Hey Guys!!! I dare you to find a better auction than this….. Starts Tomorrow.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Just over 3 days to go and prices are very low with many lots having no bids at all. It feels that some sets of tools are going for LESS then a box of used drill bits. Certainly this is under advertised in machinist world. I hope people offering to help with shipping will not back off in case I go and buy some stuff.

This shop appears to be located in a basement. Pickup is the Friday/Saturday after the sale. The auctioneer running this is a hot mess.

What are the chances that pickup will go smoothly?

Craig

Would be interesting to see how the heavy stuff like the mill and shaper get removed from the basement! I suppose the auctioneer will expect the buyer to do this in a few minutes?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The shaper is same one I have - I think Prema 13" is around 1200 lbs or so. His is nicer as he fitted to it automatic oiler! I am looking at adding to mine drip oilers similar to the stuff that is for lathes (like say 100ml oilers)

Auctioneer does offer shipping but I wonder how much it is - some may be honest and charge Canada Post posted rate but some may add "packaging fee".

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I had started bidding on the shaper but walked away after I found out how heavy it is! I’m going to have a hard enough time getting my Standard Modern into the basement….. imagine that beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, yes, its not light weight - but you can take it apart - you can certainly remove the cast base & then the rest is rather compact. You can remove the box as well and now it is large dog sized. I am guessing still very heavy - like at least 800 lbs.

I may bid on a few odds and sods. Am local as well. Will to help others as well.
What a collection !! Astounding.

I do love how EVERYTHING. Is ‘machinist this or that’

here we have a lovely machinist broom and dust pan. ;)

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I'm sure they'll show as much care packing items for transit as they have in the other aspects of this auction.[/snark]
Craig

I sent the auctioneer a message asking for a shipping quote for the shaper to my postal code. I have not heard back lol

Crosche

Super User
I'm in Hamilton even closer than @trlvn but also would rather not get involved with large heavy machines. If it can be transported by car I could do it.

I have a couple of bids in on some of the smaller items. Any chance you might be able to help me out if shipping with this outfit isn't as seamless as they advertise?

I certainly would be willing to pick up items for others and ship them to you if you are willing to cover the shipping cost. Also I don't know what the protocol is for someone else to pick up your stuff for you. You have to work that out with the auctioneer and provide me with any necessary papers. If you wish to go this route let me know ASAP after the auction is finished. If I have any winning bids of my own I will be inclined to pick them up sooner rather than later.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It saddens me to see a lifelong collection of wonderful tools like that being sold in such a sloppy manner. I think I need to sit down and come up with a plan so my stuff finds good homes when I'm gone.

Please keep us posted on how this idea of yours evolves. My life is full of special interests and I have been wondering how I could help my wife and children more effectively after I am gone.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They appear to be Quorn accessories divided from the parent unit. Disgraceful.

I think there must be different cultures in different parts of the country. I go to a LOT of farm auctions. That's how I buy most of my equipment. I've never seen or even suspected anything of being sabotaged.

But auctioneers are another matter. I once bought a planter at a farm estate auction for 20k only to discover later that the metering plates and the electronic monitor - which were all sitting on the planter without lot numbers - were being auctioned separately. Fortunately, they were pretty useless without the planter so I got them at a good price. But I sure was pissed off about it. Later that same day, the local Deere dealer found out that I had bought the planter and offered me 45k for it - so I got pretty happy pretty quick even though I didn't sell it. It's been a really good planter for me and was well worth the price I paid.

What makes this story even more interesting is that I had already put a deposit on another older planter at a planter repair specialty shop. The salesman I had worked with was in the crowd that day and DID NOT bid against me. In fact, he even gave me a credit for parts and supplies in exchange for my deposit. Yes, there are honourable people out there.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I have a couple of bids in on some of the smaller items. Any chance you might be able to help me out if shipping with this outfit isn't as seamless as they advertise?

Maybe I was the last to find out but Canada Post's flat rate boxes are the most economical way to send something across the country. Weight must be less than 5 kg regardless of the size of box, though. Includes tracking.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/flat-rate-box.page

Craig

I read anything I could and see ZERO mention of the basement location.
That seems to be kept on the down low. That’s shady

poor little shaper isn’t even going to get scrap weight.
I’d be a little scared as the home owner about damages from a rushed removal of heavy equipment

only two days for that much stuff out of a basement is asking a lot

Also If anyone local buys a big piece of equipment and needs to load it in truck I’ve got my jumbo hoist/shop Crane.
Lift point to about 8’ in current set up. Can get most stuff in a truck bet. Nearly anything on a trailer (used to load/unload Bridgeport with it.
Cant really drive it for you my trailer is a atv/utility trailer abs I’m not sure I’d trust the floor to too much iron lol

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I read anything I could and see ZERO mention of the basement location.
That seems to be kept on the down low. That’s shady

poor little shaper isn’t even going to get scrap weight.
I’d be a little scared as the home owner about damages from a rushed removal of heavy equipment

only two days for that much stuff out of a basement is asking a lot

Ya, that's shady for sure. If his wife is like my wife, she just wants it all gone and is hoping to raise enough cash to redo the place as a dragon lady's lair.

Many of the photos make it abundantly clear that it's a basement.

I wish I could just buy everything I like bbut that isn't gunna happen. So I'd like to bid on a few pieces. Hamilton is 3.5 hours from here so I'm trying desperately to get ahold of them to see what "shipping available" means.

Might need help from a friend......

Crosche

Super User
Ya, that's shady for sure. If his wife is like my wife, she just wants it all gone and is hoping to raise enough cash to redo the place as a dragon lady's lair.

Many of the photos make it abundantly clear that it's a basement.

I wish I could just buy everything I like bbut that isn't gunna happen. So I'd like to bid on a few pieces. Hamilton is 3.5 hours from here so I'm trying desperately to get ahold of them to see what "shipping available" means.

Might need help from a friend......

Yeah, the "shipping available" part has me worried too; they don't exactly spell out what that service entails. I don't think just dumping something heavy like a lathe chuck into a flimsy cardboard box and handing it to UPS meets proper shipping criteria for any legitimate couriers. That's IF they even provide a cardboard box! lol