• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hey Guys!!! I dare you to find a better auction than this….. Starts Tomorrow.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
An auction i follow has a time cutoff, 8pm and the auction is over. Get your bid in with your max bid as well, it will auto bid for you up to your max if somebody keeps bidding you up. I don't mind this concept as i don't need to watch the auction every sunday night, just place what i'm willing to spend on an item. Don't get caught up in the crap of " they aren't going to out bid me"

I dunno. We are all different I guess. I'm usually only interested in getting a good deal on things I am interested in. I don't want to get a good deal or a bad one on a bunch of stuff. It all adds up. I just want to watch the auction and see what is going for the best prices and then snipe on those at the last minute. That way I can get one or two good items at a great price instead of ending up with 10 items at a "fair" price.

Another story - 40 years ago I was at a ducks unlimited fund raiser. They had some really cool hand carved original decoys being auctioned off. I figured I might be able to get one if it went for under 100.

Then my wife announced she was in labour. Holy Crap. "Can you wait till the auction is over honey?" Bad call. "Ok, Carol (lady at our table), here is my credit card. I want a decoy I'll pay up to 100 for it." Another bad call. One baby girl later, I learned that I owned 11 decoys and spent 900 for them. It was the first time I stared divorce in the face........

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I hope its not too morose a subject but I think many of us old farts have been there too. I know my wife worries about what she will do with all my stuff when I'm gone because she knows very little about it and some of it is big heavy and difficult to move. I've been telling her to just call in an auctioneer and auction it all off. This auction however gives me reason to pause for thought. Its too bad we don't have a system in place to take care of our estates in a proper fashion. Heck I don't even have kids or close relatives that could act as executors!

No friends either? How about a hired executor? Kids and close relatives are not always good executors.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I get that its a bit yelling at clouds, but imo that format in nonsensical. I missed some items I was going to be aggressive on because they sold while I concentrating on others expering in seconds at the top of page - to hard to look everwhere an once. That's sub-optimal for the auctioneer and seller. While there may be disadvantages I haven't thought of, I would think the sorting done strictly on time left would make a lot more sense (yes, I have 1G and 2 monitors....its a biological bandwidth issue). The solution is so easy - give a user a sort option; lot# or time remaining.

I don't think we're going back in person auctions. Covid accelerated the small time online auctions, but I think its here to stay. The digital format has given these little guys some real reach; if you were the seller, wouldn't insist on hiring a firm that could have the whole country watching and buying like last evening? Also, it appeals a bit to myopic psychology (we all suffer from to some degree)....you bid in comfort and don't have to brave the traffic/weather until later.

The part that is missing though is the inspection. In some cases substantial premiums were paid (over new even) yet the buyer has no idea the real condition. That's called risk and overall should incline the buyer to discount the item. (Commercial auctions almost always have inspections, but some dropped it with Covid) I kind of doubt it, but hope that happens - bring in an inspection time once we're past Covid. I think its in the buyers and sellers interests, its not so much in the auctioneers so don't hold your breath

HiBid is designed to try to prevent eBay-style sniping with the automatic time extensions. AFAICT, they want you to put in your max bid sometime ahead of the closing and then find out later if you won or not. Most of us, however, are programmed by experience to only want to input the next bid increment. Obviously, you can do that but the system design is then working against you.

The auction would not be easier to follow if the sort order was strictly on time remaining. Any item that got an extension in the last 2 minutes would jump to different place in the list. I don't think this would make it any easier to follow. The only way to keep sane is put in your max bid. Sometimes, when I have revised my bid near the end, I have gone 2 or 3 bid increments above the current bid. So if the other guy responds, I'm still the high bidder. Obviously, if you put in an insanely high max bid, you will always 'win'. The second place bidder determines how much you pay.

For me, the problem now is that I don't trust HiBid after they were hacked. They have done everything they could to sweep that problem under the rug. So now, I have to question whether they have other shoddy business practises. For example, can auctioneers see my max bid? Can they place 'phantom' bids to run me up to the max? They shouldn't be able to but now I have evidence that HiBid is a unethical company. I did not bid last night for this reason.

There are still a few in-person auctions, here's an example scheduled for Saturday (Oct 23):

http://www.sure-bid.ca/upcoming-auctions.html

But I agree that the vast majority of sales are online and likely to stay there. Most of the online sales do have a preview but my impression is that few people actually do it.

Craig

gerritv

Gerrit
The inspection was poorly attended, I was there at 1005, 2 ppl inside at the time, 4 of us waiting outside. One left because he couldn't be bothered waiting any longer? No one was waiting when I left. It was worth the 45 minute drive as it confirmed my expectation of how clean and tidy all the tools are.

If anyone was bidding and won the 2 steady rests (black) and MT2 end mill holders, if there is anything in there you didn't really want please let me know. I had set my max but due to the Atlas mill going for less than my max I had some extra cash. But finger trouble..... and probably from watching stuff to see what it got to even though I wasn't interested in bidding.

The only way IMO, on eBay, in person, Hibid to not get sucked into the 'I must win this' is to set your max and walk away. I decided what the mill was worth to me, and set the number.

Gerrit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The inspection was poorly attended, I was there at 1005, 2 ppl inside at the time, 4 of us waiting outside. One left because he couldn't be bothered waiting any longer? No one was waiting when I left. It was worth the 45 minute drive as it confirmed my expectation of how clean and tidy all the tools are.

