• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

RF30 Basement Install

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I expect it does that because the unit is not mounted in the expected location.
Can you pop the cover off and swap the switch locations?

Hacker

Super User
Can you just swap the wires and leave the switches in place? It might save you some grief trying to put everything back together.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Can you just swap the wires and leave the switches in place? It might save you some grief trying to put everything back together.

It's tight in there. You would have to remove the switches to disconnect and swap the wires so it was just easier to swap the switches around.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I really didn't like the fact that this PF Limit Switch mounting arrangement negated the application of a hard stop.

LimitSWFix.JPG

So I fixed that niggle.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Excellent. Now don't be like me and just sand it down and stick it on... give it a coat of latex primer and top coat.
Otherwise it will be grimy in two seconds.

Looks like I need to relieve the hole a little. How does it attach to the power feed?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Mine just slips over and is held by friction.
Don't over-relieve the hole...

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I acquired a 6" HV Rotary Table, nothing special, just your plain jane BB RT. Ordered indexing plates on Amazon that were delivered within a week from India. The plates fit ok, but had to make up a mounting collar for the plates in order to get the crank handle to work acceptably. Since I have a 5" 3J chuck sitting on the shelf under my lathe doing nothing, I decided to make an adapter plate....

Plate1.JPG

Starting with 6" X 6" X 1/2" plate.

Plate2.JPG

The setup on my mill turned out to be a bit of a challenge. I decided to drill a centering hole and mill mounting slots in one go.

Plate3.JPG

Finally, with 4 slots, but not after having the plate move in the vise once @@@#$%$%&*(()()

Plate4.JPG

Here it is mounted on my face plate (Thanks @Brent H ). Initial thoughts were to turn her round on the lathe, but milling it round on the RT is another option.

Suggestions? Lathe or RT?

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Craig, I'm curious, did those elevated vise jaws that allow you to use the full size of the vise slide with spacers involved come factory with the vise or was it a personal addition....if personal, very well done. I would have never thought of doing that until I seen it here and many times I needed "just a little more jaw opening" to grab something.

I'm with john...cut the corners off first bandsaw, cut-off saw or third choice, torch. Actually torch is quite viable, just bench grind the hardened outside edge a bit with bench grinder to ease pressure on lathe or mill cutter.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Craig, I'm curious, did those elevated vise jaws that allow you to use the full size of the vise slide with spacers involved come factory with the vise or was it a personal addition....if personal, very well done. I would have never thought of doing that until I seen it here and many times I needed "just a little more jaw opening" to grab something.

I think it's a factory feature. @Dabbler can you comment?

OutSide1.JPG

OutSide2.JPG

The jaws are secured with recessed hex cap screws that allow the jaws to be moved to the outside of the fixed and moving portions of the vise.

VISE.JPG

Normally I use it in this configuration with the jaws on the inside.