• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Peerless Shaper Basement Install

Rotaxxx

Is that the original stand for the shaper? I cant imagine it would be, but I have heard weirder things too lol. If it is I would be leary of cutting it down, I am weird like that and like to keep stuff original! If its not cut cut cut lol.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Is that the original stand for the shaper? I cant imagine it would be, but I have heard weirder things too lol. If it is I would be leary of cutting it down, I am weird like that and like to keep stuff original! If its not cut cut cut lol.

I highly doubt it's original.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yes, 4” swivelling castor wheels, rated for 250# each, mounted onto 2x6s. Total height gain was 6.625”.

Could you please post an image, I totally don't recollect the 2X6 part. If it raised the cabinet 6" then no wonder I found it too high. I felt like I was looking up to the machine LOL.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is a picture of how I had the casters mounted to 2x6s and they in turn were mounted to the cabinet via the aluminum angle brackets.

Besides the need for mobility, the 2x6s gave me the chance to widen the stance of the cabinet to reduce the sideways tipping-over possibility.

82A78046-FEBF-4183-BC32-3017D077B14B.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Here is a picture of how I had the casters mounted to 2x6s and they in turn were mounted to the cabinet via the aluminum angle brackets.

Besides the need for mobility, the 2x6s gave me the chance to widen the stance of the cabinet to reduce the sideways tipping-over possibility.

View attachment 14238

That's what I envisioned when I said out riggers. Man my brain must have been somewhere else when I took that off not to remember the 2X6's.

This wood cabinet has me scratching my head. How can something made of wood, essentially hollow (sort of), 10" wide X 39" long X 36" high weigh in at 140lbso_O

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think I'll go have a look at this tomorrow.....

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hu...h-with-solid-wood-top-in-all-black/1001586701

It's the perfect size for my niche, rated for 1500#, is on castors, and has storage below (which I desperately need). I'd prefer shelves rather than drawers but....

I'm thinking this is not the project to skimp on. Jury rigging the wood cabinet could be iffy and I'm convinced now my tool stand isn't up to the task.

A bench failure would be a real PITA...

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I've got the 9 drawer version under my SM9" and it has worked out very well. You will love the storage for tooling, everything can be right at you finger tips.
You could quite easily replace a couple of drawers with plywood shelves and use the drawer slides as well The slides save having to crawl inside the cabinet for stuff at the back.
The only thing I didn't like was the wheels are mounted to the thin sheet metal bottom, that introduced a lot of flex and made the cabinet a bit wobbly. Not dangerously wobbly just annoyingly (for me) wobbly. I made a new base frame with 1.5 x 3 tubing and that made a big difference. I drilled and tapped new holes to mount the wheels and the tubing also let me mount leveling feet.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I found a picture of what appears to be a stand for your machine.

Attachments

• Peerless_Stand.jpg
    Peerless_Stand.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 22

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I'm thinking this is not the project to skimp on. Jury rigging the wood cabinet could be iffy and I'm convinced now my tool stand isn't up to the task.

A bench failure would be a real PITA...

for sure. If you're idea hunting, have you welding equipment? Steel is relative cheap and rather strong. You could also use wheels for moving - put two on back and use something like this (https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/524/52423_2000x2000.jpg) on the front ....but make so it has a mating pin and plate so it stays put when moving it

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yes, it is. That’s my stand on the sidewalk when I brought home the machine. :)

21910-d93461854c96c3db94ef62711761506c.jpg

Sweet arrangement. The motor is buried in the stand, and Frank has belted the ram strokes per min down even further and added a front dashboard to house a strokes per minute indicator and clutch lever.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
YYC - did you get to HD and have a look at the cabinet?

Ya, wasn't all that impressed. Seemed a little wobbly but that may have been the floor? That wobble will probably diminish significantly once you punk a 200+ lb machine on it. They had a $600 version there and you could really tell the difference. Mind you it weighted 3 times as much empty.

Don't know what to do now. Have something fabricated perhaps?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Ya, wasn't all that impressed. Seemed a little wobbly but that may have been the floor? That wobble will probably diminish significantly once you punk a 200+ lb machine on it. They had a $600 version there and you could really tell the difference. Mind you it weighted 3 times as much empty.

Don't know what to do now. Have something fabricated perhaps?

Yes Craig have the stand fabricated from steel to your liking with locking castors, you won't regret doing that.

Last edited:

francist

Super User
I was wondering if it was yours. How is it working out for you?
It’s working well. When I first got it (2014 ish) I had no milling capabilities so it was my go-to machine for lots of things. I have since acquired a small miller and they are usually quicker for generic operations so the shaper doesn’t get used as much anymore. But, I still turn to it for large area surfacing and stuff like that. It’s also really nice for indexing operations like dial graduations, etc. Cutters are cheap too, and they last a long time.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I made a new base frame with 1.5 x 3 tubing and that made a big difference. I drilled and tapped new holes to mount the wheels and the tubing also let me mount leveling feet.

Can you explain this in more detail please? I can't picture what 1.5 X 3 tubing is. How does the tubing interface to the cabinet?

Thanks,

Craig

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The tubing is 1.5 inches high by 3 inches wide (see picture)
I turned the cabinet upside down and cut/welded the tubing into a rectangular frame to fit inside the edges of the cabinet. Then drilled and tapped the holes to mount the 3" cast wheels and added 1.250 tubing cross bars to mount the leveling legs. The frame and wheels added extra cost but for me it was worth it.

Attachments

• Base_tubing.JPG
    Base_tubing.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Base_legs.JPG
    Base_legs.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 15