Tool Let's Get This Started - Tool Test Tuesday

Tool

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
As some of you may know, I've been doing a YouTube thing and have a series called Tool Test Tuesday going.

This week's video went totally off the rails, complete failure but I kinda went with it anyway and spoofed myself:

Figured, might as well have some fun with it.

The rest of the real Tool Test Tuesday videos are here if you want to follow along:

Also open to requests for anything you might want to see me test :)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I liked the video - you're just like the rest of us. :)

-> Also open to requests for anything you might want to see me test :)

Ok here's an idea: Test radon detectors. Airthings electronic, mail in tests, professional testing, anything else available. Are they accurate? Comparable?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Ok here's an idea: Test radon detectors. Airthings electronic, mail in tests, professional testing, anything else available. Are they accurate? Comparable?

I would actually watch that if it was to the point and stuck to the key issues - no fluff. I'd like to know more about it and get some decent advice to do this effectively without taking out a second mortgage.

Best bang for the buck on remediation too.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Short and to the point.
Thanks for these tool introductions.
Focus on their best function and features.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist

I would actually watch that if it was to the point and stuck to the key issues - no fluff. I'd like to know more about it and get some decent advice to do this effectively without taking out a second mortgage.

Best bang for the buck on remediation too.

At this point in my YouTube "career" I'm unlikely to invest a lot of money into a video unless I would have spent that money anyway. Until I hit 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours, I don't make a penny off the videos. Once there's some amount of earnings to cover these, I'd happily give this a try.

So I guess the open invitation was more around anything I can do with what I have on hand.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The plyers test was a good comparison. Wondering if you had considered a tool test of side grinder wheels and flap wheels for a tool test. Who's are best?

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
The plyers test was a good comparison. Wondering if you had considered a tool test of side grinder wheels and flap wheels for a tool test. Who's are best?

I'm planning to do a grinder size show down soon, I just picked up one more cordless 4.5-5" grinder last week so I have 4.5", 5", 6", and 7" grinders now...some corded, some cordless.

I could try different grinding wheels and flap discs in the future too, will add it to the list.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Something a little different for Tool Test Tuesday this week, I did a comparison of a bunch of different kinds of needle nose pliers:
I’m curious why you think max opening and grip strength are important, on a tool where both aren't really important. On needle nose pliers tip diameter and how well the jaws grab small items is more important, the jaw flex test had some relevance

Knipex make awesome tools but are too spendy, Channelock are great for a cheaper alternative. Wish you would’ve done a price comparison, and added Snap On / Mac /Matco brands as well. Gear Wrench is getting better as a whole but they aren’t a plier brand that’s note worthy.

Now if you did a side cutter compare, Knipex will dominate for sheer cutting force. Probably for longevity as well

Another factor to consider is warranty, Knipex and Snap On will warranty worn out tools. I can’t comment on gear wrench mastercraft or channelock for worn out, likely broken you’ll get warranty

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I’m curious why you think max opening and grip strength are important, on a tool where both aren't really important. On needle nose pliers tip diameter and how well the jaws grab small items is more important, the jaw flex test had some relevance

Knipex make awesome tools but are too spendy, Channelock are great for a cheaper alternative. Wish you would’ve done a price comparison, and added Snap On / Mac /Matco brands as well. Gear Wrench is getting better as a whole but they aren’t a plier brand that’s note worthy.

Now if you did a side cutter compare, Knipex will dominate for sheer cutting force. Probably for longevity as well

Another factor to consider is warranty, Knipex and Snap On will warranty worn out tools. I can’t comment on gear wrench mastercraft or channelock for worn out, likely broken you’ll get warranty

Depends on what you're doing with them...I've found in the automotive side of things that I'm often relying on grip strength to be able to pull, squeeze, or generally move things. The pivot force really excel in that case. Opening is less relevant but just gives some sense of size/leverage.

As it stands, I'm doing this with tools I just own anyway, not making money whatsoever on youtube (can't get monetized until you have 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours, I have 360/2200ish), so I'm not going to spend money on tools for these tests yet. Price is reflected in the value score, but I can add specific prices where possible going forward, good suggestion :)

I have the matching side cutters and even some of the mini bolt cutters from most of these brands, I could do a comparison in the future, but I'm not really willing to destroy anything to get "which is the strongest cutter" sort of results like project farm would do as per above with $$.

Thanks for checking it out none the less :)

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
For the tougher grip situations I use vice grip needlenose pliers.

I've always found the vice grip needlenose have difficulty grabbing right at the tip and/or they are bulky. I do have a couple dozen pairs of vice grips and they have their use, but I only grab them when I need hands freeze squeeze.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Correct,
The best feature of VISE-GRIP is the over-center locking ability.
Whether it is needle-nose or wide-flat the ‘locking’ differentiates them from simple pliers.

Crankit

Tsunoda pliers are a really good Japanese brand that quality wise fit in between Channelock and Knipex. They usually price cheaper than Channelock

Six O Two

(Marco)
another variation on pliers - parallel jaw pliers.

Those are neat. I like the brass jawed ones too. Clicking through, I see there's a kind with a screw lock on them as well. I can see how these would be great for small part work. Always seems to be more tools to drool over...

il_794xN.812808483_k0ht.jpg

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Yeah, parallel jaw pliers have been on my list for a while...I'd like to find one of the name brands though (Knipex, Channellock, etc.) as they mostly seem to be brands I haven't heard of.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I got three for Christmas awhile back. They are really neat. No more stuff popping out like a spring when pressure applied. I have a brass jaw, a nylon jaw and a curved jaw for bending circles and ovals. They do everything I needed so far. mine came from the UK.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I got three for Christmas awhile back. They are really neat. No more stuff popping out like a spring when pressure applied. I have a brass jaw, a nylon jaw and a curved jaw for bending circles and ovals. They do everything I needed so far. mine came from the UK.

Sounds GREAT!

Can you provide a brand or a source?