• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool POS Tap Guide

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The reason for the self-centering feature on this handle is that there is a pilot for holding in a chuck. This keeps the tap centered under the pilot.

Yes, I saw that. But it doesn't telescope so I'd have to hang a weight on my quill handle and I've already mentioned my lousy neutral.

I do like the double lock. Gotta, wonder how they do that without allowing the user to shift the tap location. Nice looking unit too. I wonder how well it handles tiny little taps - you know, the ones that really matter!

You will be pleased to know that you are one of a VERY SMALL SELECT GROUP - who managed to convince me to watch a YouTube video. I generally hate YouTube, but I watched the entire ox tools review just for you!

I think it would be better if they put a bearing under the tap guide. At least that way you wouldn't need a fully functional neutral. I can live with the weight on the quill. Neutral is another matter. Those were the two main drivers for my own efforts.

But absolutely everything can improve. It would be nice to find or make something that incorporates a telescoping guide, handles to turn the tap, a universal tap holder, and a square drive system for socket tools.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So, screwing around last night before I had to make dinner, I took my ER11 5/8" straight shank collet chuck, chucked it in the 4-jaw, indicated dead nuts, faced the rear and cut a 60° center with a solid carbide cutter.

Then looking around to manually drive it, I found my 7/8" die handle has a 5/8" hole in the center, as well as 2 opposing screws. How convenient. So now in this set up I can use machine taps from #0 - #12.

Will I ever use it? Yes, to try it out a couple times, and then... we'll see.

What I do want, is to get a couple ER40 Rigid tap collets for power tapping anything larger than 1/4". Anything under that, I just use the drill chuck.

Oh, I guess I should make a tap follower, since this was the whole point of the original post:oops:

Attachments

• 20240522_100935.jpg
    20240522_100935.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240522_100824.jpg
    20240522_100824.jpg
    845.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240522_102013.jpg
    20240522_102013.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 3

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Starrett 174 Tap Wrench Arrived! It is so damn cute I could eat it! Again, Thanks Stel!

20240522_121120.jpg

I took my ER11 5/8" straight shank collet chuck, chucked it in the 4-jaw, indicated dead nuts, faced the rear and cut a 60° center with a solid carbide cutter.

All my collet holders are either R8 arbours or full lathe chucks or divider based. Never even considered one with a straight arbour. Does open a few doors.

Why did you need a center on the rear?

Then looking around to manually drive it, I found my 7/8" die handle has a 5/8" hole in the center, as well as 2 opposing screws. How convenient. So now in this set up I can use machine taps from #0 - #12.

That's a cool solution! Lucky you that it fit! I might have drilled for a bar without even looking at my die holders!

What I do want, is to get a couple ER40 Rigid tap collets for power tapping anything larger than 1/4". Anything under that, I just use the drill chuck.

I thought the whole subject of this thread was about a follower for SMALL taps! I suppose it can be used for bigger, but it's the small ones that really need it.

Bandit

Ultra Member
A small tap wrench and a depth gauge I made, 30?years ago. Yeah, the lighting could be better, taken with an old I-pad. Tap wrench less then 4inchs long, works for the smaller taps, not the wee stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 3

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a small one as well, which works ok, doesn't have the "v" in the body or plunger.

The 174 has the body V, but not the plunger V that the rest of the family has. The plunger is just a flat ended screw that pushes on the corner of a tap head to jamb the opposite corner into the body V.

Here is another family photo which includes the new baby......

20240522_130128.jpg

I'm really not as much of a tool collector as I am a user but looking at this set, I guess I really should see if I can find the big brother. They really are a superior tap wrench vs what else is out there.

kstrauss

At least my M&W holder has a V in both the body and the plunger. I've had it for decades but I'm unsure when it was made. Perhaps they have changed over the years.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The 174 has the body V, but not the plunger V that the rest of the family has. The plunger is just a flat ended screw that pushes on the corner of a tap head to jamb the opposite corner into the body V.

Here is another family photo which includes the new baby......

