• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Let's Get This Started - Tool Test Tuesday

Tool
At US$120, it's not cheap; and it probably has the same issue as I have with my US$13 Fosmon - needs to be re-paired periodically, even if the power hasn't been out:

View attachment 46789

UPDATE: After making this post, I decided to reach out to the Amazon Seller for the Fosmon unit I purchased in March of 2019 (5 years ago) to ask about a replacement since they have a "Limited Lifetime Warranty:" I sent my message via Amazon at 9:42am, received a reply at 10:18am asking for my contact info so they can send a replacement; I didn't see their message until 10:35am, sent them my info at 10:38am and just received (10:45am) their acknowledge meant that a replacement will be on it's way. Granted it's a one-time replacement, but I'm definitely impressed: although Milwaukee has a 3-year warranty on their switch, and I could buy (US$18) a 2-year HD warranty to take it to 5 years total, after 5 years & one month I'd be out of luck.

Wyze power adapter. $40. control from your phone. needs wifi.

Shhhhh......

Don't say stuff like that out loud! If he reads that, it could go to his head, and it will get so big he will start to think he actually IS some guy!

I am SomeGuy lol always have been, always will be!

Honestly though, once in a while my videos get picked up and shared by places you'd never expect...Haynes manuals for instance once shared on their socials my garage tour video, such a random thing. Also have worked with channels like Torque Test Channel and FunkFPV who have shared my stuff. It's kind of exciting when it happens :)

At US$120, it's not cheap; and it probably has the same issue as I have with my US$13 Fosmon - needs to be re-paired periodically, even if the power hasn't been out:

View attachment 46789

UPDATE: After making this post, I decided to reach out to the Amazon Seller for the Fosmon unit I purchased in March of 2019 (5 years ago) to ask about a replacement since they have a "Limited Lifetime Warranty:" I sent my message via Amazon at 9:42am, received a reply at 10:18am asking for my contact info so they can send a replacement; I didn't see their message until 10:35am, sent them my info at 10:38am and just received (10:45am) their acknowledge meant that a replacement will be on it's way. Granted it's a one-time replacement, but I'm definitely impressed: although Milwaukee has a 3-year warranty on their switch, and I could buy (US$18) a 2-year HD warranty to take it to 5 years total, after 5 years & one month I'd be out of luck.
UPDATE: I got the replacement Receiver Monday. It paired quickly and so far is working flawlessly. It does lose pairing if the power is out, but that's to be expected.

Just got some Knipex Raptors to complete their full line up of channellock style pliers, the Cobras, Raptors, Alligators, and Hawks lol well, no, Pliers Wrench but I want them to have a new cool name too :) Anyway, just compared them if you ever wondered the differences:

New video up, a little off the tool side of things, but still interesting...I do a bit of live sound work, so I've been putting together a Pelican case with all the odds and ends I might need on a gig. Would love to hear any ideas you guys might have too about what to add!

I am the president of a small mining company and we are trying to get up and running after a forest fire burned us out last year. So somebody decided in their wisdom that we would no longer need a welder and stole the welder and leads. I had to come up with a welder fast and this weekend it happened. The 'help us' call.
I had purchased a cheap welder for 200 bucks, based on this review, just to get us by til we could get a real welding machine. I just had this welder delivered by Amazon yesterday and got the call this morning. I told them I would crack open the box and test it and send it to them or send it back.
So after I stopped laughing at it, I pulled the plug out through the plastic and plugged in and turned it on. I used my own leads as I was sure I would ship it back.
I have to say, for something that weighs less than a six pack of beer, it's a keeper. Good OCV, 78 volts, so it lights a 1/8" 7018 very well. I found I had to turn up the amperage higher than on my rig, I run 1/8" at 105 amps and this is at 125. I ran beads using my own settings and they were good, slag peeled on its own, and then I tried out their SYN setting, it's sort of a setting for the don't know crowd, and tried it out. It seemed to dig a little deeper but the bead was smooth and the slag peeled, which means there was no undercutting. You can still turn up the power more after the machine has set the SYN settings. I didn't try any 5/32 rod, I was in a hurry, as I was expecting to run to the airport with it, but no body would open for freight on the destination end. They are all off celebrating a country limping and hopping along like Terry Fox.:rolleyes:
So, if you risk the $200 on Amazon, I would say you will not be disappointed, this is a nice little unit with a 60% duty cycle, and way better than your dads buzz box.
Negatives are that you don't have arc force and hot start settings that I could find. I did not read the manual due to the panic situation, but I know some of the cheesier units this type do have these settings. The machine sets them for you and seems to do ok. Maybe I'm old, but I like to fine tune for what I'm doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am the president of a small mining company and we are trying to get up and running after a forest fire burned us out last year. So somebody decided in their wisdom that we would no longer need a welder and stole the welder and leads. I had to come up with a welder fast and this weekend it happened. The 'help us' call.
I had purchased a cheap Chink welder for 200 bucks, based on this review, just to get us by til we could get a real welding machine. I just had this welder delivered by Amazon yesterday and got the call this morning. I told them I would crack open the box and test it and send it to them or send it back.
So after I stopped laughing at it, I pulled the plug out through the plastic and plugged in and turned it on. I used my own leads as I was sure I would ship it back.
I have to say, for something that weighs less than a six pack of beer, it's a keeper. Good OCV, 78 volts, so it lights a 1/8" 7018 very well. I found I had to turn up the amperage higher than on my rig, I run 1/8" at 105 amps and this is at 125. I ran beads using my own settings and they were good, slag peeled on its own, and then I tried out their SYN setting, it's sort of a setting for the don't know crowd, and tried it out. It seemed to dig a little deeper but the bead was smooth and the slag peeled, which means there was no undercutting. You can still turn up the power more after the machine has set the SYN settings. I didn't try any 5/32 rod, I was in a hurry, as I was expecting to run to the airport with it, but no body would open for freight on the destination end. They are all off celebrating a country limping and hopping along like Terry Fox.:rolleyes:
So, if you risk the $200 on Amazon, I would say you will not be disappointed, this is a nice little unit with a 60% duty cycle, and way better than your dads buzz box.
Negatives are that you don't have arc force and hot start settings that I could find. I did not read the manual due to the panic situation, but I know some of the cheesier units this type do have these settings. The machine sets them for you and seems to do ok. Maybe I'm old, but I like to fine tune for what I'm doing.
Interesting reading about the welder but I want to know more about the mining. What do you mine? And where? And how do you process the ore? I do IT consulting at a major mining company and the processing plants are a huge endeavour to strip the valuable metal from the rock. Combing bits of coal or metal off of grains of sand. I’m interested in how a small mine handles that.

