Craig's Craftex CX706 Comes Clean

trlvn

Ultra Member
Made a big mess of my 706 today:rolleyes:, decided to totally drain the gearbox oil, that means taking off the front panel as the drain plug is 3/4"above the bottom. A lot of paper towels later to soak up the oil that i didn't catch and i got to examine the gear box internals. Lots of black gunk in the bottom. I may put in a lower drain hole for the future. The apron drain is on the bottom so no issue there except getting small dish to catch the oil. Plan on picking up a QCTP in the near future.
What did you get for gear oil? Are there actually yellow-metal gears in the headstock?

From the earlier discussion on gear oil, I went into Commercial Oil in Hamilton last week and got 4 litres of Lubriko-Gear EP 100 in preparation to change the oil on mine:

IMG_4622 gear oil.jpg

$28 all in. But the guy had me quite confused. I asked about Mobilgear 627 and he talked non-stop for a good 10 minutes about fully synthetic and this and that. To me, this is a pretty low-stress environment for gear oil. As long as it isn't going to attack the metal in my gears, I would think that almost any oil would do a decent job. The web page for this oil says "non-corrosive to steel, brass, bronze and other common bearing materials". A fully synthetic oil was going to be 4X the price!

Incidentally, as I was about the leave I noticed that they have 4L jugs of cutting and tapping fluid. The guy said they are about $30. They also had jugs that included "Way" in the name. I didn't ask (because I was afraid of another 10 minute spiel!) but I'm guessing this might be way oil. And I already have a lifetime supply of way oil.

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
To be clear, the guy at Commercial Oil wasn't trying to up-sell me. He just seemed to like to talk about oil. He also seemed to be able to talk without ever having to pause to breathe!

Enthusiastic, not predatory.

Craig

Last edited:

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Gears are shiny silver color, didn't see any sign of brass gears or bearing bronze bushings. Without tearing it apart i couldn't tell what was used for bearings. I have many different oils on the farm, will likely go with Precision Matthews 75w80 recommendation. The gears could use a deburring, in fact a lot of parts on these machines need a going over to smooth things up.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Went and looked at the Precision Matthews manual i printed off, well worth it, it shows the bearing/bushings in the gear box but doesn't say what material they are made of.