If anyone was bidding and won the 2 steady rests (black) and MT2 end mill holders, if there is anything in there you didn't really want please let me know. I had set my max but due to the Atlas mill going for less than my max I had some extra cash. But finger trouble..... and probably from watching stuff to see what it got to even though I wasn't interested in bidding.

The only way IMO, on eBay, in person, Hibid to not get sucked into the 'I must win this' is to set your max and walk away. I decided what the mill was worth to me, and set the number.

Gerrit

OH, I get it. It's not like I don't understand the process or their rationale.

But I'm a guy who enjoys his hobbies on an allowance. I can only spend so much a month. So even though I might want a half dozen different things, I can only afford one. I cannot do the max I am willing to pay and walk away lest I end up owning 10 decoys but divorced.

So I don't like the High Bid system but I do like to snipe one item at a time. It isn't about winning at all cost. It's about getting the most I can for the dollars I have.

If the world switches to hi-bid, I'm not gunna be happy.

gerritv

Gerrit
OH, I get it. It's not like I don't understand the process or their rationale.

But I'm a guy who enjoys his hobbies on an allowance. I can only spend so much a month. So even though I might want a half dozen different things, I can only afford one. I cannot do the max I am willing to pay and walk away lest I end up owning 10 decoys but divorced.
I got pre-approval from the CFO for a certain amount. I too live on a budget, plus being Dutch adds to the desire for best value (as in never pay retail). But the HiBid format does give its challenges

... I had set my max but due to the Atlas mill going for less than my max I had some extra cash. ...

Gerrit

So you got the mill? How are you getting it out of the basement and home? Post pictures of this please! We like living vicariously and learning from other peoples adventures!!!

gerritv

Gerrit
They are unfortunately needing to limit the # of ppl there at one time.
It is a split level so 'only' 5 or so steps to go up. Lots of things easily removed from the mill and cabinet to make it manageable. Derek says he will be there as well with his fridge cart.

I have 2 hours, should be more than enough. I have to be at Hamilton Airport by 1200 for my 1pm Lancaster flight, it got moved up from next year!! Lots of excitement this Saturday.

Gerrit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just to give you guys an idea how much more expensive AB is... an old Canadian Machnery Corporation WWI lathe circa 1915 with flat belt, dirty, with some issues (worn out) sold for same as Mayford super 7 in ON - both 2000.

https://wildroseauction.hibid.com/lot/103130225/e--hoffman-metal-lathe

I'm not surprised at all. I think it might be a collector. Maybe the buyer thought so too.

Besides, we gotta pay 13% on top of purchase price.

But best of all, I think you might be telling me that I might be able to get 2 grand for my pre 1891 F. E. Reed Flat Belt Drive Lathe???? Especially if I ship it to Calgary!

20211022_142412.jpg

I only use it for bar stock sanding right now to keep the abrasives off my good lathe.

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
I was surprised that the Super7 didn't go for more. I think everybody bidding on it realized they also had to win a couple of other expensive lots to get a decent set of accessories. For example, the lathe had the toolpost from a quick change system mounted but none of the tool holders.

Did come with a nice selection of tailstock chucks. Plus the "mystery boxes" in the bottom of the cabinet. :rolleyes:

Craig

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I would not be shocked.

I am unaware of anyone collecting lathes as collector items - I also think there are plenty more collectable lathes like your 19th century model.

Yes, some crazy pp pay a lot.

I saw 3 grease guns go for ... 40 with fees. I also got some of mine on auction but I think I paid like no more then $5 a pop. A box of rusty taps went for $50 with fees - I would not pay $5 for it. I mean rusty (like really rusty) taps are frequently dull enough to be useless unless you sharpen them. There were few other items that made me go "seriously". I am 100% sure family bid on this stuff to up the price. There is no other way.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That super seven went for free. In AB it would easily be 4000. Heck if you posted it for 4k it would be gone in under 24h.

I am fixing a ML7B and once done I probably post it for 3500. Its not as good of a lathe as super 7.

gerritv

Gerrit
Don't worry, you will see the same Myford on Kijiji in a while along with the tooling lot.

If I recall the Myford and Maximat went to 2 different people. The Myford went to what we think is a dealer/reseller. He also bid on 'my' Atlas mill, but stopped at $750 or so. Same person wnet for the tooling lot with qctp holders, which is one of several reasons I bowed out of the Maximat.

Gerrit

They are unfortunately needing to limit the # of ppl there at one time.
It is a split level so 'only' 5 or so steps to go up. Lots of things easily removed from the mill and cabinet to make it manageable. Derek says he will be there as well with his fridge cart.

I have 2 hours, should be more than enough. I have to be at Hamilton Airport by 1200 for my 1pm Lancaster flight, it got moved up from next year!! Lots of excitement this Saturday.

Gerrit
Are you going right at ten tomorrow?
ive got to pick up my box of goodies and was thinking morning, I can lend a extra hand.

as far as setting your high bid and walking away it’s great but as you loose other lots the budget on the remaining lots goes up.
I think a general ending time that only has 20 lots counting down at a time would alleviate these issues. Add more on the 5 min count down as others close out. More manageable and they get more bids. Win win?

Did everyone who needed a pick up and ship get something arranged?

Are you going right at ten tomorrow?
ive got to pick up my box of goodies and was thinking morning, I can lend a extra hand.

Pickup times tomorrow are listed as 9-3PM. I'm aiming to be there first thing near 9AM. Perhaps we will cross paths although I probably wouldn't recognize any of you. If I knew assistance was needed I could bring some tools. Looks however like number of people allowed in is restricted.