate11.JPG

Used the pointy bullet in the blind mounting holes technique @RobinHood suggested (Thanks Rudy) when I mounted my Bison chuck.

Plate12.JPG

Thought for sure the mounting bolts were M8 but they turned out to be 5/16-18. Have to source some 5/16 V Head screws now?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Well I'll be damned....Craig why didnt you post this 10 yrs ago....I'd 've knowed my vise is taped & threaded already for just that set-up and would've made use of it mannnnny times!!

Anyhow, and seriously, thanks to you I do know now.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
For cutting pieces too big for the vice I clamp a piece of 2x4 in the vice and then clamp the workpiece to that. You need t clamp really well, bolt it down or brace it against the vice jaw so it won’t move.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Oooops.... This ain't going to work very well:oops:

Plate13.JPG

T-Nuts are going to run into the table locks. I think there is enough room to squeak them by once they are shortened on one side....

What size chuck is appropriate for a 6" RT?

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have the same problem..... I'm using threaded 'nuts' which removed some of the bulk, but its still clumsy. and just when I think I have it under control, the nut will catch the table locks.

so it would appear a smaller chuck or a smarter way of attaching it is required. I'm watching your progress so I can mimic your solution.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hey Craig, nice project well done. What if you made new "T" nuts with the threaded hole on the outer end sufficient to clear the table locks. Perhaps there's enough room to drill and tap the "T" nuts you have hopefully they are not hardened. Nipping off the "T" nuts to clear your table locks should work. Just saying!

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just have a quick check of potential intersection points as the table turns

Attachments

• EDT-2021-10-19 2.30.13 PM.jpg
    EDT-2021-10-19 2.30.13 PM.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 7

John Conroy

Premium Member
The bolts go through the face of the chuck into the backplate like this. The bolts would screw into the T 20210722_104150.jpg nuts on the rotary table.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Not following? What's a face bolt?

Hey Craig, I didn't catch that one from @Brent H myself, then John cleared my fog with his photo, and here I thought it was another senior thing again. Are you one of them, thank God I'm not alone. LOL

While we are more-or-less on the topic of back plates registrations I'm going to ask this question here. I need to turn a face plate for my new collet chuck, however I'm unsure I'm using the correct technical wording. So my spindle has a (positive registration protrusion) which means that side of my back plate requires a (negative registration). My collet chuck has a (negative registration) which means that side will require a (positive registration). Searched on google and can't come up with the correct official technical terms.

Would some kind member step in here and put me out of my correct term confusion.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Craig, I didn't catch that one from @Brent H myself, then John cleared my fog with his photo, and here I thought it was another senior thing again. Are you one of them, thank God I'm not alone. LOL

While we are more-or-less on the topic of back plates registrations I'm going to ask this question here. I need to turn a face plate for my new collet chuck, however I'm unsure I'm using the correct technical wording. So my spindle has a (positive registration protrusion) which means that side of my back plate requires a (negative registration). My collet chuck has a (negative registration) which means that side will require a (positive registration). Searched on google and can't come up with the correct official technical terms.

Would some kind member step in here and put me out of my correct term confusion.

Your terminology works for me:p Can you not modify the collet chuck to match your spindle and not bother with a mounting plate? What size is the chuck you have that mounts directly on the spindle?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There are probably a few interchangeable words for this. 'Boss' is often used to mean any kind of protruding feature. I see it used often in CAD circles for this kind of thing & a few chuck/backplate references. Sometimes it doesn't have a name, just a numerical dimension. 'Recess' or 'pocket' might be a good word for the negative mating surface.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_(engineering)

Attachments

• SNAG-2021-10-19 7.15.05 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-10-19 7.15.05 PM.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: