• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dabblings

There's currently a resurgence of covid in our area. Cases way up and vaccine in short supply. I've lost a few friends, my BIL was hospitalized for over a month and nearly went blind. I've had all my shots, I even paid to get the shingles vaccine before Medicare started covering it. I'm old enough to remember lining up to get polio vaccine shots, before the oral vaccine on sugar cubes. Whenever I'm getting the latest, I ask the pharmacist "What else ya got?"
I'm with you and have the same issues. Don't forget the Pneumonia vaccines. Those made the world of difference for what happens to me if I get even a simple cold or case of the flu. And even with the COVID vaccines I tested positive last fall but it was mild and never went into my lungs so more just an inconvenience. I was two months overdue on my booster while my wife was in the middle of her boost cycle and didn't get it.

This particular one keeps mutating. As in the book "Ministry for the Future" by Kim Stanley Robinson, The combination of these heat bubbles, abnormally accelerated climate change and a virus like COVID. It's SciFi but disturbing as it came out at the same time as COVID and just after we had our heat bubble here in Victoria.

I'm with you and have the same issues. Don't forget the Pneumonia vaccines. Those made the world of difference for what happens to me if I get even a simple cold or case of the flu. And even with the COVID vaccines I tested positive last fall but it was mild and never went into my lungs so more just an inconvenience. I was two months overdue on my booster while my wife was in the middle of her boost cycle and didn't get it.

This particular one keeps mutating. As in the book "Ministry for the Future" by Kim Stanley Robinson, The combination of these heat bubbles, abnormally accelerated climate change and a virus like COVID. It's SciFi but disturbing as it came out at the same time as COVID and just after we had our heat bubble here in Victoria.
Yeah I paid for shingles vaccine, and have had all my boosters for covid except this spring since they didn't include my age group and since I thought we'd get good summer lull and since I dont go anywhere indoors with groups. But that reminds me I need a pneumonia vaccine, and a RSV vaccine.

Autoimmune disorders make a patient very prone to cytokine storms that cause most covid deaths

There's currently a resurgence of covid in our area. Cases way up and vaccine in short supply. I've lost a few friends, my BIL was hospitalized for over a month and nearly went blind. I've had all my shots, I even paid to get the shingles vaccine before Medicare started covering it. I'm old enough to remember lining up to get polio vaccine shots, before the oral vaccine on sugar cubes. Whenever I'm getting the latest, I ask the pharmacist "What else ya got?"
I remember those and the glass of juice and smoke on the way back to class.

Gosh. The Polio vaccine. I still have a faint circle from getting it in grade 3.

For those not in the know, it used to be administered by dipping a delivery end in the vaccine liquid. the business end was either 11 or 13 needles in a 5.8" circle. Everybody got the same needles, and they were disinfected between uses over a small natural gas flame.

... and it hurt, even with the external xylocane they wiped on your arm less than a minute before zapping you!

(now I wonder it it was the TB vaccine...)

I don’t remember a gang of needles like that, if I remember correctly it was one needle but the blister created was huge.

I looked it up, but could not find a picture of the contraption. It roughly looked like a 2 arm wine decorker, In our case, it was for TB.

...after a little looking it turns out it was a Heaf test, so see how many kids were exposed to TB. The test was called the BCG test... EVERYBODY got the test. Turns out it was only 6 needles, but at 8 years old it looked like a lot more!!!

Here's a picture of the Heaf gun:

Heaf gun.webp

Gosh. The Polio vaccine. I still have a faint circle from getting it in grade 3.

For those not in the know, it used to be administered by dipping a delivery end in the vaccine liquid. the business end was either 11 or 13 needles in a 5.8" circle. Everybody got the same needles, and they were disinfected between uses over a small natural gas flame.

... and it hurt, even with the external xylocane they wiped on your arm less than a minute before zapping you!

(now I wonder it it was the TB vaccine...)
the smallpox vaccine is the one that leaves the big scar... real old timers have two or three.

I dont have any because I'm naturally immune.

I don’t remember a gang of needles like that, if I remember correctly it was one needle but the blister created was huge.

I recall the same as @Dabbler. A whole gang of needles. The blister scabbed up and then fell off unless you picked at it.

So how does one become naturally immune to smallpox?
Did both parents have it and recover prior to your birth?
between 30-40% mortality rate depending on the population, but still plenty of victims in the US and survivors that could pass down genetic based resistance at higher level than the average population. Or it could just be random genetic factor. I sure dont know family history of smallpox back in the late 1800s.

I just know I had repeated smallpox jabs as a kid and never had a reaction, no scabbing of the vaccination site, and no scarring

None of my smallpox vaccinations had much of a reaction either. Just the skin irritation of the motherload of fluid they pump into your arm (in the 1960s)

the smallpox vaccine is the one that leaves the big scar... real old timers have two or three.

I dont have any because I'm naturally immune.
My oldest sister has an egg allergy. Since the smallpox vaccine is grown in eggs it would never take for her. As an older adult she was working in a cancer research lab and had to have all her shots up to date and the shot finally took. Between the allergic reaction and the vaccine it was so painful she was ready to get her arm cut off.

Please keep in mind ,there has been some other "stuff" going around too. Wife came down with fairly bad ear infection, in hand with glands and sinuses infected too. Doctor said quite a few people had been in with much the same thing.

Good news, wow that's a long old haul eh? My kids are back in school now and already one is home sick with something. I'm hoping like hell I can avoid it. I'm overdue for covid vaccination but it sounds like if we can wait for the updated vaccine arriving October we should.

Back