• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hey Guys!!! I dare you to find a better auction than this….. Starts Tomorrow.

The small stuff went crazy.
The big lots became untouchable for me.
I wanted one thing in a big lot.

i Did get the wooden tool box full of random stuff. Hope there’s enough useful thing in for my needs.
Having 20 things ending at once causing panic.

gerritv

Gerrit
I'm used to the format, although as the winning bidder on the Atlas mill it was a bit of a nail biter.

It is what it is. Until we get back to in-person auctions the prices will be up there due to a wider bidding pool.

Gerrit

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yes, lots were spaced apart just 15 seconds (!)

Also there is a bug in their system whereas you cannot bid from catalog screen when item is like less then 2 min to go (!!!)

gerritv

Gerrit
Having 20 things ending at once causing panic.
You need a bigger monitor so that you can have multiple screens open.
The format is mostly consistent across Hibid, irritating until you ge the hang of it. Of course Plan A is always put in your max bid and leave it alone. Manual bidding is fraught with multiple dangers, like over bidding or missing altogether.

Gerrit

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I got the Interapid tenths indicator, the Engravograph and a lot of variac’s and power supplies..... Very happy! Hope everyone had fun! Now to go and beg forgiveness from the misses.

Cheers all!

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Gerrit / Derek since you already going do you mind picking up two micrometers for me and then dropping them in the mail for me?

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Gerrit / Derek since you already going do you mind picking up two micrometers for me and then dropping them in the mail for me?

Hey Tom. Gerrit and I are going to try and pick up his and my stuff tomorrow (asking super nicely). Should be no problem grabbing your stuff.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I got the Interapid tenths indicator, the Engravograph and a lot of variac’s and power supplies..... Very happy! Hope everyone had fun! Now to go and beg forgiveness from the misses.

Cheers all!

Derek

You will have to let me know how you like the engraveograph. I didn't feel safe bidding from so far away, but was keenly interested. Same goes for the interapid.

Also liked the tilting table and already have uses for one. But I think I can use a jig instead. And shipping would have been awful.

Back to shopping on Kijiji, Ali, ebay, and marketplace.........

Wish I could have gone in person. I'd love to have seen the shop of such a skilled craftsman and paid my respects.

I've experienced this auction format on farm equipment too. I don't like it. Too hard to keep track of multiple items. I don't even know what half the stuff went for!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The format is mostly consistent across Hibid, irritating until you ge the hang of it. Of course Plan A is always put in your max bid and leave it alone. Manual bidding is fraught with multiple dangers, like over bidding or missing altogether.

Gerrit

Betting you have hi-speed internet.

I'm a farmer. Like you, I have used auction firms that use hi-bid before for farm auctions. I tried the multi-window thing. Doesn't work on rural slow speed internet connections.

I'm jealous!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The format is mostly consistent across Hibid, irritating until you ge the hang of it
Gerrit

I get that its a bit yelling at clouds, but imo that format in nonsensical. I missed some items I was going to be aggressive on because they sold while I concentrating on others expering in seconds at the top of page - to hard to look everwhere an once. That's sub-optimal for the auctioneer and seller. While there may be disadvantages I haven't thought of, I would think the sorting done strictly on time left would make a lot more sense (yes, I have 1G and 2 monitors....its a biological bandwidth issue). The solution is so easy - give a user a sort option; lot# or time remaining.

I don't think we're going back in person auctions. Covid accelerated the small time online auctions, but I think its here to stay. The digital format has given these little guys some real reach; if you were the seller, wouldn't insist on hiring a firm that could have the whole country watching and buying like last evening? Also, it appeals a bit to myopic psychology (we all suffer from to some degree)....you bid in comfort and don't have to brave the traffic/weather until later.

The part that is missing though is the inspection. In some cases substantial premiums were paid (over new even) yet the buyer has no idea the real condition. That's called risk and overall should incline the buyer to discount the item. (Commercial auctions almost always have inspections, but some dropped it with Covid) I kind of doubt it, but hope that happens - bring in an inspection time once we're past Covid. I think its in the buyers and sellers interests, its not so much in the auctioneers so don't hold your breath

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I get that its a bit yelling at clouds, but imo that format in nonsensical. I missed some items I was going to be aggressive on because they sold while I concentrating on others expering in seconds at the top of page - to hard to look everwhere an once. That's sub-optimal for the auctioneer and seller. While there may be disadvantages I haven't thought of, I would think the sorting done strictly on time left would make a lot more sense (yes, I have 1G and 2 monitors....its a biological bandwidth issue). The solution is so easy - give a user a sort option; lot# or time remaining.