View attachment 48171

I'm really not as much of a tool collector as I am a user but looking at this set, I guess I really should see if I can find the big brother. They really are a superior tap wrench vs what else is out there.
C'mon man! Get with the program. Find that D!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If you can't find the Starrett #174 holder the Moore & Wright equivalent isn't bad.
View attachment 48166

Hey Ken, my hands are prolly bigger than yours but that M&W looks more the size of a Starrett 91A. The 174 is 3.5" long and the 91A is 5-1/2. Or maybe the M&W is someplace in between?

Regardless, the M&W does look like a quality Tap Wrench. It's hard to believe I have used the crap I had before for sooooo many years.

C'mon man! Get with the program. Find that D!!

Ya Ya Ya. I created a few searches. We will see. Do they make an E?

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I can't find any mention of an E size, other than some guy made a CAD file by increasing the dimensions of the D.
I know you want a bigger Starrett, but if you want big, Greenfield makes their #22. It's for taps from 1" - 2.5", 54" in length and only $300.00US.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I know you want a bigger Starrett, but if you want big, Greenfield makes their #22. It's for taps from 1" - 2.5", 54" in length and only $300.00US.

I only want a bigger Starrett if it's reasonable cost. I thread lots of really big stuff. It seems farm stuff is all medium or big. Nothing little. For stuff an inch or bigger I have only ever used a square drive socket (8pt) on a big ratchet wrench. Easy to align and really hard to break. In fact I don't remember ever breaking one.

ChazzC

Wait just a moment, do I detect a fraud ? Just look how clean and tidy those tools are and how spotless, uncluttered and organized that drawer is. If we were to see a zoomed out picture there would we see clutter and chaos ? I expect not. Or are we to believe that you are a closet (drawer, tool chest) neat freak ?:p
Yes, kind of goes against his posts about how clean my shop is.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wait just a moment, do I detect a fraud ? Just look how clean and tidy those tools are and how spotless, uncluttered and organized that drawer is. If we were to see a zoomed out picture there would we see clutter and chaos ? I expect not. Or are we to believe that you are a closet (drawer, tool chest) neat freak ?:p

As @Dabbler has said, he has been here. I am quite proud of my organized chaos. I'll have to take him at his word that his is better (ie more chaos than mine). That said, my space is pretty big by most standards. If I had to fit my stuff into a quarter of the space I'm pretty sure chaos wouldn't be a strong enough word. But it would still be well organized - at least in my own mind.

As for the drawer, the photo is well cropped to hide the surrounding area. Not because it's a mess but because every one of you likes to snoop! But ya, it is kinda chaotic in that particular area by most guys standards. That particular tool chest was new to me last fall. I posted back then about painting it. So what's in it is all a recent addition. If you look closely, you will see an old hacksaw blade in that drawer. It's there to help remove the drawers cuz they still don't work right.

That said, most of what is in drawers in my shop is usually fairly well organized. I self describe my shop as "organized chaos". That's not at all the same as disorganized chaos.

I don't like empty surfaces. Surfaces are very very precious and they should have stuff on them. The more the better.

Drawers and cabinets are rust traps - especially here in the Rust Belt. So I don't like stuff piled into them or touching each other. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just that I prefer otherwise. There are a few exceptions.

Anyways, that's the story there. Best to just ask those members who have been here, which isn't really very many. @Chicken lights, @Canadium, @TorontoBuilder, @Dabbler all come to mind.

jorogi

As @Dabbler has said, he has been here. I am quite proud of my organized chaos. I'll have to take him at his word that his is better (ie more chaos than mine). That said, my space is pretty big by most standards. If I had to fit my stuff into a quarter of the space I'm pretty sure chaos wouldn't be a strong enough word. But it would still be well organized - at least in my own mind.

As for the drawer, the photo is well cropped to hide the surrounding area. Not because it's a mess but because every one of you likes to snoop! But ya, it is kinda chaotic in that particular area by most guys standards. That particular tool chest was new to me last fall. I posted back then about painting it. So what's in it is all a recent addition. If you look closely, you

That said, most of what is in drawers in my shop is usually fairly well organized.
Well you have me beat, my 2 socket draws in my roller chest are immaculate but the rest are a mess. Luckily I only use a few sizes of wrench so as they are always thrown back in on top they're not too hard to find.