• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dabblings

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
What I'd do.
I always use decking screws. They are made for trailer decking and are not wimpy like self tapping screws. They are hardened 1/4" x 24 thread self tapping and about 2.5" long. You drill 7/32" holes through the wood and steel and then use a drill or impact to drive them through. Lasts for many years. Every 53ft highboy rolling down the highway uses the same screws.
When the wood rots off, because they are hardened, you take a hammer and smoke them sideways and they break off, lay your planks and drive the new screws in.
I used these to frame the inside of my steel frame shop with 2x4 prior to insulating.
Didn't even need to pre drill. Awesome screws.

mbond

Premium Member
In that case I would super simplify the job...lay the new planks (no screws) and then over-strap in two or three spots with 1/8 x 2" flat bar and weld the ends to the outside frame rails, those planks will never shift & the 1/8 thickness will be almost unnoticeable in use...done in 2 hrs!!
This seems like the best solution to me too. This will also reinforce the frame a bit. You don't even need to weld if you use some through bolts. The biggest thing to pay attention to is making sure the gaps between the boards are as small as possible

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Time for an update... Since September I've been in off-and-on discussions with a local machine shop. They knew they would be forced to move, but held out hope the new property owners would be good enough to stay for another couple of years.

(this is the shop I got Tom Kitta a FREE 22" X 80" 10HP lathe)

I offered to buy the stock that was on their rack they haven't used in a long time, and would rather not move to the new digs. I named a budget, and said let's pile it up until you think it is right for the budget. I specifically asked for a 24' 4 X 6 X 3/16 I beam that has been at the side of the building for about 8 years now. After it was piled up, I agreed to pay him the price, and he kept piling on more after the deal was done, including 20+ feet of 416 stainless rod 3/4" in diameter (!).

The first installment of the steel as featured in post #132. It totaled about 700 lbs of msc steel. I had offered to add some more money if they had another pile, but they called me back and said take anything in that pile over *there*... (for free) Many thanks to @Crosche who, at last minute, came and helped me lift the heavier pieces! Here is Part 2:
20240618_212005.jpg

The two tubes at the right are 6' X 5" X 1/2" wall... 150 lbs each! All in all, about another 600 lbs - I may well have a steel give-away coming up soon!

*** The Best news is *** they are going to put a box near their door at the new location, for CHMW members to pick when they accumulate enough cut offs. A great day indeed! Time to make a new rack for the stuff I want to keep!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I love deals like that. I showed up once to buy some surplus steel plates, and ended up taking the backroads home riding the bumpstops after those famous last words "what else do you want to get rid of" had me load up a big pile of steel in the corner for free :D.

A bin to pick from outside sounds like a great idea.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Is there anything there with an ID of 120mm? Recall I want to replace the ACME screw post on my mill with a ball screw.
1718998086116.png

Smaller OD is possible as I could weld a flange onto it but here's the part I need to make.
1718998197632.png

This is what would slip into the top. That I could cast out of Aluminum.
1718998279897.png

No idea what a piece of thick wall pipe about 300mm long would cost if I tried to get it from Metal Supermarket.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Are those African? One book (fiction) that I have mentions them. But I realize they could have been imported to Africa too

I believe Chuckars are originally native to the Middle East. I could be wrong. The trouble is that they are raised and released everywhere as a game bird as well as for dog training. They are fairly hardy little birds quite a bit more disease resistant than quail. That means that there are feral populations all over the world so it's hard to say where they are really native to.