I don't think we're going back in person auctions. Covid accelerated the small time online auctions, but I think its here to stay. The digital format has given these little guys some real reach; if you were the seller, wouldn't insist on hiring a firm that could have the whole country watching and buying like last evening? Also, it appeals a bit to myopic psychology (we all suffer from to some degree)....you bid in comfort and don't have to brave the traffic/weather until later.

The part that is missing though is the inspection. In some cases substantial premiums were paid (over new even) yet the buyer has no idea the real condition. That's called risk and overall should incline the buyer to discount the item. (Commercial auctions almost always have inspections, but some dropped it with Covid) I kind of doubt it, but hope that happens - bring in an inspection time once we're past Covid. I think its in the buyers and sellers interests, its not so much in the auctioneers so don't hold your breath

I fear that you are right. It's a bit like the work at home movement. There will be some take back, but the paradigm has changed.

The farm auctions around here have all moved to proxybid, but they have retained a pre-auction inspection just like you suggest. It takes a lot of the risk away for the locals, but the "reach" effect you also describe is very real. I recently attended an in-person auction that was also done with proxybid. It was pure pandemonium. Everyone, including the auctioneer was going crazy. Stuff (including really big stuff like tractors) was going to buyers in California and even Mexico! The prices were crazy. But the Canadian dollar is weak so that didn't help the local buyer much.

I wish you were wrong, but I think your prediction is right.

That said, a savy seller might consider ebay instead! Who needs a stupid auctioneer? Or maybe an evolved eBay post covid.

Actually if I'm not mistaken, there was an inspection/preview time given. It was only a very short 10-1PM window yesterday. I imagine only local bidders like myself would have been likely to attend and even though I myself live in Hamilton I got lazy and skipped the preview. My bad!

I have not participated in an auction since before Covid began so have no idea if the short 10 second interval between lots in this auction is an aberration or now commonplace. If its an aberration I would attribute it to auctioneer incompetence. If on the other hand it has now become common place in auctions I would guess it might be to discourage last second sniping.

In any case I noticed ahead of time that the intervals were very quick in succession and so prepared myself ahead of time to do my last minute sniping in quick succession. It paid off. Now I'm full of angst as to whether I should have bid on more items or held onto my money. Whether I was wise to stick with the small stuff or if I should have got myself involved in a bigger fun adventure with something large and heavy?

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
An auction i follow has a time cutoff, 8pm and the auction is over. Get your bid in with your max bid as well, it will auto bid for you up to your max if somebody keeps bidding you up. I don't mind this concept as i don't need to watch the auction every sunday night, just place what i'm willing to spend on an item. Don't get caught up in the crap of " they aren't going to out bid me"

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Actually if I'm not mistaken, there was an inspection/preview time given. It was only a very short 10-1PM window yesterday. I imagine only local bidders like myself would have been likely to attend and even though I myself live in Hamilton I got lazy and skipped the preview. My bad!

I have not participated in an auction since before Covid began so have no idea if the short 10 second interval between lots in this auction is an aberration or now commonplace. If its an aberration I would attribute it to auctioneer incompetence. If on the other hand it has now become common place in auctions I would guess it might be to discourage last second sniping.

In any case I noticed ahead of time that the intervals were very quick in succession and so prepared myself ahead of time to do my last minute sniping in quick succession. It paid off. Now I'm full of angst as to whether I should have bid on more items or held onto my money. Whether I was wise to stick with the small stuff or if I should have got myself involved in a bigger fun adventure with something large and heavy?

Yup. Exactly how I feel right now.

But we both made the decisions we made based on what we knew when we made them. There is no point in second guessing ourselves.

They might have claimed 10 seconds between lots, but that isn't what happened. Lots of them expired simultaneously. I got a sound notification. As each closed. Sounded like a flock of birds going crazy in here at times.

My wife and I have been discussing my death for the last hour or so. The pros and cons of an auction, comprehensive Kijiji sales, etc. Her version is: to get a dumpster and get rid of everything with a bull dozer. Didn't even care if should could get 50k. She says, when I die she just wants everything gone and she won't need or care about money anymore. And if she ever does, she will just go get a rich new boyfriend......

Yup. Exactly how I feel right now.

My wife and I have been discussing my death for the last hour or so. The pros and cons of an auction, comprehensive Kijiji sales, etc. Her version is: to get a dumpster and get rid of everything with a bull dozer. Didn't even care if should could get 50k. She says, when I die she just wants everything gone and she won't need or care about money anymore. And if she ever does, she will just go get a rich new boyfriend......

I hope its not too morose a subject but I think many of us old farts have been there too. I know my wife worries about what she will do with all my stuff when I'm gone because she knows very little about it and some of it is big heavy and difficult to move. I've been telling her to just call in an auctioneer and auction it all off. This auction however gives me reason to pause for thought. Its too bad we don't have a system in place to take care of our estates in a proper fashion. Heck I don't even have kids or close relatives that could act as executors!