• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Peerless Shaper Basement Install

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Either cross bracing like this or plywood (or metal) panels to connect the uprights together.
BBBench2.JPG

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
1/2 would be sufficient. 1/4” would probably work but it’s rarely flat.
Whatever you have on hand really.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Do you mean your not convinced this workshop table is the correct choice for the shaper?

I don't think we will know if it's totally suitable until the machine is running is on it. It's the best option that suits me (has shelf) that I have found so far.

I think the next order of business is to get the shaper on the table, racking stiffeners can wait. I would want another shelf added anyways so perhaps the stiffeners would be the shelf support. Next up is planking the table top and arranging to get an engine hoist into the basement. Still need to liberate the on/off switch from original wood cabinet as well.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Sweet!!!! @Tom O 's 1 Ton chain fall made loading the shaper onto the stand easy peasy……..

OnTable.JPG

And I didn't pull the house down in the process:p

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Looks like this is a go......:)

RunUp.JPG

I just ran her up with a fairly long stroke at a pretty good clip and the stand is staying put. What ever motion I'm seeing appears to be originating from the casters.

Next up is to get it put back together and add some racking stiffeners to the stand.

Last edited:

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
@YYCHM would it be helpful to move the motor to below to reduce how top heavy it is? Is it stable that way now as well with the new cart?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@YYCHM would it be helpful to move the motor to below to reduce how top heavy it is? Is it stable that way now as well with the new cart?

Seems ok. The stand it was on was just as tall but only 10" wide. This stand is 18" wide. There is no perceived side rocking when the machine is running, so I'm feeling confident it's good enough. For now anyways.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member

I would think the motor becomes a balancing act keeping the center of 'G' well positioned on the stand while operating or moving it around. Just saying!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
As in a problem or a benefit?

Most definitely a huge plus where it sits. Shaper vibration at the business end is likely dampened somewhat by the weight of the motor as it sits. At least that's the way I view it.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Question for @francist ….

PFSelect.JPG

Should changing the direction of this gear pawl(?) change the table power feed direction from left to right or right to left? So far I have only been able to power feed left to right when viewed from the front.

francist

Super User
Question for @francist ….

View attachment 14347

Should changing the direction of this gear pawl(?) change the table power feed direction from left to right or right to left? So far I have only been able to power feed left to right when viewed from the front.
Correct. Mine is a little older but the same arrow thing — I lift and turn 90 degrees to engage the table feed. Depending on which way you turn the arrow to point will govern which direction the table moves (or should move). When the arrow is pointing either straight forward or straight backwards (towards your motor, say) the table should not be under power and you can advance the feed using the crank. When the arrow points left or right (as you’re staring at the end of the ram) it should be under feed. Did that make sense?

FYI - you need to make sure your table feed is set properly to coordinate with the ram stroke, it’s easy to get it backwards and it takes a bit to get your head around this sometimes. The table feed (step over, in shaper talk) needs to be timed to the stroke so that the table advances as the cutter is returning. You don’t want the table to be advancing as the ram is on the forward stroke. Easiest way I know is to run the ram slowly by hand and watch closely as your table advances in relation to the cutter. A dial indicator set against the side of the table can be your friend here to show when it moves.