• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

RF30 Basement Install

Proxule

Ultra Member
Hi Craig,

I have about 20 pieces of 3/4 plywood cut into 2’x8’ sections (4x8 sheet cut in half). You can borrow as many as you think you need to put down onto the gravel to make the hoist roll easier.
Very very generous lol. That stuffs pricey now a days....

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So following @David_R8 's lead. I purchased a powder feed from VEVOR for $200 CDN landed.

Delivered.JPG

The PF was delivered Monday so I've been busy making a mount plate.

Swarf.JPG

And lots of swarf in the process.

LSBracket.JPG

The PF is to be mounted on the LH side of mill on this lead screw bracket. The boss will be the registration and note the gitz oiler. In this image I have already drilled and tapped the mounting holes in the lead screw bracket.

MountMillSide.JPG

This is the mounting plate. 3-1/2" round stock with registration recess. The rectangular slot gives me access to the gitz oiler. In this image the PF and mill mounting holes have all been drilled and tapped.

PFRegister.JPG

This is the mill side of the PF. Note the registration recess.

MountFPSide.JPG

This is the PF side of the mounting plate with registration boss.

Bushing.JPG

I had to make a bushing for the interface between the PF roller bearing and the lead screw. The one provided wasn't any where near the right size.

BoringTool.JPG

I used a milling head tool mounted in a boring bar holder to perform the bushing and drive gear boring. It worked pretty good.

Gear.JPG

This is the drive gear shortened and bored out 5/8" to 17mm.

Mounted.JPG

Here she is all mounted up. I used 1/4-20 SHCS to mount everything. All seems to work fine although as @David_R8 mentioned it is kind of noisy. Also it does make cranking by hand a little heavier. That might get better with time.

MiscStuff.JPG

This is some stuff that was supplied. The bushing is the one I had to replace. Haven't a clue what the springs are for or how the shims are to be used. The instructions don't mention them at all.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks good!
You definitely got an X-axis unit as the orientation of the lever is completely different from mine. Is it left to move the table left or is it reversed?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Looks good!
You definitely got an X-axis unit as the orientation of the lever is completely different from mine. Is it left to move the table left or is it reversed?

You're right, your lever is 90 deg but it's labeled the same way. I'm betting you can position that as you wish some how. As for which way is left and which way is right I didn't pay attention. I'll report back once I have flats on the lead screw for the gear sets screws to land on. Can you post an image of how you mounted the limit switch please.

Craig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You're right, your lever is 90 deg but it's labeled the same way. I'm betting you can position that as you wish some how. As for which way is left and which way is right I didn't pay attention. I'll report back once I have flats on the lead screw for the gear sets screws to land on. Can you post an image of how you mounted the limit switch please.

Craig
You caught me out as I haven't installed the limit switches yet.:oops:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya, ok. does the mounting plate have a distinct bend to it?

As for lever and feed direction. Left is left and right is right. What does yours do?
Yes it does have a bend.
For me, toward me is right, away from me is left.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
This video shows the springs at about 6:15ish

This ones explains the shims at about 5:00 ish

I heard Davids PF and it sounds about the same as mine.
Welcome to the PF club.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ok now I understand when the mounting bracket is bent.

That's not your machine is it? I'm thinking a new limit switch mounting plate is in order.

As for the F/N/R lever orientation goes, there looks to be a screw holding the speed adjustment knob on and a set screw holding the direction lever on. I'm betting you can change the lever orientation if you want.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That's not your machine is it? I'm thinking a new limit switch mounting plate is in order.

As for the F/N/R lever there looks to be a screw holding the speed adjustment knob on and a set screw holding the direction lever on. I'm betting you can change the lever orientation if you want.
That's a screen shot from the first video Brent posted.
Thanks for the tip on the lever, I'll have a look as I find it a bit disorienting at the moment.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That's a screen shot from the first video Brent posted.
Thanks for the tip on the lever, I'll have a look as I find it a bit disorienting at the moment.

I compromised and mounted the Limit SW a little off center.

LimitSWMounted.JPG

I drilled and tapped one new mounting hole. I need to keep one of the original mounting hole accessible as it serves as a table lubrication port.

NOW having done this...… I would appear the switch triggers backwards:oops: To kill motion to the right you have to press the button on the right.:confused:

How does yours behave?

Craig