• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Let's Get This Started - Tool Test Tuesday

Tool
I've got a program (can't remember the name but I think there are a few) that is integrated in the shell, you just right click on a file and can resize, rotate, etc. imo more convenient that opening, saving etc.

Last edited:
Sounds really interesting and a different world than my daily grind - don't be shy with the stories and photos, bet I'm not the only one who would find it interesting
I found some photos that are small enough so I can show you what underground mining equipment looks like. The first 4 are an Atlas Copco 1 boom jumbo hydraulic/electric drill. Next 2 are an Eimco Jarvis Clark 220 scooptram. Last 2 pictures are a Wagner ST2 scooptram.
The power generation and rock truck etc are too big and when things slow down I will try to shrivel them down s abit

Attachments

• Copco Jumbo 104E (2).JPG
    Copco Jumbo 104E (2).JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Copco Jumbo 104E (3).JPG
    Copco Jumbo 104E (3).JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Copco Jumbo 104E (4).JPG
    Copco Jumbo 104E (4).JPG
    124 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3216.JPG
    IMG_3216.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMGP0005-001.JPG
    IMGP0005-001.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMGP0016-001.JPG
    IMGP0016-001.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 10
Trying out a Ridgid wet tile saw....only other ridgid tool I've ever owned is a shop vac, which was great for the price, but the tile saw is a new one:

I found some photos that are small enough so I can show you what underground mining equipment looks like.

The latest forum software update includes automatic downsizing of photo uploads. There is still a size limit but it's much bigger and much more practical now. This problem should be history.

Here's one that's more relavant to folks around here, given the metalworking aspects:

Honestly impressed with how well it works, depending on belt life, I might switch to one of these over an angle grinder for cleanups before welding..it's just so nice and quiet and easy to control!

I have the 3/8" Milwaukee M12 version & I'm very pleased.
BTW I took a gamble on some Ali replacement belts & they seem every bit as good as what was packaged under label. Now it might be one of those things where a 3M belt kicks its but but 3x the cost, haven't gotten that far yet. Also while hunting on Ali, discovered belts which are like 3M scuff pads in same size. They work very nice for blending & finishing metal, so far anyway

1727919059604.png

BTW I took a gamble on some Ali replacement belts & they seem every bit as good as what was packaged under label. Now it might be one of those things where a 3M belt kicks its but but 3x the cost, haven't gotten that far yet. Also while hunting on Ali, discovered belts which are like 3M scuff pads in same size. They work very nice for blending & finishing metal, so far anyway

View attachment 52412
Been considering the 3/8” or 1/2”, but I already have a micro-belt grinder that uses the 3/8” belts so good to see your feedback.

Have you tried or do you know if the Milwaukee can use the 3M 3/8” x 13” Scotch-Brite belts?

Thanks, Charlie

Have you tried or do you know if the Milwaukee can use the 3M 3/8” x 13” Scotch-Brite belts?
Thanks, Charlie
I can only assume it would because that size is what I ordered from Ali. They fit & run well. Maybe these cordless electric units are designed to run same belts as existing pneumatics so they didn't have to reinvent the size? The Milwaukee pulley wheel inside the housing has vertical ears so the thicker abrasive belt is more or less laterally contained. Next time I'm in the shop I'll measure the belt thickness. From memory they were 3-4mm thickness maybe? 3M would, I'm sure, be a better & longer lasting product. The only ones I could see online were either USA based or autobody shops in larger qty, so the Ali variety pack was a short term gap fix.

I can only assume it would because that size is what I ordered from Ali. They fit & run well. Maybe these cordless electric units are designed to run same belts as existing pneumatics so they didn't have to reinvent the size? The Milwaukee pulley wheel inside the housing has vertical ears so the thicker abrasive belt is more or less laterally contained. Next time I'm in the shop I'll measure the belt thickness. From memory they were 3-4mm thickness maybe? 3M would, I'm sure, be a better & longer lasting product. The only ones I could see online were either USA based or autobody shops in larger qty, so the Ali variety pack was a short term gap fix.
Thanks; I picked up a medium & a fine from McMaster and they fit & run ok on the micro grinder:

I think this is the better scenario here. The Dewalt 20V system is too big and cumbersome for such a little belt. I think that the 12V Milwaukee is perfect (sized just right - not too big or too small) for this size of belt. I don't have either one so that's pure speculation on my part. If I got one it would be the M12 version though. The only downside of the 12V system is the missing swivelling head of the 20V unit. But I'm really not convinced that is really all that useful.

I general, I think that the 20V XR Dewalts are powerful units capable of amazing HD work - even replacing and obsoleting all my corded and pneumatic hand tools.

The Milwaukee M12 isn't nearly as powerful but it's compact size is much handier for small jobs with plenty of oomph for its size. In particular the drill and driver combo makes screwing together wood projects a snap. One Christmas a few years ago a home depot had the combo set on sale with a charger and two batteries. All 4 of my kids got one. They all love them too.

I was getting tired of deburring and filing burrs off pieces so I bought this little band sander a few years ago ($21 from Aliexpress).
I also picked up six each of 80, 120 and 180 grit belts ($18 for the lot).
I've got a 10mm x 330mm belt sander/grinder that I have fitted with a Scotch-Brite belt for deburring small parts:

I added the Vinyl cover over the exposed power leads.

I'll have to see if they make Scotch-Brite belts for the size sander you have (can you post a link? Thanks!).

I cannot find a listing for mine (I bought it in 2021).

But here is a similar unit from AliExpress.
It is listed for US$9.98 ea.
Mini-Belt-Sander-Electric-Sanding-Polishing-Grinding-Machine-7-Variable-Speed-with-10-Sanding-Belts-for.jpg_.webp

If you get on the AliExpress site,
Just search for “mini belt sanders”.

Mini-Belt-Sander-Electric-Sanding-Polishing-Grinding-Machine-7-Variable-Speed-with-10-Sanding-Belts-for.jpg_.webp

It's mind blowing to me that they can sell something like this for $10. I wouldn't even push the start button on the lathe or unlock my toolbox for $10. I sort of consider about $50 to be the minimum profit on any item that I have to put into the mail.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, when you click on one of them (I found as low as $5) then add to cart it turns out the $5 is for spare belts; the sander itself is $40+ (but free shipping). Also, all have EU plugs ; not a big deal but would need to re-plug.

Last edited:
Back