• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Jswain's active projects

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I would like to pick up a bottle of tapmagic thick to try out. Looks handy is certain situations

It is. I got it to try because the Vipers Venom is really hard to get in Canada. Venom is a thick clingy fluid that doesn't fling off easily and lasts several passes. The Tap Magic thick is similar so I'm trying it as a replacement for the Venom.

Jswain

Joe
Wanted to make one of these since I got the lathe. Plasma cutter circle guide, should be good for circles or radius' from ~2.5" to 34"ish. Doubt I will ever go anywhere near that large but the weight hanging on the back kind of balances it and makes for a nice handle.

Think I will also make a magnet centre, we'll see how this one works. I'm thinking a heavy centre punch should keep it put, or an 1/8" hole

Attachments

• 1000006251-01.jpeg
    1000006251-01.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1000006250-01.jpeg
    1000006250-01.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1000006249-01.jpeg
    1000006249-01.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 14
  • 1000006248-01.jpeg
    1000006248-01.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 1000006247-01.jpeg
    1000006247-01.jpeg
    789.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is the best stuff I've ever used for machining ferrous metals. But Canadian supply has disappeared. If anyone ever finds a Canadian supplier I'd love to know about it.

Screenshot_20240304_071954_Chrome.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Grizzly sells it in bulk volumes as well as bottles.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Buying a 5gallon pail, and redistributing it in smaller quantities seems like a good little winter side project for a semi retired farmer in the off season.......

:D

I'd do that in a heart beat if I could get the 5 gal pail. But I can't get it across the border. This whole discussion would be over if I could.

Jswain

Joe
They ain't all pretty....at least in this thread. Wanted a 36mm wrench for my collet chuck without having to leave my adjustable in the mill cabinet.

Side note the way covers & table covers worked amazing. Very quick vacuum in the end & she's cpean

Attachments

• 1000006258-01.jpeg
    1000006258-01.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1000006259-01.jpeg
    1000006259-01.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1000006260-01.png
    1000006260-01.png
    497.9 KB · Views: 10

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Side note the way covers & table covers worked amazing. Very quick vacuum in the end & she's cpean

I love the T-slot inserts.

But I feel compelled to point out that some guys use covers to prevent chips from falling into the slots, and some guys use them to protect the table from damage. I don't think those covers handle the second goal. I'll prolly keep using cardboard or preferably corrugated plastic if I can ever find some.

Jswain

Joe
I love the T-slot inserts.

But I feel compelled to point out that some guys use covers to prevent chips from falling into the slots, and some guys use them to protect the table from damage. I don't think those covers handle the second goal. I'll prolly keep using cardboard or preferably corrugated plastic if I can ever find some.
I would never think that they would protect the table from damage.

However they make cleanup much faster, which was the goal.

Someday I will cut an aluminum sheet or something for the table, for now I'm just careful.

Drop a large vise or rotary table etc you're probably doing damage either way so what all do you protect from

I dooooo want to make some for the Southbend tho, as I believe my printer will cover the narrow span and I could build them thick enough to throw one on while swapping chucks etc. maybe a narrow one for when I'm turning cast or rusty crap.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Drop a large vise or rotary table etc you're probably doing damage either way so what all do you protect from

Oh, you would be surprised. It isn't dropping the rotary table or vise. You are right, it ain't gunna protect against that. But a flying broken end mill, a dropped collet, a dropped TBolt, pair of pliers, can of whatever. It doesn't take long to accumulate battle scars. I accept that it will never stay flawless, but I want to reduce the damage with reasonable preventive measures. And I think that a piece of heavy corrugated plastic is the perfect answer.

Not long ago, I was discussing corrosion with a guy who visits machine shops and I suggested plywood. He instantly said it wasn't that good a solution because wood products harbor chemicals that can do as much damage as rust. He recommended corrugated plastic. I use cardboard now, but I'll switch to currugated plastic as soon as I can find some.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wait until the next election cycle. Call all local candidates and tell them you'll put up a yard sign, and then immediately use them for table covers. Best use for em.

I LOVE IT! I dunno about letting them use my yard but I might try and swipe a few signs from elsewhere right after the election!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmmmm..... Thinking maybe I'll start looking for a few old cutting boards too. Or maybe a few new ones and swap with my wife for hers. That looks PERFECT!

I think perhaps better than the corrugated plastic board. Best of all, I could be up and running in weeks instead of waiting for an election.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmmmm..... Thinking maybe I'll start looking for a few old cutting boards too. Or maybe a few new ones and swap with my wife for hers. That looks PERFECT!

I think perhaps better than the corrugated plastic board. Best of all, I could be up and running in weeks instead of waiting for an election.
You could get fancy and mill the underside of the cutting board so that it locked into the mill table slots.

Jswain

Joe

It may burn in a bit with hot chips, maybe not, but it should do a good job protecting the table. It's 1 piece and sticks on there pretty good, if it moves around too much I may screw one of the tslot covers to it on each side so it snaps in

Best part was the price, free