Peerless Shaper Basement Install

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well.... using PA prices for channel and angle which are probably outrageous a 40" long X 20" wide X 30" high stand with one shelf could be fabricated for less than $200. Just not sure bolting it together would suffice. Also, attaching casters to the ends of c-channel has me scratching my head.

I got a mig welder just for making these kinds of projects it's too bad I don't trust my welds. Maybe bolt it together and attempt to weld the seams?

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
193C02D3-4C4C-4E65-8BD1-76F9DE977FBC.jpeg 79C65AC4-DDD2-40DB-BE64-392F274AD37E.jpeg Thats one design and eliminates needing to make a bracket for casters. If you don’t trust your welds you could make an outside gusset and add a couple bolts at each union

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Well.... using PA prices for channel and angle which are probably outrageous a 40" long X 20" wide X 30" high stand with one shelf could be fabricated for less than $200. Just not sure bolting it together would suffice. Also, attaching casters to the ends of c-channel has me scratching my head.

I got a mig welder just for making these kinds of projects it's too bad I don't trust my welds. Maybe bolt it together and attempt to weld the seams?

Craig there are many members in the Calgary area some being very good welders, surly one of them would step forward and help out.

If members in Ontario can do it so can others else ware. Come on guys step up to the plate, offer a hand to a fellow member and a good one at that.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Craig there are many members in the Calgary area some being very good welders, surly one of them would step forward and help out.

If members in Ontario can do it so can others else ware. Come on guys step up to the plate, offer a hand to a fellow member and a good one at that.

Thanks Dusty...…. Still examining options at this point.

This might be the solution for using the bench that the shaper was on.

https://www.banggood.com/4-Pcs-Set-...mmds=detail-left-hotproducts&cur_warehouse=CN

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member

This might be the solution for using the bench that the shaper was on.

https://www.banggood.com/4-Pcs-Set-...mmds=detail-left-hotproducts&cur_warehouse=CN

For what its worth, you will want to use lag bolts to hold those babies on to carry the shaper weight and movement. Most reliable and safest place to fasten locking castors is from the bottom. Just saying!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Pricey beasties. I'm convinced you can do much better with a PA sale item using bottom locking castors with welded stand on top. With out riggers if you must.

Ya, I'm leaning towards fabricating something. Will get the shelves I need and width for stability and the stand really doesn't need to be all that tall. That 10" wide bench it was on makes me kind of nervous, it would need out riggers for sure.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@francist What are the dimensions of your shaper stand?

Smart move Craig, start at the beginning using original measurements then like you say decide on out riggers or not. Watch PA sales for locking castors to carry the weight. I'm sure a skilled welder member will step forward and help. Perhaps there's some decent size square tubing out there looking for a new home. Hang in there, good luck with this project!

Last edited:

francist

Super User
Thought that might be coming ;)
The chip pan is essentially 20” x 36” (ok, 20.5 x 35.5) and it’s roughly an inch deep, so the actual base of the shaper would be close to 35” from the floor (if I measure from floor to top the chip pan lip it’s 36” even)
The base is cast aluminum ends and then a sheet metal back panel in between. I added the shorter front dash panel for instrumentation and controls. As you might see in the pics, the actual contact points on the floor are in from the two edges a bit, so the actual four-point contact on the floor is 12” wide by 36” long centre to centre on the mounting holes in the feet.

6E8D8466-B4CC-4652-A2BE-BDA70B1AEF2D.jpeg 44ADA5FA-FF56-4ACC-92E9-146BD14EA3DE.jpeg BBCC5B96-D6A8-4A28-A5A3-10F02E11C2AF.jpeg

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
The chip pan is essentially 20” x 36” (ok, 20.5 x 35.5) and it’s roughly an inch deep, so the actual base of the shaper would be close to 35” from the floor (if I measure from floor to top the chip pan lip it’s 36” even)
The base is cast aluminum ends and then a sheet metal back panel in between. I added the shorter front dash panel for instrumentation and controls. As you might see in the pics, the actual contact points on the floor are in from the two edges a bit, so the actual four-point contact on the floor is 12” wide by 36” long centre to centre on the mounting holes in the feet.

View attachment 14281View attachment 14282View attachment 14283

Right on francist your photos and measurements make sense. Like the pattern of your floor mats did your wife choose them. LOL

francist

Super User
Here’s a better shot of the mounting pads. They’re part of the end castings but instead of bolts through the holes I turned ABS levelling pads to go underneath.

BC2E0B3A-5675-47F9-85C7-5DA00295971C.jpeg 26FBFEE7-87C0-4A25-9F6D-66CB2AE2DA56.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

That's interesting... narrower and taller than I thought it would be.

francist

Super User
That's interesting... narrower and taller than I thought it would be.
Perhaps, but keep in mind it is a fairly small machine and if it sits any lower a person would always be hunched over trying to set things up. You can do your own math, but with a 35” tall stand it puts the cranks at just above elbow height and let’s you sight along the top of a workpiece really nicely too.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Craig i'm thinking you need to move to a bigger shop/house. Something with a large garage would be nice, lots of room for new toys and large tool supports.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yesterday I spotted this....

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/iron-man-universal-workshop-table.html

Went over to BB this morning to have a look and was impressed. It's pretty beefy, and has HD castors that lock the wheels from turning as well as swivelling.

Then I went back to HD while I was thinking it over to look at the Husky tool chest a second time. At HD I realized the Husky wouldn't work for me. It has fixed castors on the wrong end to swing it in and out of it's niche and it wasn't obvious if the castors could be swapped end for end.

So went back to BB and picked up the Iron Man.

BBBench1.JPG

Here it is tucked in it's niche.

BBBench2.JPG

And here it is swung out for action.

It's only 36" long, so I may plank it out to 39" before spotting the shaper on it. Besides who wants all those holes exposed for thing to drop through.

Getting there...….

Last edited: