• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hey Guys!!! I dare you to find a better auction than this….. Starts Tomorrow.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
telling you how far off zero you are, no?

On a dial indicator, it is only measuring 'one side of the micrometer'.... There is no absolute zero reference. Using a dial indicator (or test indicator), a surface plate, and a gauge block stack, you can make 'referred' measurements that resemble absolute measurements, but - no dial indicator can ever get a direct reading of an absolute measurement, just relative ones.

(I hope I made sense here)...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I should add that due to SIN error, even the readings on all dial and test indicators are not usually very accurate, just 'nearly what is on the dial'

gmihovics

Garrett
I picked up a few things, got the overly expensive air compressor and the tilt table. I really wanted that Atlas mill but I could justify sending my friends to pick it up without me. That and I already spent so much on the other two lots haha

gmihovics

Garrett
I must admit knowing it went to someone in the forum did ease the pain a little bit.

I like the idea of being able to cut gears, have no real need to do so right now but one day I'll pick up a mill and the tools.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
is it just me or is that guy asking a lot even for his part listings?

I have fun trading tools and probably think about this stuff more than is healthy. Its a bit of sport; meetin lots of interesting folk, building up my collection and at the same time markets and their behaviour are interesting to me.

I wouldn't say his prices are overly high. Compare his prices to completed sales on ebay. In lumpy markets there can be a huge spread between the bid and the ask (think penny stock vs GE); he's just playing that. There is one price if you just have to sell today (auction) and another if you can wait 12 months until the guy who really wants it comes along. Hitting the bid or taking the offer as they say :).

I haven't made him a study, but my sense from noticing his ads is he drop prices after a short while if it doesn't sell, start a bit high and lower it if he's wrong. I prefer the price it right and wait approach - for such a lumpy market, whether price is right or wrong is often just a question of time.

Last edited:

gmihovics

Garrett
I have fun trading tools and probably think about this stuff more than is healthy. Its a bit of sport; meetin lots of interesting folk, building up my collection and at the same time markets and their behaviour are interesting to me.

I wouldn't say his prices are overly high. Compare his prices to completed sales on ebay. In lumpy markets there can be a huge spread between the bid and the ask (think penny stock vs GE); he's just playing that. There is one price if you just have to sell today (auction) and another if you can wait 12 months until the guy who really wants it comes along. Hitting the bid or taking the offer as they say :).

I haven't made him a study, but my sense from noticing his ads is he drop prices after a short while if it doesn't sell, start a bit high and lower it if he's wrong. I prefer the price it right and wait approach - for such a lumpy market, whether price is right or wrong is often just a question of time.

makes a lot of sense when you think about it that way. I've been watching him for a while since he has a bunch of MyFord stuff up but I just haven't seen anything I feel is a good deal just yet. I'll have to track his ads a little more and see what happens.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Frankly, I doubt that buying from him is a good way to buy a good machine. This is like a side job for him. He makes money buying for less than its worth and selling for more than its worth. He is probably also pretty good at hiding flaws. I think the best path is probably to buy stuff before he finds it.

As others on here have said, find what you want and then run - (don't walk) - with an envelope of cash. If you hesitate, it will be gone before you get there.

It's probably worth following him to get a feeling for what is happening in that market though.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Also be well aware of current market prices for materials etc.

Some guy on Face Book is selling aluminum off cuts as his business closed. He has already made his money from the pieces from other customers paying for it, however, he is charging new, certified aluminum prices. I could see perhaps 2x scrap price per Kg but not full market value. I wouldn't take scraps from a cabinet job and charge you a percentage of a new sheet of plywood for something I want gone and probably will burn ..... doesn't seen justifiable to me.

Perhaps that is why I am not rich...... LOL

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
2X scrap is what i am prepared to pay for scrap material... I get hundreds of pounds of steel and aluminum from 2 shops in my area for free or nearly free by not being too much of a bother, and asking politely.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
2X scrap is what i am prepared to pay for scrap material... I get hundreds of pounds of steel and aluminum from 2 shops in my area for free or nearly free by not being too much of a bother, and asking politely.

They see me coming and before I can even darken the doorway, o_Othe closed sign goes up! If I listen quietly, I can hear voices inside whispering to each other ......

I wish they would just put their scrap outside with a donation pot.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks @kevin.decelles , I get the drift. Wayne has 85 listings on Kijiji alone. A gazzillion parts and accessories sold separately. Prolly trying desperately to make money parting up things and buying and selling. Not a business I'd ever want to be in.