• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

RF30 Basement Install

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Looking to borrow an engine hoist for a few days...

Preferably something that can be disassembled and setup in a basement. Not sure what dates at the moment but probably within the next two weeks. I'm in the NE but willing to pickup anywhere in the Calgary local.

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Mines available. The wheeled frame is the heaviest. I think it would take two people to get it up and down, The other parts would only take one person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Craig, my driveway is gravel and at the time I didn't have a hoist so I disassembled the mill to get it out of the back of my Canyon.
Looking back, if I had a hoist I could have probably lifted it out if the head was lowered all the way and it was rigged with minimal slack in the webbing.

Because it was disassembled when I put on the table using my hoist I dropped a loop of chain through the opening in the head and stuck a bar through the bottom of the loop and then put tension on it. Worked like a charm.
There may be pictures somewhere here or on H-M.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The bottom of the frame is about 30”x20”. The support legs spread out, at the ends they are about 4 to 5 feet apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I lay down 3/4" junk plywood on my gravel. works just fine that way. There are some pictures of this in the '3 tons' thread.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Craig,

I have about 20 pieces of 3/4 plywood cut into 2’x8’ sections (4x8 sheet cut in half). You can borrow as many as you think you need to put down onto the gravel to make the hoist roll easier.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hi Craig,

I have about 20 pieces of 3/4 plywood cut into 2’x8’ sections (4x8 sheet cut in half). You can borrow as many as you think you need to put down onto the gravel to make the hoist roll easier.

Great! Thanks.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

So, with little warning Bill @thriller007 showed up at my house with this this morning. We struck a deal and managed to scooch the machine from his truck to mine. Now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to break it down to move it into my shed and ultimately my basement.

I'm really pleased:)

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
oh man that looks fun ( maybe not the moving but the new machine) we will expect pictures and observations.