• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Need a Dro what one to get

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ordered my set up from aliexpress (also first time dealing with them) on June 7th and the 10 days later they said it shipped although I still can't seem to find the item in tracking. I imagine if I get it by mid July ill be doing good. I chose DHL for delivery which cost about$27 on top. Waiting, waiting.....

thriller007

I ordered my set up from aliexpress (also first time dealing with them) on June 7th and the 10 days later they said it shipped although I still can't seem to find the item in tracking. I imagine if I get it by mid July ill be doing good. I chose DHL for delivery which cost about$27 on top. Waiting, waiting.....
Was it a DRO that you ordered? That is what I ordered. One just like @David_R8 had bought. Keep us updated if you see anything.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'll be interested to see your collective installs!

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I’m not sure why anyone is buying anything from China, honestly
Some stuff it’s unavoidable but to directly/knowingly feed their economy is just wrong

My opinion

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’m not sure why anyone is buying anything from China, honestly
Some stuff it’s unavoidable but to directly/knowingly feed their economy is just wrong

My opinion

With MOST stuff its unavoidable and with some stuff that is available in N America it is often so terrifically overpriced. Where can I buy an affordable new lathe or milling machine or tooling if not from China?

Chicken lights

With MOST stuff its unavoidable and with some stuff that is available in N America it is often so terrifically overpriced. Where can I buy an affordable new lathe or milling machine or tooling if not from China?
Personally, I’m willing to pay more for items made in North America. Ratchet binders were $130 each, made in the USA. $20-30 each from China. Chain is $2-3 foot from the USA, it’s like $0.50 a foot from China. Chain hooks are $20-30 from the USA, $5-10 from China

I’ve broken the cheap Chinese crap before and don’t wish to trust my livelihood to junk nor do I wish to support that country’s economy more then need be

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Personally, I’m willing to pay more for items made in North America. Ratchet binders were $130 each, made in the USA. $20-30 each from China. Chain is $2-3 foot from the USA, it’s like $0.50 a foot from China. Chain hooks are $20-30 from the USA, $5-10 from China

I’ve broken the cheap Chinese crap before and don’t wish to trust my livelihood to junk nor do I wish to support that country’s economy more then need be
Yes thats nice for those who can afford to pay 5 times the price for North American made stuff especially for hobby related items, however many of us cannot and our livelihoods don't depend on the stuff. Also the money I save from buying stuff from China can be spent on my family and in the local economy in other ways that I may choose.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When it comes to DRO's your options are probably limited when it comes to 'made in NAm'. There is Shooting Star (Canadian). I used that for a few years on my RF-45. Its ok. Pros & cons mostly on the encoders, its kind of a gear rack principle. Not exactly cheap. http://www.star-techno.com/index.htm

USA made - maybe once upon a time or a CNC related DRO interface which is not really hobby niche.
Maybe Fagor but doubtful, probably distribution vs manufactured in...
https://www.kbctools.com/products/search/dro?v=j&facet=[["vend_name","vend_name","FAGOR"]]

Mitutoyo is Japanese = excellent but big bucks.
https://www.kbctools.com/products/search/?Keyword=mitutoyo dro

Newall is UK = excellent but big bucks.
https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/1-541N-300L1460

I'm no DRO expert but every other system I have encountered and certainly in hobby/small shop class is Asian. Just what flavor - Taiwan, Korea, China, blend....

Tom O

Ultra Member
There is a difference between home / personal use and professional quality though.
Made in America or assembled in America.

Chicken lights

Yes thats nice for those who can afford to pay 5 times the price for North American made stuff especially for hobby related items, however many of us cannot and our livelihoods don't depend on the stuff. Also the money I save from buying stuff from China can be spent on my family and in the local economy in other ways that I may choose.
I see your point

trlvn

Ultra Member
When it comes to DRO's your options are probably limited when it comes to 'made in NAm'. There is Shooting Star (Canadian). I used that for a few years on my RF-45. Its ok. Pros & cons mostly on the encoders, its kind of a gear rack principle. Not exactly cheap. http://www.star-techno.com/index.htm

Just to add, when I got my mill/drill last year, one of the rods was bent and kinked. Even though it was 10 years old, Shooting Star was able to supply a replacement ($100 +/-) from in-stock parts. For a while I thought I was going to have to completely replace the DRO so being able to repair it was a win.

Craig

kylemp

This is the unit that I installed on my RF clone.
I chose the YH800 primarily because of the LCD display which doesn't require you to navigate through numeric menus.
I am very happy with it and the vendor was very responsive. It shipped via DHL. As John said, avoid UPS like the plague.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000006632582.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.447d4c4dNurQqm
Funny, I'm about to order at least 3 dro sets soon and I'm glad this came up beforehand.. I don't know that you use it but do you know how many tool offsets it can store?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Funny, I'm about to order at least 3 dro sets soon and I'm glad this came up beforehand.. I don't know that you use it but do you know how many tool offsets it can store?
Let me check my manual for the number of offsets.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Frustrating that I cannot find a manual for it online in pdf. It'd be nice to know if the scales have an index as well.
I'll see if I can scan mine later.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not positive but when researching dros for myself I seem to remember 200 offsets available was a common number on several dros but don't take that as gospel truth.