• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dabblings

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@RobinHood & @140mower - you two characters must think I can weld. I can stick stuff together, but those cross member rails would all become weld puddles.

Paint the rails and put the deck board on quick, take back off, holes MIGHT show up for drilling.

This might work but not by painting - at least not for me. By the time I finished painting, the start of the job would have been dry for several months. However, I could make some "special nails" with sharp heads that slip into all the holes for each board, slip the board in, and then walk on it. This would leave divots for where to drill from the bottom up.

Then drill the board at the marks, pull all the special nails from the rails, and screw in the boards. I like it!

I agree that those lugs screws, are junk. But using bandits idea, they just need to screw in, they don't need to pre-drill.

No offense but, at your age is it really a problem ?

You are spot on. But I'm not wired that way. I'd prefer it was fixed before she pushes me into the hole.

Procrastinating wouldn't work either. I can just see it now. I'm standing beside my hole clutching my favorite Dewalt Impact Gun, the wife starts running from a dozen feet back, and then I scream "WAIT - I NEED TO FIX THE FLATBED FIRST!!!". The only skid marks she will leave behind will be from accelerating not from trying to stop. And I'm not even a lawyer or a skunk!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Not even sure HOW TO DO IT!
In your case & having a front end loader on your tractor that would lift the trailer from one side...I would brace the trailer upright on its side so i could work from both sides, place one board where it belongs and then drill from existing holes thru the board so everything is lined up for the new screw.

and ya I think Bandit is right on the birds ,those are Hungarians, common in Calgary....Ptarmigan will be above timber line 80 miles west.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for trying to sus it out!

Your "Sus it out" got me to download and zoom in on the photos. But @YYCHM beat me to it. They are Chukars. Commonly used for training bird dogs and sometimes on game farms. I've used them myself quite often when I was training and judging bird dogs.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Nailed it! I was going through photos of gallinaceous birds of Alberta (basically, game birds) and none of them fit. Interestingly, chukars don't show up in any of the Alberta bird lists I accessed, even the rare sightings ones.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Nailed it! I was going through photos of gallinaceous birds of Alberta (basically, game birds) and none of them fit. Interestingly, chukars don't show up in any of the Alberta bird lists I accessed, even the rare sightings ones.

They aren't native to Alberta. Imported for various purposes. Some escape and survive (for a bit).

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Good idea. But sadly the frame is box tubing. Can't drill from the bottom.
In that case I would super simplify the job...lay the new planks (no screws) and then over-strap in two or three spots with 1/8 x 2" flat bar and weld the ends to the outside frame rails, those planks will never shift & the 1/8 thickness will be almost unnoticeable in use...done in 2 hrs!!

Ironman

Ultra Member
IMHO...... Just weld the old holes closed, grind them smooth, paint, and re-deck. I think it will be quicker and easier in the long run. I found those self drilling, self tapping screws worked 2 outta 3 times without melting the drill point, I wound up pre drilling a starter hole and things went much better.... I did mine last spring, as I could put it off no longer....
My 2 cents worth which probably isn't worth a tinkers darn. :rolleyes:
What I'd do.
I always use decking screws. They are made for trailer decking and are not wimpy like self tapping screws. They are hardened 1/4" x 24 thread self tapping and about 2.5" long. You drill 7/32" holes through the wood and steel and then use a drill or impact to drive them through. Lasts for many years. Every 53ft highboy rolling down the highway uses the same screws.
When the wood rots off, because they are hardened, you take a hammer and smoke them sideways and they break off, lay your planks and drive the new screws in.

BaitMaster

Super User
There definitely is a better grade of self tapper available…… we have a variety of them, they look galvanized almost, not just shiny zinc plated. They also are made out of insanely hard steel. Hard enough we use them to drill through stainless. Hard enough they dented the cutting edges on my D2000 Klein Linesman pliers, which are rated for bolt cutting. They have a 5/16” hex head. Self tappers are definitely not made equal.