• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool POS Tap Guide

Tool

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My shop suffers from too much acquisition and too little space. I'm doing a major sort and purge this year - and selling off quite a few items.

It is best described as unorganized storage and unfinished projects!

The truth is out there! (I've seen his shop)

-- My shop is worse that you can imagine.
....... I have a pretty good imagination and I probably can rival any chaos...... :rolleyes:
I got to thinking that if you might be coming this way in August that I had best start cleaning up now if I am going to try and offer a little tour of the tiny space I call home. If I squint and crowd the door while bending over, I think I can see a sliver of floor, and I am pretty sure that I have located my work bench under the one bump........:eek:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I got to thinking that if you might be coming this way in August that I had best start cleaning up now if I am going to try and offer a little tour of the tiny space I call home.

I wouldn't bother if I were you. I think @Dabbler would be comfy in any shop he visits - whether meticulous, organized, chaos, or a bomb site. If you can call it home, he will fit right in.

My only advice would be to plan ahead. Start right now to make a list of all the things you want him to see and all the things you want to talk about.

In my case, even with a list, I failed miserably! My list only covered questions - not show and tell. Despite having 3 days together, I totally missed a shitload of things I wanted to show him. Things like my ongoing corrosion test, my electronics, my humidity control system, a few of my projects I forgot about, some welding, my tractors, etc etc......

On the other hand, we did manage to solve many of the world's problems and we laughed a lot too .....

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
In my case, even with a list, I failed miserably!
I failed completely also. I found my list when I got home. We didn't talk about anything on it!

As far as comfortable in a clean shop, the only thing I remember and use from a book I read as a teenager was:
"whatever state I'm in, therewith to be content".

... sometimes complacent, rather than content. That's how my shop got so bad!

@140 mower - If I gave you a tour of my shop as it was a week ago, I'd have to direct it from outside the man-door - there's only room for one to sidle around inside!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think I've mentioned before that for power tapping I now have collets that have square registration holes at the back to keep them from turning. Bought through AliExpress.

Doesn't that turn into a complexity nightmare John?

Taps come in a wide variety of square drive sizes and shaft diameters. To fit all taps, even accounting for collet size accommodation, wouldn't you need 2 or 3 of each square drive size to fit the associated tap shaft sizes? And how does that handle the little ones like a #4 screw where the tap shank isn't long enough to reach the back of the collet?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Doesn't that turn into a complexity nightmare John?

Taps come in a wide variety of square drive sizes and shaft diameters. To fit all taps, even accounting for collet size accommodation, wouldn't you need 2 or 3 of each square drive size to fit the associated tap shaft sizes? And how does that handle the little ones like a #4 screw where the tap shank isn't long enough to reach the back of the collet?
The short answer is yes. The longer answer is yes. OK. The really long answer is it fits many taps but not all. Have to still do those manual or if they are small likely a standard collet will hold them anyway. The torque that would cause a 4-40 to slip would likely snap it in the hole and then you need to use EDM to remove the tap fragment.

Edit: Fix Spelling Mistake.

Last edited: