• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Current Off Shore Order ETDs

Brent H

Ultra Member
Interesting @PeterT - I just got burned on the last 2 purchases - I will get the fee's back but now pretty leery of my overseas adventures......dang..

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
And I’ve had only good experiences.
So strange. Clearly not all vendors are the same.
I just bought a 4-jaw chuck for my rotary table. Seller gave me 5% off and I should have it in five days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This finally got delivered today......

2NDVFD.JPG

Sheesh.... ordered Oct 15 and shipped via EPacket. At least the manual is in English and there is no visible damage.

Estimated delivery was: Nov 01 - Nov 11 16-26 days

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
And it appears to be DOA...…..:mad:

DOA.JPG

Nothing... not a single led or a running fan.... Nothing....DEAD :mad::mad:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It's ALIVE.....

2NDVFDALIVE.JPG

I gave the side a tap with the screw driver handle and got some action, but it's behaving in a very erratic fashion.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Check power input/output power pins for a cold solder joint or a loose internal connection - the controller is typically connected with a thin ribbon cable and these can be painful if not all the way on

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Check power input/output power pins for a cold solder joint or a loose internal connection - the controller is typically connected with a thin ribbon cable and these can be painful if not all the way on

Well, it's not a problem with my wiring. Something is shorting or breaking contact internally. Runs for a bit and then blinks out and then I have to give it another tap to get it going again. Abused during shipping? I've contacted the seller to see what they can do about it. Not really usable in it's current state.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So I contacted the seller and he insisted I send him a video of the issue. I sent him a video of a dead VFD being brought to life with the tap of a screw driver handle. This was after two evenings of AliExpress chat at 8+ PM local time. After seeing the video, he offered to send a replacement if I paid the shipping cost ($26 CDN via EPacket) and said not to bother returning the faulty unit.

Hmmmm was this worth it or not, my $86 VFD has morphed into a $112 VFD?

Well... I agreed after a third evening AliExpress chat, paid the $26 and now we are back to square one. Lets see what the delivery time is this go around:rolleyes:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The saga continues...…….. this conversation was started Yesterday 16:27

HTB1f58GKwHqK1RjSZFg7617JXXam.png

The replacement VFD has been in a "Packed for picking-up." tracking state since the 11th of Dec. Where is it?
Read

HTB1Ih7oboLrK1Rjy1zb763enFXar.png

1.If we can not reply you in time,because we are in sleeping;we will reply you at beijing(+8 time area) time next morning +9:00,If you have not received your item more than 35 days,please contact us,do not open dispute,if under 5 usd item,we will resend you or refund you.You can also send a message to my email: junchengjht@163.com

2.Be carefull Choose China Post Shipping,Sometimes Your Parcel will be lost,It will waste your time,Buyer Should be Charge of Clearing Customs Duty or Tax; In particular, DHL, UPS, TNT,Fedex,Aramex,DPEX;Keep mobile phone be Calling, So that Customs or Logitics staff can Call you in time,Otherwise Item Maybe be destroyed, Though, your money and time will be wasted

Yesterday 18:48

Hello
Read

Yesterday 19:27

Has it been shipped or not?
Read

Yesterday 20:22

No response will force me to issue a dispute on both the original VFD order and the shipping charge for the replacement VFD.
Read

Yesterday 22:55

11 PM Canada time now.... I'm Disappointed in your service.
Read

04:07

朋友,明天早上我给你准确答复。
My friend, I will give you an accurate reply tomorrow morning.
Alibaba Translation

负责发货的仓库工作人员一直没有回复我。
The warehouse staff in charge of delivery has not replied to me.
Alibaba Translation

19:00

What did your delivery staff have to say?
Read

19:21

送货员说,你的包裹因为安检检测出带有电路板,不能发走
The deliveryman said that your package could not be sent away because of the circuit board detected by security check.
Alibaba Translation

或许我们可以更换速卖通标准运输
Maybe we can change AliExpress standard transportation
Alibaba Translation

但是速卖通标准运输是线上物流,目前我们无法创建,需要你再新建一个订单
However, AliExpress standard transportation is online logistics, we cannot create it at present, and you need to create a new order.
Alibaba Translation

Production Information

Extra Fee for add 0.01 usd
US $0.01

如果没什么问题,我们今天会再次尝试发出
If there is no problem, we will try to send it again today.
Alibaba Translation

19:46

I'm not putting $0.01 US on my credit card. Send it out today and provide me the tracking number. If you can't do that then I want a refund.
Read

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then there was silence...….

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So Tues Dec 22 I opened an AliExpress dispute with the seller requesting a full refund for both the defective VFD and the extra $26 CDN to ship a replacement. The seller immediately agreed to refund the $26 but I still haven't seen that yet. On the 23rd AliExpress got involved with the VFD dispute and arranged for a full refund if I shipped the defective VFD back. They provided a free CP shipping label to send the VFD to Chilliwack BC of all places. Apparently the refund would be issued once the VFD delivery is confirmed which should be Dec 31st.

What a gong show this turned out to be:eek:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
As of today..... Jan 1.... AliExpress has issued a full refund at no cost to me. Sheesh.... I started this Oct 15.

Now to decide if I want to attempt this all again with a different seller.....:rolleyes:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
You have a positive start to the new year!:)
What about a local supplier? I know the cost will be more but at least you talk with someone and they can provide support.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
For what it's worth I've bought two Teco VFDs from emotorsdirect.ca and have had excellent experience both times.
I could not imagine the frustration of waiting for two months and then have the thing be DOA.