• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Need a Dro what one to get

kylemp

I'm not positive but when researching dros for myself I seem to remember 200 offsets available was a common number on several dros but don't take that as gospel truth.
I believe you're about right from previous ones I've had. Using it on a lathe pretty much requires the offsets, unless you want to touch off every time..

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have a Sony and a Mitutoyo DRO. Now that I'm retired and on a very limited income, I am looking offshore for my next DRO. It would take me 15 years to afford another Japanese DRO (which I love), but I can use an Asian one right away.

I'm not fond of the choice, but 300$ versus 3600$ is the bottom line.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I have a Sony and a Mitutoyo DRO. Now that I'm retired and on a very limited income, I am looking offshore for my next DRO. It would take me 15 years to afford another Japanese DRO (which I love), but I can use an Asian one right away.

I'm not fond of the choice, but 300$ versus 3600$ is the bottom line.
I’m stubborn enough I’d buy the $3600 one

Just because

Dabbler

ersatz engineer

I wish I could. It'd be the Mitutoyo hands down. My Mit DRO is 20 years old, and going strong. The Sony is 35 years old, but I would pass on their recent offerings. Too expensive, few features, and too much proprietary nonsense,

trlvn

Ultra Member

Just because
I should stay out of this, but...

Why is buying a Japanese DRO OK but not one made in China?

Just to muddy the water further, almost any moderately complex product incorporates materials from all over the world. The DRO's plastic case is made from petro-chemical products. Did they come from the Middle East, North America (where?) or some other oil field? The DRO contains computerized circuits which are made from some rare-earth metals. Did they come from Africa, Russia, or somewhere else? What about the machines and processes used to manufacture the DRO. Who made them? Where did their components come from?

Any product we buy, our money goes to a whole host of places. And they buy products designed or made elsewhere so the money just goes round and round.

There is no such thing as a self-relient local economy anymore. Cheap transportation (mostly oil powered) means that it matters little where the materials come from or where the labour is located. When oil runs out, there will be staggering changes.

[/Climbing down off the soap box...]

Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@trlvn you are absolutely right on all accounts.... but here's why the Japanese DROS are worth far more. The Chinese and Indonesian DROs are designed, tested and certified. Then they make 10,000 of them. you are very fortunate if yours was the 1 in 100 that they test for functionality (beyond the display lighting). Even then, they are not tested for accuracy in any quantity.

-- that being said, they seem to be quite accurate.

The Mitutoyo DROs are individually tested and certified, not only for accuracy but for other quadrature and cumulative counting errors, and have linearity and other non linear compensation built in (not to mention temperature compensation). If I buy a Mit .0002 DRO, it will be good to 2 tenths per foot, no matter how long the scales are, over a range of temperatures, over the life of the product. There is better quality control on the sensors, PC boards and components. That is what you pay the extra 3 grand for. In an industrial setting these factors fully outweight the difference in cost.

If I could spare the 4 grand there'd be no contest. :)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I ordered my set up from aliexpress (also first time dealing with them) on June 7th and the 10 days later they said it shipped although I still can't seem to find the item in tracking. I imagine if I get it by mid July ill be doing good. I chose DHL for delivery which cost about$27 on top. Waiting, waiting.....

Let us know when you get it. I'm not ordering mine until I see that you actually received yours and the actual delivery time is. The first one I got took about 10 days from ordering it to receiving it. What's the DHL tracking # if you don't mind sharing.

Craig

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Let us know when you get it. I'm not ordering mine until I see that you actually received yours and the actual delivery time is. The first one I got took about 10 days from ordering it to receiving it. What's the DHL tracking # if you don't mind sharing.

Craig
So far I am not impressed with the shipping. I've been told it been shipped twice but don't believe it has been out the door once yet. I paid shipping and at the time said delivery 7-14 days ( I think) that was 22 days ago. I let you know how I make out with it. And no I don't care to share the tracking number.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So far I am not impressed with the shipping. I've been told it been shipped twice but don't believe it has been out the door once yet. I paid shipping and at the time said delivery 7-14 days ( I think) that was 22 days ago. I let you know how I make out with it. And no I don't care to share the tracking number.

No worries about the tracking number. Mine shipped via DHL and was pretty straight forward and easy to track. That was well over a year ago.

Did you order from these guys? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000006632582.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.447d4c4dNurQqm

Last edited:

thriller007

I ordered mine from the seller “yqlilgen official store” originally they say that if it doesn’t get shipped in 10 days I will automatically get a refund. Well it is now down to the last day so we will see what happens by tomorrow.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ordered mine from the seller “yqlilgen official store” originally they say that if it doesn’t get shipped in 10 days I will automatically get a refund. Well it is now down to the last day so we will see what happens by tomorrow.
Well if my experience with aliexpress is any indication... you will get a notification in the last hours saying that it has shipped but then you won't be able to see it in any courier system. I'm not convinced they ship when they say they ship.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
These are screen shots of the delivery history for my DRO from the vendor. I placed the order at 22:06 Feb 26, 2020.
It showed as shipped on March 4.
I was also able to see it on the DHL system.
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.54.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.55.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.55.18 AM.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yup, that's the same thing I experienced. Was really impressed with how quick and smooth that purchase went.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
These are screen shots of the delivery history for my DRO from the vendor. I placed the order at 22:06 Feb 26, 2020.
It showed as shipped on March 4.
I was also able to see it on the DHL system.
View attachment 9829
View attachment 9830
View attachment 9831
Interesting cuz mine sure is not showing up like that. I got a notification on day 10 that it shipped and I still can't find anything in dhl showing it. The outfit said they reshipped but I haven't recieved any new tracking number yet either.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting cuz mine sure is not showing up like that. I got a notification on day 10 that it shipped and I still can't find anything in dhl showing it. The outfit said they reshipped but I haven't recieved any new tracking number yet either.
For what it's worth those screen shots are from my account on the Alibaba site.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My AliExpress tracking info from Apr 2019 is no longer available, but looked very much like David's.

thriller007

On mine they gave me a new tracking number. When I put it into the system it says on the DHL site that the shipping information has been received. It has been in that state for 3 days now so I would say it has not been shipped yet.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
On mine they gave me a new tracking number. When I put it into the system it says on the DHL site that the shipping information has been received. It has been in that state for 3 days now so I would say it has not been shipped yet.

At least the tracking number provided is recognized by DHL tracking that's a good sign.

Craig

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Mine still doesn't register on the dhl site and aliexpress says they will ship me another but wants me to cancel the dispute first. Its like they are holding my item hostage.