• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Need a Dro what one to get

thriller007

Have a Craftex Cx-601 that has 14” travel on the Z 11.5” in either direction on the X and 8.5” on the Y.
What inexpensive dro do you recommend and what are the correct scales? Also if it gets orders from China then will it make it here?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I got the ones that are on the CX605 from AliExpress and they shipped quick but that was before this Covid crisis.

I'll be looking to get a set for RF30 from the same outfit when I'm at that point. I'll see if I can get you a link. The choices available will make your head spin.

Craig

These guys https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848258811.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.913f21f2qDpoJ9&algo_pvid=4642e8e2-5861-49cd-b9ab-13cec99d97e5&algo_expid=4642e8e2-5861-49cd-b9ab-13cec99d97e5-36&btsid=0ab6f82215914577564405393e43b0&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

It was a really quick and easy purchase. No regrets.

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I did a quick look on aliexpress. The one I saw had free shipping through DHL or UPS. I‘d avoid UPS!
Check with DHL on what to expect. Everything coming by ordinary mail doesn’t seem to be moving.
Definitely get 3 axis.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ha ha I was just researching the same for my new mill also and was going to post the same question. The info so far offered above has been helpful. I'm pleasantly surprised how cheap (under $300) a full 3 axis system can cost. Is there any downside to the lcd screen...don't they eventually burn in/out after many years? I know nothing last for ever and maybe I'm not being reasonable.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ha ha I was just researching the same for my new mill also and was going to post the same question. The info so far offered above has been helpful. I'm pleasantly surprised how cheap (under $300) a full 3 axis system can cost. Is there any downside to the lcd screen...don't they eventually burn in/out after many years? I know nothing last for ever and maybe I'm not being reasonable.

I’ve had mine on for hours on end and can’t detect any burn in. There’s a button on the front that turns off the display but maintains the readings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Has anyone here installed a dro on a 6x26 mill? I would be interested in seeing pictures of the installation.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
aliexpress - if you get UPS sign up for border bee service so you don't pay huge import fees.

There is no reason I can think of getting a US made or expensive DRO even for bigger machines or more professional setup. Maybe it matters for accuracy of sub 1 tenth or something but definitely not for BP style mill application. Chinese stuff works great and DRO has many functions.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
aliexpress - if you get UPS sign up for border bee service so you don't pay huge import fees.

There is no reason I can think of getting a US made or expensive DRO even for bigger machines or more professional setup. Maybe it matters for accuracy of sub 1 tenth or something but definitely not for BP style mill application. Chinese stuff works great and DRO has many functions.

I didn’t pay any fees when I bought my DRO from AliExpress.

thriller007

What machine did you get?

thriller007

Have a Craftex Cx-601 that has 14” travel on the Z 11.5” in either direction on the X and 8.5” on the Y.
What inexpensive dro do you recommend and what are the correct scales? Also if it gets orders from China then will it make it here?

I guess I need clarification on what DRO lengths I have to order for my machine. Might as well do @YYCHobbyMachinist machine as well unless he already knows. When they have the length listed is that how much travel or is that total length including the ends?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Boy that machine of yours has a lot of travel. Something to be aware of is that you might loose a scales width of Y-axis travel. I lost a little on the CX605. The scale bumps into the column before full Y can be achieved.

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Man I hate navigating AliExpress. Too many choices and by the time you have something in your cart your not sure what you ended up selecting.

@David_R8 Why the LCD one? How is it easier to navigate?

Craig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Man I hate navigating AliExpress. Too many choices and by the time you have something in your cart your not sure what you ended up selecting.

@David_R8 Why the LCD one? How is it easier to navigate?

Craig

The display when you’re programming bolt circles, linear hole, arcs or plane is just so easy to navigate.

f166b41bf9905d0032b5ac68f87f8ef4.jpg

Here you move between the fields using the four arrows just visible on the right side. Below I programmed four holes in a quarter circle on 4” radius. That took 15 seconds or so.
d56e906c3206289e629c9feec49e150f.jpg

bda7c59be79351a998716b415fbf5689.jpg

530800180618ab74bb2d5d05c3652f3c.jpg

02463203c1d126fb8268310d3c96128d.jpg

95833ed9cd44468e6aa104937821dc33.jpg

The F1, F2, F3 etc buttons correspond to the data entry fields on the screen or are used to select different values such as which plane on the incline plane program. F2 selects the XY, F3 selects XZ etc.

I just really prefer the graphical layout plus the numbers are nice and easy to read.
The red button in the lower right turns off the display but doesn’t shut off the unit.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well I may have to go that way. Overhead light or light behind the operator doesn't wash the screen out? My recollection of LCD was that some conditions washed out the display.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well I may have to go that way. Overhead light or light behind the operator doesn't wash the screen out? My recollection of LCD was that some conditions washed out the display.

The screen is very bright with good contrast.
I’m very happy with the system. My X-axis scale was too long (because I measured wrong...) and I cut it using my horizontal bandsaw. Just put it in and cut it. No fuss. The scale didn’t shatter, I needed to make some clearance for the end cap to fit back on so I just nibbled the glass away with needle nose pliers.
Putting the end cap back on was a trick though as I had to drill and tap for some teeny holes. No idea what size they were, I just picked a tap that was close. I broke it off of course so I ended up using epoxy to hold the cap on. Works fine.