• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hey Guys!!! I dare you to find a better auction than this….. Starts Tomorrow.

Ya, that's shady for sure.

Many of the photos make it abundantly clear that it's a basement.

More legitimate auctions make location abundantly clear.

Almost like they want people to default on it, when they show up Saturday at noon with a couple buddies and a trailer only to find the shaper or lathe in a basement requiring many more guys, equipment and time.

there conditions make it clear. You will be charged your bid AND “disposal” of your items and they become the property of them.

where abouts are you located?

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I think that we can all agree that this auctioneer is either “shady as hell” or as “dumb as a sack of hammers”. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of items grouped into some of the lots, yet they have then listed lot 146 all on its own which is an adjustable wrench! (Ironically someone has bid it up to $10, lol). The Quorn (lot 8) would be a great buy, but don’t forget lot 16 which is the set of heads for it..... It’ll be fun to see how this all shakes down but it has at least caused me to have a conversation with my daughter regarding the value of the “goodies” in my shop. In my most genuine opinion, friends don’t let friends list with “sellthisforme.com”.

Cheers, all!

Derek

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I don’t even think there nice hammers lol

terrible photos even. What should have been a big pay out for the widow I can’t see bring that great.

And to top it off, the family will have to pay the auctioneers a portion too! There are SO many terms to use, but the cleanest I can come up with is either “salt on a wound” or “insult to injury”……. I have a number of better ones but “this is a family show”, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
Lot 4 and 4a would get you a superb small lathe in an EMCO Maximat 10, and most of the accessories to get you started.The lathe also has the milling head. That is worth some big bucks also.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Still 6h to go. Another problem is large lots - auctioneer is lazy - plus a lot of heavy junk in lots - making it difficult to buy remote with shipping - at least without help from anyone from ON.

If I buy stuff that is bigger lot I just give some to the person helping me out.

Now 6h to go - with so much interest here and a quarter of this group bidding against each other I doubt things will go for a song, but for certain they will go for much less then they could if this was made with some sense.

gerritv

Gerrit
It's in a basement, the shop is not as large as the photos make it appear. Access is easy as the stairs and doors are wide. Basement is in a split level so not the usual # of steps to haul things up.

Julius got the shaper in there, although my friend who knew him well never got to hear how, but it will come out.

Gerrit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I know the TSME guys but not so much the Hamilton crew. As his treasures are poured over in a public fashion (an auction may be inevitable, but always feels a bit crass) I became interested and did some searching. Here's his obit and and interesting article about him....I feel the obit lacks in that there is no mention of his hobby....few (other than guys like us) will appreciate how important it was to him.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thespec/obituary.aspx?n=julius-gombos&pid=198414305&fhid=11256

https://www.thespec.com/entertainment/2008/01/24/hungarian-exodus.html

Good stuff @Mcgyver, first rate of you to find that and post it.

Much appreciated.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Someone better get that shaper - you can easily flip it in Calgary for well over 1000. Heck if it was not so far away I would send my parents with a trailer and gotten most of stuff there - even at 50% - 100% more then current price 15min out.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
what a miserable format. Once closed, you can't see the price and they don't keep resorting items by how long is left....so you end up with things with 10 secs left all over the page, no way you could keep up. One of the better tool collections I've seen auctioned, and bar none the worst run auction I've ever seen

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Myford 2000
Quorum 800
Maximat 1500
shaper 500

This is like the most annyonying auction ever - lot extension is per bid of 90s even if multiple ones happen - so they accumulate. So if you bid 5 times == 7.5 ext. Other auction do not extend like that, they extend in last min only up to a limit - so item when it starts low does not last forever.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
OK won few micrometers. Was way too chicken to buy heavy stuff as I do not want to bother people on this list too much. I hope someone will pick these up and drop them off in the mail for me. Anyone wants to volunteer? PM me.