• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dabblings

Get well soon @Dabbler, I too have been off for a couple of days, seemed like a mild cold, but with aces and moving pains in/around joints and in muscles. As I am prone to anmonea, I try to be careful in these cases, do as possible to keep it out of the lungs.
Sounds like you have found a deal @Garyt, or you are doing shop cleaning as a side line! LOL.....
@JustaDB has seen my shop! ( clean up/organize/put away/throw out,(no,no not that)) -- there is now also a model "A" roadster in it tooooooo. A rat? rod, to be a rat rod, note, not mine, to stay not mine!
I know, pictures would be great. But as my phone is android?, it don't seem to work that easy for me, and as most/all my posting is done with an old apple tablet which posts pictures here without? problems but is never at the shop with me.
Ah, the problems of the retired! I was tired yesterday, and I am tired today!

Last edited:
Get well soon @Dabbler, I too have been off for a couple of days, seemed like a mild cold, but with aces and moving pains in/around joints and in muscles. As I am prone to anmonea, I try to be careful in these cases, do as possible to keep it out of the lungs.
Sounds like you have found a deal @Garyt, or you are doing shop cleaning as a side line! LOL.....
@JustaDB has seen my shop! ( clean up/organize/put away/throw out,(no,no not that)) -- there is now also a model "A" roadster in it tooooooo. A rat? rod, to be a rat rod, note, not mine, to stay not mine!
I know, pictures would be great. But as my phone is android?, it don't seem to work that easy for me, and as most/all my posting is done with an old apple tablet which posts pictures here without? problems but is never at the shop with me.
Ah, the problems of the retired! I was tired yesterday, and I am tired today!
Soon people in my house think I already have too many sidelines.

Still coughing, but that will go on for another couple of months. Features well in the grocery store, when the other customers think I have Covid. I'm not wearing a mask as it is choking on the refill and blows the mask out on the outgo. Yes, coughing that bad. sigh. Only a couple of bouts a day, but damned inconvenient at the store!!!

Just as I was starting to feel better, sidewalk blocks became available. Well I had to chase down the homeowner (he works a lot), but finally I got the go-ahead to take 34 older sidewalk blocks. I have a project in my yard that could use 50 more, so this is a money-saving godsend. The only catch: I had to get them gone quickly. So over the last 3 days, while coughing, I moved them into the truck, and then into my front yard.

Next week: the back yard!

Can infections like that be transmitted by phone? Shortly after the last time we talked, the hairy farm ended up on antibiotics too. Strept throat and bad chest congestion. No pneumonia yet.......

Broncitious seems to go with it too, wife has been hacking over 2 weeks now, I get the coughing now and again, managed to mostly keep it out of my lungs. Big doses of vitamin C seem to help some people. There were 2 days of down time,took it easy for another 2 just cause. Been a week and1/2.
Hope all get better soon! Air conditioning seems to make the coughing worse for some.
Some of this crap seems to have gotten worse since/with covid.

Can infections like that be transmitted by phone? Shortly after the last time we talked, the hairy farm ended up on antibiotics too. Strept throat and bad chest congestion. No pneumonia yet.......
Hopefully you are up to date with the pneumonia vaccines. I just got over a week of a cold that had runny nose, sneezes, headache but no real coughing. It threatened to do like in the past and head in to my lungs but ever since I had both types of pneumonia vaccines I no longer get as sick as I used to.

A week later my wife's nose started running so that puts a bit of a time line on incubation but still no idea where I got it from.

not yet. I couldn't have them earlier this year, as I've had several infections this year. I put it off due to the $180 cost -each- Once I am clear if this it is def on the plan, regardless of cost.

not yet. I couldn't have them earlier this year, as I've had several infections this year. I put it off due to the $180 cost -each- Once I am clear if this it is def on the plan, regardless of cost.
My wife (Drug Dealer A.K.A. Pharmacist) says here in BC the Pneumovax is covered by BC Health. The Prevnar is about $120. You don't need both. I went for both simply because when I did get a cold it headed straight into my lungs. Best thing I ever did.

There's something called humoral immunity which is strengthened by vaccines. So the more vaccines you have the more likely you will be able to fight an unknown pathogen. It's not completely proven but why take the risk. Especially if some of the vaccines are free or not super expensive.

So silly. One person in Hospital with pneumonia costs more than probably covering the vaccine for people over 60 for free.
For what it is worth, there exist a group of medicines that can be much more effective. I found out about them when I was undergoing cancer treatment. The costs are exorbitant, and when they describe a side effect as 'bone pain' hold on to your socks.

I hope you all feel better soon

I could write a book on pneumonia. Had it 10 times, every 6 months. If I had believed in this 'free" medical system I would be dead. In Mexico in 2014 I was so sick I never realized I was in a Hospital for 4 days. They had me on 4 intravenous drugs at the same time, and managed to knock it out. I was down for 10 days and ended up getting a DVT with a pulmonary embolism from being down so long. I was given anti clotting stuff but not enough. I was put in ICU on a stroke clotbuster. Another 10 days out of my life, but I never had a cold since and no pneumonia ever. This year I got the walking pneumonia.
Total cost for excellent care and cure was $19,000CDN. Cheapest cure I ever had.

... I'm feeling a lot better yesterday and today. The heat has added some stress, so recovery was slower than hoped ...

I meant to do a thread from the Ontario trip. I had lined up a bunch of purchases and pick-ups while visiting shops.
A lot of people did me big favours by picking up stuff in Ontario that were unheard of deals here out mid-west.

In no particular order:

@That-Guy offered some horizontal cutters, which I was able to share with John Nielsen and Tom Kitta. Very generous of him all three of us are very grateful! (the photo shows the ones that I ended up with)

That-Guy cutters.jpg

Susqiuatch got me a great deal on a 10" D1-6 chuck: (the rust is from the trip home, superficial)

D1-6-chuck.jpg

@gerritv sold me some Starret stuff: Vee blocks, .0005 test indicator, universal bevel protractor, starrett ruler, edge finder, adapter for rulers to make a square, and a base for a bench centre. Thanks @gerritv !!

Garrett-stuff.jpg

@ Rauce passed on to me an auction find that has been on my "if I ever..." list for a long time, a Mitutoyo test stand:

Rauce-stand.jpg

When I visited @Martin w he gifted me a quick change chuck for milling, milling cutters and MT taper reamers WOW!!!

Martin1.jpg Martin-2.jpg

A friend I have known for 50 years found this on the next door front lawn for free, so he snagged brought them to my hotel:

Paul-vises.jpg

I was very privileged to be invited to a lot of people's shops, and I'm grateful for everyone's hospitality. and thanks again for contributing to my metalworking predilection! I really appreciate it!

I haven't updated for a while. Just after getting the steel I caught bronchitis. lasted 2 weeks. Now our family is down with COVID. sigh. Hard to get much work done from bed.

I have several projects started (and taking space) as well as a clearing project to move equipment around. it'll have to wait until everyone is better!

Hopefully that won’t take too long. I’ve been lucky with the Covid as far as I know I’ve never had it, I did get the vaccinations though otherwise I wouldn’t be able to see my late brother due to his lung issues.

Back