• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hey Guys!!! I dare you to find a better auction than this….. Starts Tomorrow.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I am 100% sure family bid on this stuff to up the price. There is no other way.

@Tom Kitta I absolutely agree with you re: family/auctioneer bidding up items at the Wildrose sale today..... I bought a few things, but most of the usual suspects went for waaaaaay too much money, even for Alberta.

gerritv

Gerrit
I'll be there at 0845 with my wife. This won't be the first machine that she helps move, hopefully the last though :) Derek will also be there to assist, he has moved one of these before.
I'll be totally focused on the task at hand so if I seem distant, please don't take offense. I have a fixed time frame before I must be at Hamilton Airport for my 1 hour flight. I really really can't afford to miss that.

Gerrit

Pickup times tomorrow are listed as 9-3PM. I'm aiming to be there first thing near 9AM. Perhaps we will cross paths although I probably wouldn't recognize any of you. If I knew assistance was needed I could bring some tools. Looks however like number of people allowed in is restricted.

You are correct. I thought that was today’s numbers. For some reason I thought it was fri/sat pick up not sat/sun.

*********** the pick up is SATURDAY AND MONDAY NOT SUNDAY ***********

I’ll probably be there around 9 I’m normally up early.
I’ll be the big guy with a beard if you need a hand lol

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'll be the big guy with white hair and white beard, a big belly laugh, and twinkly blue eyes ...... who won't be there!

You guys are all too funny!

Whoever helped lift the Atlas mill up the stairs on the fridge cart and onto the trailer with Derek and me, thank you!

Gerrit
You’re most welcome.

I was chuckling all day after I said I would have bid more on the mill if I known it was so small, and your wife looked at me with daggers “NO don’t”. Ha ha were always getting in trouble for our hobbies ;)

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I’m generally pretty happy with the haul. The engraver is “well used” but nothing needs to be replaced and we’re I to do so my shop has the capability. I would say I am disappointed with the Interapid as I think it needs to be repaired..... live and learn! Next will be onto the power supplies, check and test. That’ll be fun given that I have almost no idea what I’m doing; but it’s just electricity, what’s the worst that can happen, lol? Nice to meet some of the guys.... I think a shop beer is in order soon though..... Craig, Dave, Gerrit, George and Mike.... your are all on notice, anyone else is welcome! We can all bellyache over how Wayne got all the good stuff!

@gerritv how did that plane flight go!!! Always was curious about those? Saw the Lanc around the city a few times on Saturday and made me think about you.

gerritv

Gerrit
And I was looking down on everyone :)
Incredibly noisy, esp. during takeoff, 108db or so apparently. And it is only half weight so I can't imagine the noise level with a full bomb load. Even during the rest of the flight you could not hear yourself yell at someone. Lots of shaking as they ran the engines up to get them up to temperature before takeoff. Very stable in flight, no bouncing around at all.
No creaks, no squeaking, this plane is better built than the B17 I was in a few years ago.
But very cramped inside, even when they were used to bring home POW's in WWII they could only get 29 people in the plane.

My parents told me many times about hearing/watching Lancasters going over Amsterdam during the war, and esp. the food drops at the end of the Hunger Winter in 1945.

Well worth the cost IMHO, to experience what young men committed to day after day for us.

Gerrit

I’m generally pretty happy with the haul. The engraver is “well used” but nothing needs to be replaced and we’re I to do so my shop has the capability. I would say I am disappointed with the Interapid as I think it needs to be repaired..... live and learn! Next will be onto the power supplies, check and test. That’ll be fun given that I have almost no idea what I’m doing; but it’s just electricity, what’s the worst that can happen, lol? Nice to meet some of the guys.... I think a shop beer is in order soon though..... Craig, Dave, Gerrit, George and Mike.... your are all on notice, anyone else is welcome! We can all bellyache over how Wayne got all the good stuff!
I'm all for meeting over a beer although Covid is still a lingering problem. I also am pleased with my haul and was pleasantly surprised that my pick up went very smoothly. I got the lot of cheaper dial gauges and some of them are definitely sticky so I might make my first foray into DIY dial gauge repairs. I figure I have little to lose since they were so cheap. I also got a Mitutoyo dial caliper that is so jammed with crud it doesn't work any more. I'm hoping if I take it apart and give it a good clean it will be like new again. More projects to keep me busy!!!

gerritv

Gerrit
I also got a Mitutoyo dial caliper that is so jammed with crud it doesn't work any more. I'm hoping if I take it apart and give it a good clean it will be like new again. More projects to keep me busy!!!
I would brush the gear rack etc. with paint thinner, and blow it off a few times, each time moving the head to a different spot. I was given a jammed up Etalon dial caliper, that is how I got it sorted out. Lubed with sewing machine oil (aka fine mineral oil).

The less you take apart, the lower the risk of losing parts.

Gerrit

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
At 13:49 she says says 'these are measuring relative travel, not absolute length'... ??
Within the accuracy of the the gear train (or the electronic equivalent in a digital indicator), isn't that the intended purpose where the plunger displacement represents length? Maybe its the word 'absolute' that's throwing me. I've seen dial 'test' indicators referred to as 'relative' comparators as in pre-zero on a gage block, compare to the part & you are looking for +/- deviation to zero. But its back to a similar issue where a mechanical clock mechanism is supposedly telling you how far off zero you are, no?