• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Current Off Shore Order ETDs

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Indeed. I took a leap of faith because it was only $200 including tail stock and dividing plates.
If it's awful I'll rebuild it.

What size and what brand? The one I had was a SOBA.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
No brand but as far as I can tell they are all pretty much identical.
It is really an experiment.
Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.56.39 PM.png

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I'm reading this book now called, "The Box — How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger." You wouldn't think a 400 page economic history of Sea-Cans could be so interesting, yet I'm enjoying it. I love micro-history and learning about stuff others don't care about until they realize how it changed the whole world.

It doesn't fix your shipping pain, but it sure enlightened me about how complicated the shipping world was (and still can be) as it tries to get your inserts across an ocean so you can have fun in your shop :)

View attachment 11464
I ordered that book tonight, I’ve read a bit about it before and I think it will prove to be a great read
Also I tend to believe you won’t steer a guy wrong

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So now CP appears to have misplaced my package.....:(

1606756591805.png

I'm wondering if it got sent back to China for some reason???

Johnwa

Ultra Member
It hasn’t been released from customs yet.
Here‘s one I have coming. It’s a small package and made it through customs in one day.

Origin:
2020-11-25 17:51, BURNABY,BC, Item processed
2020-11-25 09:40, VANCOUVER,BC, Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing
2020-11-24 16:10, RICHMOND,BC, Shipment picked up by Canada Post
2020-11-18 17:10, Electronic information submitted by shipper
======================================
Powered by www.17track.net

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It hasn’t been released from customs yet.
Here‘s one I have coming. It’s a small package and made it through customs in one day.

Origin:
2020-11-25 17:51, BURNABY,BC, Item processed
2020-11-25 09:40, VANCOUVER,BC, Item was released by Customs and is now with Canada Post for processing
2020-11-24 16:10, RICHMOND,BC, Shipment picked up by Canada Post
2020-11-18 17:10, Electronic information submitted by shipper
======================================
Powered by www.17track.net

That's what it appears to be, but why stalled in customs for a week now? It's a VFD.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Customs doesn't care what it it. Well... they care if its a bad thing, or an expensive thing. But I mean your parcel goes through the same evaluation process as thousands of other deliveries every day. I just received some low $ value, small shipping box cutting tools. It has been in-country for +2 weeks, probably majority of that time in customs holding pattern and/or Canada Post. But with increasing demands of holiday season, Covid issues... its not like you have many options. BTW some go through unopened, some random ones get opened... whether you get a duty/tax bill is kind of a variable thing too.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My rotary table arrived very quickly via DHL and had been opened.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
TIS the season for delays . I get my mail in town, and the lady at the post office will go days without ANY parcels from Canada post. That’s for everyone 3000+ people

There are definitely processing delays or holds applied....... add a union or two and a holiday season......

I’m ordering stuff now that I expect to need in feb (carbides / end mills)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent H

Ultra Member
As an FYI if you pay on Aliexpress with PayPal it is changed over to AliPay and they take the payment as "Cash Advance" against your credit card . You then get hit with a $5 "Cash Advance Fee" on top of all the other charges. Since it is your credit card provider hitting you up for the cost there is not a lot of support from PayPal or AliExpress to get this refunded. My VISA said they would refund the cost - Just be aware that AliExpress has this hidden back fee that just started a few months ago - Lots of calls to VISA from other people

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
As an FYI if you pay on Aliexpress with PayPal it is changed over to AliPay and they take the payment as "Cash Advance" against your credit card . You then get hit with a $5 "Cash Advance Fee" on top of all the other charges. Since it is your credit card provider hitting you up for the cost there is not a lot of support from PayPal or AliExpress to get this refunded. My VISA said they would refund the cost - Just be aware that AliExpress has this hidden back fee that just started a few months ago - Lots of calls to VISA from other people
Is that the case even if you have your PayPal account set with bank info as primary vs credit card info?

Brent H

Ultra Member
I do believe so - if you use the credit card as the method of payment through PayPal, when you pay on AliExpress the "AliPay" sends it back to the credit card company as a "Cash Payment" - as it Money gone ASAP....My VISA guy said they would reimburse me as I had no idea this was being done but next time I probably will not be so lucky. He said it was happening a lot just over the last little while. I have written to Pay Pal with nothing replied yet. If you pay from an account via PayPal you would be fine. If I am not correct on this and someone knows how to change something to fix it - please post

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I just did one yesterday..... My paypal is wired to amex..... thx for the heads up.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmm.. I have my CC set up directly to Alipay, its been that way since day-1. I haven't seen any extra charges right up to purchase couple weeks ago. Are you saying this is a PayPal-Visa thing or Ali thing?

I also notice Ebay made changes to take Paypal out of the loop. Supposedly for reduced dinger fees but I haven't tested yet. So they are suggesting to enter your CC and/or bank account for direct deposit & withdrawals. The only downside is I've had to use PayPal to resolve the odd scammer which they did (within a time limit & it wasn't a great experience). Guess I'll have to read the fine print. I still use PayPal to buy/sell things but it slinked to my CC anyways.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I used paypal for my first AliExpress order in 2019. None of my 2020 AliExpress purchases offered paypal as an option so I thought AliExpress had abandoned paypal?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks like PayPay is still available to me on AliExpress.

Brent H

Ultra Member
This is all new in the last couple months - I purchased a set of Broaching cutters - one company - Used PayPal but it shows up as an AliPay - Singapore E-Commerce. Then purchased a NT30 chuck adaptor and set of tap chucks for the mill (oh ya!) these were a different vendor but still came back as a receipt from PayPay to AliPay - no problem with that - just that Alipay is listing the sale as "cash". My exploration into it on the PayPal site shows this to be happening a lot just recently - it is your own credit card company nailing you with the CASH Withdrawal - although it is quite impossible to be in Singapore at the bank machine

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This Ali order was quite recent, within a week or so. Order invoice = CC charge. CC is listed as AliPay method of payment. I've never seen any added fees on that front.
I checked a CDN Ebay order paid with Paypal, same thing exact match. They do charge their unflattering FX rate on USD purchases but I cant say I've seen these 'cash' transactions like you ar ereferencing. The only times things I've experienced weird stuff on Paypal is selling privately. Some insist on 'seller' or 'goods' status..whatever they call it. Maybe so they have some recourse if deal or delivery goes sideways? Others insist on sending cash because it mitigates fees? But I think that only works inter-Paypal in within Canada, foreign transactions are different.

Attachments

• SNAG-12-2-2020 0003.jpg
    SNAG-12-2-2020 0003.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 4
  • SNAG-12-2-2020 0004.jpg
    SNAG-12-2-2020 0004.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 4