RF30 Basement Install

Well.... I think I can call my gear making venture a success...

View attachment 18413

View attachment 18415

Fits and functions just as well as the original.

View attachment 18416

Cutting the keyway into it turned into a bit of an adventure... On my first attempt to make a tool holder for the shaper I broke a 1/8" endmill trying to cut a tool slot in 1/2" round. There after I lost track of depth of cut and cut the slot too deep (top item). On the second attempt I made it all the way to tapping the hole for securing the cutting tool in the holder when I discovered I hadn't drilled the hole deep enough to allow the tap to cut full size thread. My attempt to use a bottom tap didn't go well at all (bottom item).

View attachment 18417

So then I decided to make a sleeve to hold my 3/8" boring bar. That worked to a point. First off I ground the cutting tool just a tad too narrow and secondly a 3/8" bar with a protruding cutting tool is a really tight fit in a 1/2" bore. Setting up was a PITA. In the end it did cut enough of a keyway (too narrow and too shallow) for me finish off with a needle file.

So, now I'm confident I can make usable gears with my little mill which was the purpose of this exercise in the first place.

I do how ever plan to post a critique of the RT dividing plate kit I got from Amazon as it was not usable out of the box.

Craig
Looks like you did a great job. Feels good being able to say, ,"yeah, I can make one of those".
This is what I came up with for my shaper. 20210315_220900.jpg

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was wondering if factory made gears are hardened at all? I would expect some applications have hardened gears, ie, transmission drives. Does it depend on the use and horsepower?

Blouin55

Michel
So following @David_R8 's lead. I purchased a powder feed from VEVOR for $200 CDN landed.

View attachment 13967

The PF was delivered Monday so I've been busy making a mount plate.

View attachment 13968

And lots of swarf in the process.

View attachment 13969

The PF is to be mounted on the LH side of mill on this lead screw bracket. The boss will be the registration and note the gitz oiler. In this image I have already drilled and tapped the mounting holes in the lead screw bracket.

View attachment 13970

This is the mounting plate. 3-1/2" round stock with registration recess. The rectangular slot gives me access to the gitz oiler. In this image the PF and mill mounting holes have all been drilled and tapped.

View attachment 13971

This is the mill side of the PF. Note the registration recess.

View attachment 13972

This is the PF side of the mounting plate with registration boss.

View attachment 13973

I had to make a bushing for the interface between the PF roller bearing and the lead screw. The one provided wasn't any where near the right size.

View attachment 13974

I used a milling head tool mounted in a boring bar holder to perform the bushing and drive gear boring. It worked pretty good.

View attachment 13975

This is the drive gear shortened and bored out 5/8" to 17mm.

View attachment 13979

Here she is all mounted up. I used 1/4-20 SHCS to mount everything. All seems to work fine although as @David_R8 mentioned it is kind of noisy. Also it does make cranking by hand a little heavier. That might get better with time.

View attachment 13977

This is some stuff that was supplied. The bushing is the one I had to replace. Haven't a clue what the springs are for or how the shims are to be used. The instructions don't mention them at all.
Is your back plate made from steel or aluminium?
I have aluminium stock in hand...

Blouin55

Michel
So following @David_R8 's lead. I purchased a powder feed from VEVOR for $200 CDN landed.

View attachment 13967

View attachment 13968

View attachment 13969

The PF is to be mounted on the LH side of mill on this lead screw bracket. The boss will be the registration and note the gitz oiler. In this image I have already drilled and tapped the mounting holes in the lead screw bracket.

View attachment 13970

This is the mounting plate. 3-1/2" round stock with registration recess. The rectangular slot gives me access to the gitz oiler. In this image the PF and mill mounting holes have all been drilled and tapped.

View attachment 13971

View attachment 13972

View attachment 13973

I had to make a bushing for the interface between the PF roller bearing and the lead screw. The one provided wasn't any where near the right size.

View attachment 13974

I used a milling head tool mounted in a boring bar holder to perform the bushing and drive gear boring. It worked pretty good.

View attachment 13975

View attachment 13979

Here she is all mounted up. I used 1/4-20 SHCS to mount everything. All seems to work fine although as @David_R8 mentioned it is kind of noisy. Also it does make cranking by hand a little heavier. That might get better with time.

View attachment 13977

This is some stuff that was supplied. The bushing is the one I had to replace. Haven't a clue what the springs are for or how the shims are to be used. The instructions don't mention them at all.
Did you have to make a keyway on the shaft to get the drive gear solid in place?

Blouin55

Michel

View attachment 13967

View attachment 13968

View attachment 13969

View attachment 13970

View attachment 13971

View attachment 13972

View attachment 13973

View attachment 13974

View attachment 13975

View attachment 13979

View attachment 13977

Did you used 1/4-20 for the set screws ?