Last edited:
It is a small rich gold mine, north of Yellowknife. It is accessed by float plane. I operated there in 1991-1994 and at that point gold had fallen to $280 an ounce. We closed and removed everything. A few years ago I was approached and asked, Would you like to get the place operating again? Hell yeah.
Things have changed and it has been a dogfight to get through the regulatory mess. We got established, set up a 20 man camp, fuel, power generation, etc, got the mining machinery on site and started to remove ice and enlarge the decline. We closed for the season as we have always operated during the May to October times. Last year we had a forest fire and the camp was destroyed and some equipment and supplies burned. We are attempting to continue development, and now have a tent camps set up.

I realized I never answered you properly. We had a 100ton per day mill and the rock was crushed to 3/8" and ground to 150 mesh and the separated by gravity using a jig and then a shaker table to separate the gold from iron, and waste rock. Gold is relatively easy to separate this way due to the huge difference in specific gravity between it and waste rock.

It is a small rich gold mine, north of Yellowknife. It is accessed by float plane. I operated there in 1991-1994 and at that point gold had fallen to $280 an ounce. We closed and removed everything. A few years ago I was approached and asked, Would you like to get the place operating again? Hell yeah.
Things have changed and it has been a dogfight to get through the regulatory mess. We got established, set up a 20 man camp, fuel, power generation, etc, got the mining machinery on site and started to remove ice and enlarge the decline. We closed for the season as we have always operated during the May to October times. Last year we had a forest fire and the camp was destroyed and some equipment and supplies burned. We are attempting to continue development, and now have a tent camps set up.

Sounds really interesting and a different world than my daily grind - don't be shy with the stories and photos, bet I'm not the only one who would find it interesting

Sounds really interesting and a different world than my daily grind - don't be shy with the stories and photos, bet I'm not the only one who would find it interesting
I'd like to, but every picture I try to post comes out "file to large to process"

I'd like to, but every picture I try to post comes out "file to large to process"

The server has a 2Mb limit. The server is not under our control. But 2Mb is very generous for online photos. Just downsize them before uploading and they will process just fine. The latest photo app on Android makes this easy. Apps are available for those with older Androids.
PC users can use a program like Irfan View.

Supposedly it's easy on Apples, but I can't speak to that. It's prolly worth a few posts in the How To section.

Something is wrong with the server processing as this file size limit problems comes and goes. It gets fixed when @Jwest7788 Josh works on it again, it gets worse when we have server outages and somehow it does not come back to life correctly. I think the image rotation problem is handled by the same software process on the server so I'm not sure why rotation seems ok but file size is not. I'll post a screen shot here on how to easily adjust the size on iPhones when uploading.

On mac you can right click on an image file to pick Quick action -> Convert image -> pick large and file size goes from 2.5MB to .27MB.

Mac Instructions to reduce file size
1720383124029.png

1720383205189.png

Last edited:
File Size reduction instructions on iPhones.

See this button “options” at the bottom when ataching files to upload to the forum? Click that then select large file and the size goes down by a large percentage. @Ironman and all you should be able to upload any photo and it still is big enough to allow zooming. Don't pick medium or small.

Attachments

• IMG_5954.jpeg
    IMG_5954.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5955.jpeg
    IMG_5955.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
File Size reduction instructions on iPhones.

See this button “options” at the bottom when ataching files to upload to the forum? Click that then select large file and the size goes down by a large percentage. @Ironman and all you should be able to upload any photo and it still is big enough to allow zooming. Don't pick medium or small.
Thanks John, I had completely forgotten about that!

Back